Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 04:29 PM

373 posts, read 348,773 times

Advertisements

How do the people in la that have **** jobs or no jobs or bad credit etc afford to live there ?
How do the welfare scammers , illegals , drug addicts , and other low income dead end job people afford to live in a city with the best weather on the planet and great outdoors and ammenities ?

I know I wouldn't want to live like that , sure la is probably the #1 city I would choose to live in for the reasons I just mentioned but I can say I couldn't afford it , sure I could swing rent , but truck payment , gas , insurance , everyday expenses , etc I wouldn't be living . Why live somewhere so great if you can't enjoy what makes it great

But back on track how do the lazy , low income , ghetto area etc how do they stay there ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 06:02 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
They live in rent controlled apts, section 8 or houses that have been in the families for generations and then they stick like 10 or more people into 2-3 bedrooms

Old 01-20-2018, 06:13 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Buildings in poorer area don't run credit or they would have too hard of a time filling vacancies.
Also LA is ground zero for Illegals, as mentioned they will load up in apartment, houses, find the fun in simple things, and become very resourceful at doing things like small car repairs. Schools in LAUSD nowadays regardless of income give kids free breakfast, lunch, after school meals and even an early supper in some cases.

Much like NYC, the culture here is completely normal to be 30, 40 something living with roommates.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:13 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Same as they are able to live in any high cost city .

Rent control , section 8 , living with family that might have paid off homes or tiny mortgages

Bunking up and putting many people in one apartment or house .

Old 01-21-2018, 01:03 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,388,084 times
LA is not the only city in the region. You see that in all these lower income communities in South Central region from Long Beach to Carson to South Gate, Huntington Park, Whittier, Also in the San Gabriel Valley eastern areas. Orange County has communities like that, too. Not everyone is paying $2000 for a 1 bedroom or $3000 for 2 bedroom. Do you think people in Compton or Watts are paying $3000 like people do in Beverly Hills or Santa Monica? So many areas including LA City have these converted garages which are cheap and non-standard apartments. Also people also live in generational families. Grandparents, parents, aunts/uncles grandchildren in a larger home. So you have maybe 4-6 incomes contributing towards household income.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:29 AM

Interesting stuff . Isn't that illegal to stuff people into an apartment that aren't on the lease ?
Or do the landlords just not care because it's undesirable areas .

How has the city not caught up with demand and creates more affordable housing for the middle class . People that don't want to live with 3 people but also aren't blessed with a 100k tech job

Old 01-21-2018, 09:12 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Most landlords are oblivious and/or don’t care that people are stuffing 10 bodies in a small apartment. They just want the rent $. Sure some care but most don’t.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:18 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Yeah I used to work with a lady that lived in one of those apartments .
She said the owners didn't care how many people lived in each unit .

They also sounded like slumlords and she said they wouldn't fix stuff or they would wait until they could find a part to fix things at thrift stores or discount stores .

I used to pass by the building . Good location as it was in Westwood area near the VA but it was a very old building and looked pretty run down .

Same family owned a dry cleaners across the street she said. Would be interesting to hear their story . They must be worth many millions owning prime property.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:48 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
Interesting stuff . Isn't that illegal to stuff people into an apartment that aren't on the lease ?
Or do the landlords just not care because it's undesirable areas .

How has the city not caught up with demand and creates more affordable housing for the middle class . People that don't want to live with 3 people but also aren't blessed with a 100k tech job
There isn't much unused space for new construction. Zoning laws make it difficult to build new homes and especially difficult to build large multi unit buildings. People who own property are generally against anything that will create thousands of new homes or apartments because it will negatively effect property values. When developers can build new construction they are building luxury apartment buildings because it's profitable. Just like NYC and SF, LA is never going to be an "affordable" city to live in.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
There isn't much unused space for new construction. Zoning laws make it difficult to build new homes and especially difficult to build large multi unit buildings. People who own property are generally against anything that will create thousands of new homes or apartments because it will negatively effect property values. When developers can build new construction they are building luxury apartment buildings because it's profitable. Just like NYC and SF, LA is never going to be an "affordable" city to live in.

Is it affordable in the valley away from the coast more ?

I can work at any of the Los Angeles county airports . Not sure if just la itself is outrageous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles