Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 05:57 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgang95 View Post
I am new to this website forgive my lack of information. I have no debt and my monthly bills are roughly $350. The job would be a work at home position but would require me to live in LA limits and travel to downtown LA once or twice a month.

By comfortable living I mean being able to go out occasionally (at most once a week) and spend $100-200 per week if I wanted. I rarely eat out and will do all of my cooking at home.

I am not planning on moving solely because of the weather I have a job opportunity in both LA and Sarasota and am trying to decide what is the best option for me. I do not have the opportunity to visit before I would move except to possibly fly down for two nights which I don't think would do much good. I have no clue about anything LA related as you can tell from my original post.

Overall I have very low monthly bills now, no debt, I am not a frivolous spender, and I have to make a decision solely on what I am able to find online. Thank you everyone for replying and bare with me and my lack of info
Well, that's part of the story anyway. Didn't mention any income expectation...which is half the equation.

I would still respectfully discourage a move to LA, unlike my esteemed co-member here, unless there's something particular to LA that draws you. It's so unlike Sarasota I can't imagine what the one commonality might be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 06:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
I will be possibly moving to LA in the near future and I have a few questions. I am not familiar with anything at all in the area and have no clue what I am getting myself into if I take this position.

-What are areas I could rent that aren't 2,000 per month and aren't little shacks
(I am fine with roommates)

-What is considered a livable salary and or wage in California to live comfortably? Not just survive but to actually live and do things occasionally.

-What are expenses that people normally don't think of when moving to LA. Parking? etc

- Lastly please give me any information that you think would be helpful! I would love to make this move as it is currently -3 here in Illinois : )
Where is this future place of work? City?

Old 01-17-2018, 06:23 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
The most important thing the OP didn't mention was what is the job and what is the salary range. It's been decades since I lived in LA, so many things may have changed. What I recall is LA is a beautiful place with great weather. The job market was really difficult which is why I left. Most people I knew were just subsisting. It seemed people caught up in the Hollywood fantasy were living in somewhat of a dream world. I never felt poorer in my life than I did when my car broke down and I had to take the bus, while the rich people drove by in their luxury convertibles.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
The most important thing the OP didn't mention was what is the job and what is the salary range. It's been decades since I lived in LA, so many things may have changed. What I recall is LA is a beautiful place with great weather. The job market was really difficult which is why I left. Most people I knew were just subsisting. It seemed people caught up in the Hollywood fantasy were living in somewhat of a dream world. I never felt poorer in my life than I did when my car broke down and I had to take the bus, while the rich people drove by in their luxury convertibles.
Things have changed everywhere.

As I said I moved here in 1988, it was rough the first few years, but as time moved on things fell into place mostly due to my own work ethic.

Perhaps you came out here to pursue a career in the entertainment industry, and that is understandable, better to give it a try and even if it doesn't work out they can say they tried, better that than be 55 years old and doing the "what ifs" and regretting not trying.

I had no interest in the entertainment industry other than watching movies and TV, came out after college and did fine, sounds like you came out for fame and fortune perhaps.

LA in many ways isn't that different from other big US cities, people go to work and come home. However we have amazing scenery and lots of interesting things to see and do. More so than other places IMO..

The OP has a job lined up, little to no debt, sounds like they're on the young side and single, best time and scenario to make the move.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:47 PM

13 posts, read 17,294 times
Quote:
I am new to this website forgive my lack of information. I have no debt and my monthly bills are roughly $350. The job would be a work at home position but would require me to live in LA limits and travel to downtown LA once or twice a month.

By comfortable living I mean being able to go out occasionally (at most once a week) and spend $100-200 per week if I wanted. I rarely eat out and will do all of my cooking at home.

I am not planning on moving solely because of the weather I have a job opportunity in both LA and Sarasota and am trying to decide what is the best option for me. I do not have the opportunity to visit before I would move except to possibly fly down for two nights which I don't think would do much good. I have no clue about anything LA related as you can tell from my original post.

Overall I have very low monthly bills now, no debt, I am not a frivolous spender, and I have to make a decision solely on what I am able to find online. Thank you everyone for replying and bare with me and my lack of info
Kind of a life tip, most people tend to underestimate how much things are going to cost when it comes to things like moving or COL.

What do you mean by monthly bills of $350? Is this car, student loans, internet/cable, utilities?

"I will do all my cooking at home". What about when your new friends want to try that new restaurant and get a few drinks and the bill comes to $50? Are you going to be able to swing that or say no in the first place?

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just making sure you're aware of how much things cost in LA. It is an expensive place to live. I just always take pause when I hear of people moving to LA or NYC with such tight margins. It's not that it can't be done, but higher incomes tend to make them much more enjoyable.

But as is obvious, the more roommates you're willing to have, the more comfortable things will be budget-wise.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:54 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
If you would provide your salary range, more specific answers could be given. If you want to know if its possible to do, the answer is yes. But not everyone is comfortable with their living arrangement here. Being a roommate for $1,000 a month would get you into something decent. You would have so many options since the commute isn't really an issue for you. Best to do that especially if you don't know anyone here. I for one could not recommend to move here alone without knowing anyone and working from home.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:27 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Was never interested in fame or fortune or Hollywood but had some relatives who were, who got nowhere. For them it was like waiting for a winning lotto ticket that never came.

I went to High School in LA and SF, and graduated from UCLA. With no connections or money I wasn't able to get off the ground with a career until I moved back to NYC, where I came from. When I came back to NYC it really hit home how different the culture was in LA. At the time I described it as a Disneyland of the mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Things have changed everywhere.

As I said I moved here in 1988, it was rough the first few years, but as time moved on things fell into place mostly due to my own work ethic.

Perhaps you came out here to pursue a career in the entertainment industry, and that is understandable, better to give it a try and even if it doesn't work out they can say they tried, better that than be 55 years old and doing the "what ifs" and regretting not trying.

I had no interest in the entertainment industry other than watching movies and TV, came out after college and did fine, sounds like you came out for fame and fortune perhaps.

LA in many ways isn't that different from other big US cities, people go to work and come home. However we have amazing scenery and lots of interesting things to see and do. More so than other places IMO..

The OP has a job lined up, little to no debt, sounds like they're on the young side and single, best time and scenario to make the move.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:43 PM

76 posts, read 76,998 times
Try LA for a year and if it doesn't work out at least you tried.

Sarasota is cool......If you're 65 and over lol.

But yeah, experience LA.....you won't be disappointed.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:57 AM

9 posts, read 5,002 times
Interesting read.

My questions under the thread 'Assistance request: moving from Europe to Los Angeles' are very much alike the questions of Morgan95.

Iam not the youngest (+35) and reading the response would I be right to have at least a monthly budget expenditure capacity of US$ 1.750 for a modest way of living (renting a room and all other basic needs)?

I am looking for some ballpoint figures on basis of which I can make all necessary preparations and to set-up my financial base.

Any advice or information on this matter is highly appreciated.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:24 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbornUSA View Post
Interesting read.

My questions under the thread 'Assistance request: moving from Europe to Los Angeles' are very much alike the questions of Morgan95.

Iam not the youngest (+35) and reading the response would I be right to have at least a monthly budget expenditure capacity of US$ 1.750 for a modest way of living (renting a room and all other basic needs)?

I am looking for some ballpoint figures on basis of which I can make all necessary preparations and to set-up my financial base.

Any advice or information on this matter is highly appreciated.
The most important figure is your salary/income. Without that it is hard to help as expenses now will not match expenses in CA exactly and there may be other expenses you are not aware of, in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles