Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 05:04 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rats View Post
yep.. that's the truth. it historically doesn't matter to employers whether you got your Bachelor's degree from Harvard or Cal State LA.
People can go through the motions. Why would I go to SMCC when I live and work near LAMC and choose teachers who teach both at a CSU and a CC? I'm just saying, for everyone trying to make SMCC seem like the best, and places like LAVC, Pierce and LAMC crappy CC, that isn't true. If I wanted to I could go to a damn good school from LAMC. Comparing Harvard and Cal State LA is just stupid. I'm just sick and tired of people talking trash about certain colleges simply because the other has a "name". I'm not saying UCLA is a bad school, but I can do great things with a BA and MBA from a place like CSUN. If the OP wants to go to SMCC because everyone says "you're a shoe-in for UCLA" then go for it. But judging from his/her less than energectic response about not being sure they want to obtain a simple BA tells me they shouldn't waste their time with UCLA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 07:01 PM

422 posts, read 1,819,086 times
Jeez, why do so many people on this board seem to be unable to resist injecting race into EVERYTHING?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:11 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
Jeez, why do so many people on this board seem to be unable to resist injecting race into EVERYTHING?
Yeah I wondered that, too. If you have a negative experience, you have a negative experience. Why blame the negative experience on the person's race?

Rats, I understand your point, but I think it really matters what field you are going into. I'd feel better with a Harvard grad than a CSU Ghetto (only the LA campus) if I needed an accountant or lawyer. But for almost everything else, you are right it almost doesn't matter, but unfortunately, there are elitists everywhere. Btw CSUN is good school, especially for TV and Film. They also have a noted deaf studies program.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:07 PM

Hey CE, I'm a former (and still partly) Arkansan. I take it you're moving there. Where to?

Old 03-27-2008, 06:34 PM

If all goes according to plan, Hot Springs.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:50 PM

I misspent many a weekend of my younger days in Hot Springs, specifically at the racetrack. Good luck.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:20 PM

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles