Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 02:55 PM

7 posts, read 18,747 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have an opportunity to transfer my job to Pico Rivera or San Fernando from Dayton, Ohio. I was wondering if anyone could give me some pro's and con's on each of these places such as climate, crime, traffic, proximity to fun things to do, and so on. Any and all info/opinions is very much appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 03:18 PM

100 posts, read 543,913 times
Neither of them are really good places to live as they're both lower class cities with gang problems... Pico Rivera is somewhat close to downtown LA while San Fernando is somewhat far from it.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:23 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Except for certain parts of Whittier, Pico Rivera and the surrounding communites are nearly all Latino. San Fernando and the immediate area is also heavily Latino, but nicer/more diverse neighborhoods like Burbank and Northridge aren't that far away. If you make plenty of money, La Crescenta is also pretty close and is a very nice area.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:31 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,861 times
for crime just check out the murder blog on the LA times. it will give you a picture of crime that happens in this area. i think there might have been more crime in San fernando than pico. pico has some surrounding neighborhoods that are safer than the valley as well. i personally would not move to SF. it is hot in the summer, a lil grimey and heavy with traffic since everyone goes north on the 5. but then again everyone goes south on the 5 past pico. anyhow you should wiki both these cities check out demographic stats. look at income or poverty levels. check median home prices and look at crime stats. but if i had to choose i would prefer pico rivera. and pico is half the distance to DT than san fer. its also closer to night spots in whittier or fullerton if you chose to party in the OC. many htings to consider. but yes both are predominantly brown cities...as is a lot of LA

Old 03-21-2008, 06:52 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
San Fernando is in the extreme north end of the San Fernando Valley. Surrounding it is suburbia. California State University Northridge is probably a half hour away (though it is a pretty boring university). I wouldn't be concerned about crime during the day if you worked there; I'd more be concerned with boredom for a younger single person. Happening places are closer to the south side of the SFV and really happening are further south in the west LA, Santa Monica areas (there are many more). It is also pretty expensive compared to Dayton when comparing what you get for the same money.

If it's a good job, then great. It may be a little tough for other things like a social life.

Traffic out from SF is generally tough to the places I mentioned above unless you beat it on a Saturday night.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:09 AM

3 posts, read 8,589 times
Default Pico Rivera

LOOK: don't listen to these douche bags. I grew up in Pico Rivera for 20+ years and it is a safe city. What part were you looking to move to?

Old 03-22-2008, 04:56 PM

637 posts, read 3,235,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddogg765 View Post
Hi, I have an opportunity to transfer my job to Pico Rivera or San Fernando from Dayton, Ohio. I was wondering if anyone could give me some pro's and con's on each of these places such as climate, crime, traffic, proximity to fun things to do, and so on. Any and all info/opinions is very much appreciated. Thank you.
Learn to speak spanish...

Old 12-10-2008, 04:10 PM

65 posts, read 245,830 times
must be the only way they can get teachers into those areas......choose San Fernando over Pico Rivera.
San Fernando is low income, however it's quaint and those who live there do take pride in their community. Welcome, I think you'll like it.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:47 AM

571 posts, read 1,931,883 times
San Fernando is alot different from Pico Rivera, if you aren't used to living in those types of places, you probably wouldn't like it. Pico Rivera is middle class, diverse, fairly safe, and surrounded by other safe working class areas like Whittier. San Fernando would feel alot more isolated. The only time we go up there is for the swap meet

I would definately go with Pico Rivera..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles