Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 09:11 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
So even if you make over $100K a year, say you make at least $200k annually, you'll still have trouble finding a home there?
If you want to avoid living in an area with constant car break ins, fences full of graffiti, trash all over the street, and where wearing blue or red clothes means an instant death sentence, then yeah, you'll probably need a budget upwards of $800,000+.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 10:19 AM

13 posts, read 13,989 times
Just about all large metropolitan markets have become unattainable for the working and middle classes, domestically and especially internationally. The world population was 2.5 billion in 1950, now it's 7.5 billion. Land and building resources are much more scarce.

Also, there's a lot of nostalgia in these posts, especially harking back to the 1950's. I doubt the nostalgia includes blacks, Latinos, Asians, and other minority groups who were socially and even legally barred from buying homes in most L.A. neighborhoods.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhollywoodblvd View Post
Just about all large metropolitan markets have become unattainable for the working and middle classes, domestically and especially internationally. The world population was 2.5 billion in 1950, now it's 7.5 billion. Land and building resources are much more scarce.

Also, there's a lot of nostalgia in these posts, especially harking back to the 1950's. I doubt the nostalgia includes blacks, Latinos, Asians, and other minority groups who were socially and even legally barred from buying homes in most L.A. neighborhoods.
Where are you getting that information? Blacks, certainly. in fact they could not even be on the streets in some areas during the 50s, but Latinos and Asians could be found living everywhere in the L.A. metro area. Name me a city or neighborhood in Los Angeles county that did not allow Hispanics and Asians to buy houses or where you could not find them living.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:37 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
In the mid-70’s, I was able to rent apartments that were clean & comfortable, for very reasonable rent, month-to-month, pets allowed, in Westwood, Culver City & the Belmont Shore area of Long Beach...all safe, desirable areas. No roommates.

It wasn’t until I went back to college full time that I had roommates, & we still lived in a safe area, in a brand-new apartment complex.

I won’t even say how cheap college tuition was back then...
College tuition for sure. But again, we do have to remember salaries were much lower. I can't remember how much our tuition was in the 50s but I do know college, including room and board did run only about $1500 or so a year.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:16 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
If you want to avoid living in an area with constant car break ins, fences full of graffiti, trash all over the street, and where wearing blue or red clothes means an instant death sentence, then yeah, you'll probably need a budget upwards of $800,000+.
Now that's crazy.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:41 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Now that's crazy.
The official slogan of California.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:52 AM

13 posts, read 13,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Where are you getting that information? Blacks, certainly. in fact they could not even be on the streets in some areas during the 50s, but Latinos and Asians could be found living everywhere in the L.A. metro area. Name me a city or neighborhood in Los Angeles county that did not allow Hispanics and Asians to buy houses or where you could not find them living.

Housing discrimination against many races was common knowledge, or so I thought. The Fair Housing Act wasn't signed into law until 1968. "Redlining", harassment, and other laws and techniques are well documented. It's an easy web search.

Start by searching: THE HISTORY OF SEGREGATION IN LOS ANGELES:A REPORT ON RACIAL DISCRIMINATION AND ITS LEGACY--University of Southern California

The paper begins with a quote of what was handed out to potential buyers of a new housing tract in Van Nuys in 1948:

"No person whose blood is not entirely that of the Caucasian race (and for the purpose of this paragraph no Japanese, Chinese, Mexican, Hindu, or any person of the Ethiopian, Indian, or Mongolian races shall be deemedto be Caucasian) shall at any time live upon any of the lots in said tract15010."

Old 01-30-2018, 12:01 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhollywoodblvd View Post
Housing discrimination against many races was common knowledge, or so I thought.
Latinos were routinely discriminated against in public schools until the late 1940s. See Mendez vs. Westminster.

The year was 1945, and the United States was a much different place back then. Elementary school students in Orange County California, as well as many other parts of the country, were forced to attend segregated schools. What did this mean? It meant that Anglo children went to “white” schools, African-American children went to “black” schools, and Mexican-American children went to “Mexican” schools.

Case History | Mendez v Westminster

Old 01-30-2018, 12:14 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,685 times
Ad to the "back in the day" infor. WORK was always available. I never considered what I'd do for summer until after the final tests were done.

In Junior College we were told sales and regressive taxes were to be avoided like the plague, until all levels of government found that those taxes didn't have a "constituency" and could be raised all day/week/month long. Add to that that since the early eighties the private sector really hasn't been the place to be, unless you own the store.

Virtually ALL that are well set are in government somewhere, or jobs that a quasi-government like Hydro, airports, and security. Must be mind-numbing, though. No wonder there's such a market for good drugs.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:30 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohnson99 View Post
I'm a third-generation Californian, and my dad was born in Monterey in 1955, but he grew up in the Bay Area (Fremont and Hayward). He always tells me that even back when he was a kid, while the cost of living was significantly less, the Bay Area still cost more than other parts of the country.

Is the same thing true for LA, or was it once as affordable as Houston?

Thanks!

L.A.'s fine, the sun shines most the time
And the feeling is "lay back"
Palm trees grow and rents are low
But you know I keep thinkin' about…

Neil Diamond, 1971
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles