Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2018, 01:20 AM

22 posts, read 24,411 times

Advertisements

From what I have read, some states do allow periodic "routine inspections", but CA is not one of them. They can only come in to fix something, inspect waterbeds, or in an emergency. Otherwise, they are supposed to have a court order. But he claims his insurance company is telling him to do it. I guess they don't know it's illegal, or they don't care. I have had the flu, so the house is messy, and I don't feel like dealing with someone snooping around, looking for some reason to evict me. How do I say no, without pissing him off? Because when housing is scarce, no one wants a pissed off landlord. This is a single family house, not under rent control. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 07:42 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,547,571 times
I'm not sure why you think a court order is necessary, but it isn't. They do have to provide 24 hours' notice before entering, but the property belongs to the landlord, and the manager and/or owner has the right to do an inspection. Why don't you just ask the inspection to be postponed? I've been through several city inspections since I've lived here almost 9 years, and I don't mind. I do sometimes wish more notice was given, but this is one of the drawbacks of living in an apartment.

Last edited by SandyCo; 01-28-2018 at 09:07 AM..

Old 01-28-2018, 07:56 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,836,155 times
You are still required to allow entry with a 24 hour notice.

Here is a summary of the entire statute....

Permissible Reasons for Entry: An owner and any agents, contractors, or employees of the owner may enter a dwelling unit only in the following cases:

In the case of an emergency.
To make necessary or agreed repairs, decorations, alterations, or improvements.
To supply necessary or agreed services.
To show the dwelling unit to prospective or actual purchasers, mortgagees, residents, workers, or contractors.
To make an inspection pursuant to subdivision (f) of Section 1950.5 of the California Civil Code, if requested by the tenant.
To repair, test, and/or maintain smoke or carbon monoxide detectors as allowed by Health and Safety Code Section 13113.7 and 13260.
To inspect a waterbed for compliance with the installation requirements of Civil Code 1940.5.
When the resident has abandoned or surrendered the premises.
Pursuant to a court order.

No judge will disagree with a landlords right to enter in order to maintain his homeowners insurance.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:02 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,897,165 times
Why don't you just tell him you have a bad flu but can be ready a week or so from now?

Old 01-28-2018, 08:14 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
As others have stated, you can't say no. They just have to give proper notice (24 hours). Such is life when renting. Get used to it.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:55 AM

28 posts, read 22,925 times
You should have at least 24 hours before the inspection. With no prior warning, you can rightfully refuse them from entering

Old 01-29-2018, 10:56 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,569,634 times
Did you read your lease before you signed it, and agreed to the terms, and conditions?

Old 01-29-2018, 12:00 PM

13 posts, read 13,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBass View Post
From what I have read, some states do allow periodic "routine inspections", but CA is not one of them.

Not if you are in a rent controlled unit in Los Angeles. The L.A. City rent control board requires inspections of all rent control units, if the tenant wants it or not.

From the website of Housing + Community Investment Department (HCIDLA):

Currently, the HCIDLA is making every effort to inspect all residential rental properties at least once every three years. The inspections are comprehensive, that is, the housing inspector will inspect all buildings, rental units, and common areas of your property to verify they meet the building codes and standards for rental housing.

When I had a rent control apartment years ago, it was worse. They came every year for a couple of years, and then every two years. I felt like I was in government housing with no privacy rights.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:14 PM

22 posts, read 24,411 times
Default They inspected, and are now selling house

Took everyone's advice, and allowed the inspection. Scrubbed the place from top to bottom; looked great. Turns out she wanted to make sure everything was OK so she could put the house up for sale. My lease has run out, single family home not under rent control, so it looks like I have no recourse, right? I just wished they would wait until my kids finish up the school year. So hard to move them, and to find another single family home. For the record, I have been a very good polite tenant, and have put up with a lot of problems with electricity sparking and going out, doors that won't lock or stick, plumbing problems, heating problems, leaks, floods, mold, floors buckling, things breaking, etc. And I have been the one calling the repairmen, and waiting at home all day for them to show up. They gave me 60 days, and I've been looking every day since. Also, do I still need to give them 30 days notice? It's hard to get the finances together for a new deposit, and moving expenses, and pay double rent for a month.

Last edited by CatBass; 02-20-2018 at 11:45 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 07:55 AM

665 posts, read 613,154 times
I think you should move into a small apartment building (8 units or less), duplex, triplex or 4-plex. These are not owned by flippers and others trying to rich off of real estate. And if they are you're not going to have to move out depending on the new owner. Unfortunately, if you live in SFH and rent you're at the owner's mercy of what they want to do with the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles