Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2018, 09:24 AM

427 posts, read 368,199 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the Midwest and took a job in California 15 years ago.

You don't really begin to know what's going on with the world until sometime in your late teen years. By that account I figure I've spent more conscious time in California then in the Midwest.

I know that California is a tough place to live, but I've been doing it so long now I think I have tunnel vision. I tell people I would like to leave but they just tell me I'm going to make less wages in another state and it doesn't make much difference. But I also see some people leave California and they say they love their new home, and never look back.

I know grocery and utility prices are very reasonable in CA, and costs of car ownership are quite high.

I make 70K year in aerospace, and have a $2000 mortgage. So that being said any other discussion about living elsewhere is on the table. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 09:41 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
It's likely you might make less but then your cost of living .. mostly housing will likely go down .

Have you looked at what wages are out of state for jobs similar to yours .
Sometimes people in CA make it seem like everyone is making peanuts working out of state .

Living in CA it seems people do mostly for lifestyle versus saving the most money .

Since you already own a home here in CA I'd say it makes more sense to stay .
If you were paying all that money in rent without a good hope of owning property I'd say it would make more sense to move .

Old 01-25-2018, 12:16 PM

240 posts, read 240,516 times
I am assuming there certain areas where Aerospace is more in demand... do any of those markets interest you? If so, Bank Rate has a pretty great Cost of Living calculator. https://www.bankrate.com/calculators...alculator.aspx

Old 01-26-2018, 03:51 PM

567 posts, read 431,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post

You don't really begin to know what's going on with the world until sometime in your late teen years. By that account I figure I've spent more conscious time in California then in the Midwest.

I know that California is a tough place to live, but I've been doing it so long now I think I have tunnel vision. I tell people I would like to leave but they just tell me I'm going to make less wages in another state and it doesn't make much difference. But I also see some people leave California and they say they love their new home, and never look back.

I know grocery and utility prices are very reasonable in CA, and costs of car ownership are quite high.

I make 70K year in aerospace, and have a $2000 mortgage. So that being said any other discussion about living elsewhere is on the table. Thanks
If your main reason for wanting to move is cost of living, who can argue with you that. Housing is certainly less expensive in such places as Phoenix, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City or Denver. I only mentioned those cities because I've spent a fair amount of time there. Phoenix and Vegas are full of California transplants.

Life is certainly more manageable when you're not struggling to pay your bills, and living from pay check to pay check, with little, if anything left over for those last minute expenditures like car repairs or plumbing problems, etc.

Of course there's always going to be trade-offs. In SoCal we have great weather, the Pacific Ocean at our doorsteps, beautiful mountains, and an abundance of entertainment and cultural venues. If you can live without that, then maybe it's time to move to a more affordable city and start anew. Most transplants I speak to miss certain things about SoCal, but seem very content in their new environment.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:27 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
There are a lot of cities with higher paying wages like SF, DC, NY, Boston, etc. LA really isnt that high paying — only difference is the costs are just as high as the other cities, so everyone is poorer.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:38 AM

334 posts, read 286,023 times
Homes in Austin TX are a lot cheaper and some aerospace there too. Good luck dude whatever u do.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:29 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post

FL Space coast. Expanding jobs in that market and definitely a lower cost of living.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:26 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
There are a lot of cities with higher paying wages like SF, DC, NY, Boston, etc. LA really isnt that high paying — only difference is the costs are just as high as the other cities, so everyone is poorer.
It's not just large, expensive coastal cities like Boston, NY, DC and SF that offer higher wages for equivalent work relative to Los Angeles. Employers in cities you would least expect, such as Cleveland, Dallas and Kansas City, for example, often pay higher wages for the same work as employers in Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles