Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 09:03 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
That is the majority of the reasons why...however what I see here in the Bay Area are able bodied folks strung out on meth or whatever other drug they are on.

CA makes it easy to be homeless for those who lack ambition and want to live a life buzzed all day long.

CA spends more on social programs than any other state.

Comparison of State and Local Government Spending in the United States

Until you get out there every single day and encounter the homeless in CA you won't truly have a grasp on who they are and how they live. There is a guy who lives under a bridge on my bike trail...he is as happy as a lark living there. He see's nothing wrong with the filthy dump he has created all around him nor nothing wrong with the bike chop shop at this camp. Nor does he see anything wrong with the metal and large discarded objects that's toss into the wetland waters by this camp.

I see other bridges where people bring food to the folks living under those bridges...these camps are notorious for drug use and drug sales.

This is the majority of the homeless that I see here in Northern CA on a daily basis. You won't find these behaviors in most major cities. The homeless here know they can do whatever they want and the laws don't pertain to them and no one here is enforcing the laws.

Why are the majority doing drugs? To treat undiagnosed mental illness which in turn creates a cycle that prevents employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 09:46 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
https://www.dailynews.com/2018/04/16...ssness-crisis/

Old 04-16-2018, 09:49 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,425,125 times
If Garcetti runs for president like he wants to do all the Republicans have to do is run on TV ads pictures of LA's skid row.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:47 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,179,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

I have 5 acres in Palmdale I would happily sell them. I eagerly await their call....

Old 04-16-2018, 12:34 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Miss me with that "you made your choice" BS. I made a perfectly rational choice to have two children when I was married and financially able to do so.
You may think it's rational to have children when you have not finished your college degree but I don't.
Quote:
Bootstrapping is a myth, it's nonsense and all the Horatio Alger stories on City Data are for the most part just that, stories.
There is nothing factual about anything you just posted. I made it through the process of bootstrapping. I have met many folks who have done the same thing.
Quote:
They support a narrative that people who have virtually nothing are somehow able to rise from the ashes like a phoenix and earn a doctorate and own a mansion in beverly hills if only they have the talent and ambition of an anonymous City-Data poster and it is truly laughable.
Interesting I have not read one single story of anyone claiming anything that you just wrote.
Quote:
I don't make excuses for the homeless
Yes you do. I have read it so often in your posts in addition see how you continuously challenge anyone who points out disturbing homeless behaviors.
Quote:
but I do recognize that the only way to get them off the streets is to offer them a place to sleep at night, so perhaps rather than entertaining fantasies about constructing huge mental hospitals or camps in the desert we should start with recognizing that only 1/4 of the homeless in Los Angeles have access to a homeless shelter and figure out how to increase shelter space?
So your solution is to only deal with 1/4 of the homeless and forget the other 3/4?

There are large numbers of homeless people that require treatment in a mental institution.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Why are the majority doing drugs?
Heck if I know. It typically goes hand in hand with mental illness which further exasperates their mental illness.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:42 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Heck if I know. It typically goes hand in hand with mental illness which further exasperates their mental illness.
Because drugs are not just a homeless thing. Way too many people do drugs now and the homeless are just a small portion of them. There is a difference between being mentally ill and stupid.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:44 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
You may think it's rational to have children when you have not finished your college degree but I don't .
And with your opinion and $4 I could get a cup of coffee.
Quote:
There are large numbers of homeless people that require treatment in a mental institution.
There are a substantial number of homeless people who have mental health issues, that does NOT mean that they all need to be locked up in a mental hospital at a cost of $600-$1000 a day, nor does it mean that a court would adjudicate them as being so disabled that they could be held in a mental hospital against their will.
Quote:
There is nothing factual about anything you just posted. I made it through the process of bootstrapping. I have met many folks who have done the same thing. Interesting I have not read one single story of anyone claiming anything that you just wrote. Yes you do. I have read it so often in your posts in addition see how you continuously challenge anyone who points out disturbing homeless behaviors.
Sounds like something I said struck a nerve, no need to get so testy, I'm not attacking you.
Quote:
So your solution is to only deal with 1/4 of the homeless and forget the other 3/4?
Where'd you get that? What I said was that in LA there is currently only enough shelter space for 1/4 of the homeless
Quote:
There are a substantial number of the homeless who have mental health issues, that does not mean that they should be locked up in mental hospitals at a cost of $600-$1,000 a day and it does not mean that a judge would adjudicate a large number of them as being so disabled that they should be confined against their will.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
And with your opinion and $4 I could get a cup of coffee.
Non-Sequitur.
Quote:
There are a substantial number of homeless people who have mental health issues, that does NOT mean that they all need to be locked up in a mental hospital at a cost of $600-$1000 a day, nor does it mean that a court would adjudicate them as being so disabled that they could be held in a mental hospital against their will.
Then what should it mean?
Quote:
Sounds like something I said struck a nerve, no need to get so testy, I'm not attacking you.
Odd how you just ascribed a narrative to me that is far from accurate. In fact I typically see posters do this as a ploy to dodge and evade addressing what I posted.
Quote:
Where'd you get that? What I said was that in LA there is currently only enough shelter space for 1/4 of the homeless
Ok I see that now.
Quote:
There are a substantial number of the homeless who have mental health issues, that does not mean that they should be locked up in mental hospitals at a cost of $600-$1,000 a day and it does not mean that a judge would adjudicate a large number of them as being so disabled that they should be confined against their will.
Then what should it mean?

Old 04-16-2018, 01:20 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
Interesting take aways from this article

Homeless that supposedly want shelter refuse to move areas .

If they are in the valley they want to stay in the valley . If on westside they don’t want to leave westside . Should they have a choice ?

The city is going to bribe neighborhoods into approving homeless shelters by offering more cleanup of homeless sites!

“Szabo said the mayor’s plan includes some incentives for neighborhoods to buy into the plan. The mayor is also proposing to double the crews being made available for homeless encampment cleanups, by adding another $17 million into the sanitation bureau’s budget for that purpose. In order to obtain the additional clean-up crews, a council district would need to have a emergency or shelter ready by January 1.”

LA mayor unveiling $20 million emergency shelter plan to tackle homelessness crisis

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/04/16...ssness-crisis/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles