Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 09:20 PM

152 posts, read 165,864 times

Advertisements

I live in Lynwood, ca and I'm in Compton most days of the week, I have so many friends that live there. I also think south central los angels in general is getting better. sometimes I'll ride the blue line metro from where I live to get to downtown, I've had no problems at all. I truly think its getting better.
but back to Compton, ill shop at the Compton towne center some times, every time I walk through he parking lot there, I feels like a quiet peaceful walk to me, but not a lot of people walking around. if you look at the crime stats, Compton and even let alone LA is getting much better. I like this, it makes LA more livable in my opinion. what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 09:38 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Come back at night..

Old 01-18-2018, 10:41 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,819,371 times
It's called gentrification. Gradually price the bad elements out and suddenly neighborhoods get nicer and safer

Old 01-19-2018, 04:25 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Haven't you heard ? Compton is L.A new "hot and trendy" neighborhood according to CBS and some realtor that sells property in Compton .

Compton Is L.A.’s Hot New Housing Market « CBS Los Angeles

Old 01-19-2018, 04:53 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Every ghetto hood in CA is gentrifying at a rapid pace, and soon there won’t be anymore truly “bad” areas since most of the poor that currently live there, will be forced out by rising rents and insane housing prices.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:16 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Every ghetto hood in CA is gentrifying at a rapid pace, and soon there won’t be anymore truly “bad” areas since most of the poor that currently live there, will be forced out by rising rents and insane housing prices.
Still a lot of L.A that isn't gentrified . Since it's a huge city I don't imagine the whole city will ever be gentrified.
Also I think sometimes people assume rising prices means the area is improving or gentrifying but this isn't the case in L.A , a rising tide lifts all ships here .

In other parts of the country you need actual improvement for prices to go up .

Prices have been going up but there is still a lot of poverty here.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:21 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,533 times
Wear red or blue and come back and give an update on how it went.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:04 AM

827 posts, read 658,903 times
It may not be that bad if you happen to be black. But for white people you had better not let the sun set on your back.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:06 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquildreamer95 View Post
I live in Lynwood, ca and I'm in Compton most days of the week, I have so many friends that live there. I also think south central los angels in general is getting better. sometimes I'll ride the blue line metro from where I live to get to downtown, I've had no problems at all. I truly think its getting better.
but back to Compton, ill shop at the Compton towne center some times, every time I walk through he parking lot there, I feels like a quiet peaceful walk to me, but not a lot of people walking around. if you look at the crime stats, Compton and even let alone LA is getting much better. I like this, it makes LA more livable in my opinion. what do you guys think?
Just about every major city is better than it was in 1990.

I think you are probably young, and in live in a neighborhood that doesn't exactly have the greatest reputation so when you goto Compton you feel right at home. According to FBI stats, Compton has a crime rate that is higher than 82% of the state's cities and towns of all sizes. Next...

Old 01-19-2018, 07:38 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Still a lot of L.A that isn't gentrified . Since it's a huge city I don't imagine the whole city will ever be gentrified.
Also I think sometimes people assume rising prices means the area is improving or gentrifying but this isn't the case in L.A , a rising tide lifts all ships here .

In other parts of the country you need actual improvement for prices to go up .

Prices have been going up but there is still a lot of poverty here.

I understand, but with the housing shortage being so bad in L.A., and an increase in population, somethings gotta give. Even as massive as L.A. is, the gentrification will actually accelerate poverty (which is already horribly bad) and create more homeless families. At the same time, rising property values with wealthier newcomers into a former poor neighborhood attracts new commercial development. Starbucks, Target, Bank, trendy stores and restaurants soon follow suit.

I was actually just watching that show “Flip or Flop” and one of the episodes was based in Long Beach. Well the couple (investors) bought a 1600sqft home for $420,000 in an average part of LBC. But the House was trashed and needed major repairs to the entire house, these people seriously had their work cut out for them. They obviously added upgrades and totally remodeled the whole house including the backyard.

The transformation was pretty spectacular and the couple spent around 160K on the whole project which is insane, but in a housing market as tight as CA, it didn’t matter.

For a home built in 63, and isn’t that big especially the front yard and smallish garage, it sold for 745K!

This is Long Beach, not some high end neighborhood so to see a home sell for so much in LB is scary! Soon, all of these super old houses will be selling for millions of dollars, which will be the new norm in the next few years. So it is very telling on what the potential is for cities and hoods that for decades people have turned their backs on. Now all of a sudden you’re having upper middle class professionals wanting to live in the ghetto or average working class communities, this has never happened before.

CA is truly becoming the land of strictly the wealthy.

I’m not against rich people or someone that’s well off, but we seriously need a balance in society. We still need working class people to do the jobs a wealthy person could never imagine doing and still having an affordable place for them to live..The American dream for anyone that wants to own a home, is long gone in this state. The grass is greener elsewhere.

I also believe there should be a permanent ban on investors in this tight housing market in all the major CA cities, as they are the ones mostly buying up the last affordable properties, fixing them up, and flipping them for a fortune, thus taking away the ability and potential for some family to purchase the home instead, and fix it up little by little over time. But no, they are easily outbidded by an investor with loads of cash on hand. It’s an unfair playing field.

They are mainly to blame for driving up prices on the low end, which in turn, starts the gentrification process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles