Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 12:13 PM

428 posts, read 969,876 times

Advertisements

I had been on here since 2009. We had our daughter and saved up to buy in Long Island, imagined her school and younger years in LI. Now LA is calling me!

I’m originally from Miami born and raised, and LI reminded me a lot of suburb Miami. I liked it from a distance for so long. We lived in Queens for 8 years before we bought our house. Now we’ve lived in LI for 1 year, and while the neighborhood is plenty nice and activities are cool- it’s not me. There isn’t enough gong on and it’s lonely and old fashioned/geriatric a bit. I can’t imagine living here another 5-10-15 years.

I’ve been to LA 3 times since this summer, and I’m loving it. I think the suburby neighborhoods have plenty of young families and kids, and my daughter could have an amazing childhood there too. I find LI lonely and blah. We don’t have any family or friends in the area. Even if we make friends, I don’t see it right now.

Disclosure- I’m not interested in moving back to Miami.

What can you tell me? Should we just move to LA from NY? I’m not interested in buying property in LA right now. All we want is a little space, the lifestyle and to feel alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 12:28 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
How do you plan on just moving with a child? No mention of jobs.

You're way too vague. What is it that you like about LA?

Old 01-26-2018, 12:36 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,194 times
all of LA is like a Long Island suburb

Old 01-26-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
How do you plan on just moving with a child? No mention of jobs.

You're way too vague. What is it that you like about LA?
A place and a job is a given. She’s 3.5 and hasn’t started school yet. We’ll work on the job and place as soon as we decide that we actually want to live there.

The winters are insanely rough here, everything is hard and old fashioned and crowded. I want to be out and about in a good diverse community, professional minorities, Santa Monica, relaxed beach life, weekends out in good weather with my family and friends. A fun non concrete jungle, some nightlife. NY suburbs have gross (no) nightlife.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
all of LA is like a Long Island suburb
I didn’t gather that at all. Not even a little bit. Why do you feel that way?

Old 01-26-2018, 02:27 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
I want to be out and about in a good diverse community, professional minorities, Santa Monica, relaxed beach life, weekends out in good weather with my family and friends. A fun non concrete jungle, some nightlife.
If you can afford it, Santa Monica has all this, but does not offer a "relaxed beach life," as it is densely populated and surprisingly urbanized.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I didn’t gather that at all. Not even a little bit. Why do you feel that way?
I don't get any of your complaints about where you are now. Where exactly do you live, Suffolk County?

Old 01-26-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I don't get any of your complaints about where you are now. Where exactly do you live, Suffolk County?
Yes, Suffolk (Huntington, Elwood schools). Basically Greenlawn ��

Old 01-26-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, Suffolk (Huntington, Elwood schools). Basically Greenlawn ��
Ok, that makes sense. Most of the time I've spent on LI has been Oceanside, Hempstead, Rockville Center etc. To me those areas are pretty comparable to the San Fernando Valley area out here. But I know Suffolk is a little more family orientated.

Personally I have a daughter around the same age and we moved further out of LA into one of the more boring family friendly suburbs. If you move here just pay close attention to school districts because they mostly suck especially in City of LA. If you have the money for Santa Monica then schools are very good there but if you end up someplace else you might have to consider private schools

Old 01-26-2018, 02:54 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,977,985 times
So you left Queens for a more quiet suburban life and now you still want a suburban life, but with a little more pop. Is that it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles