Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 05:37 PM

26,580 posts, read 26,445,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
You were quoting from a post by "notmeofficer", who was a troll.
A cop who, from what I can see, is still posting here. Sorry you didn't happen to agree with him; he apparently knew the area fairly well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 05:52 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,464,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
A cop who, from what I can see, is still posting here. Sorry you didn't happen to agree with him; he apparently knew the area fairly well.
He's a full fledged wacko who even admitted his knowledge of the area was dated as he has not set foot in Los Angeles in many, many years, at least 15 years.

Having grown up in the general vicinity and having lived much of my life near Venice - and some of it in Venice - I think I know more than that ****.

Anyways, the problems of Venice would improve greatly if we built the camps and interned the homeless in them. There would be very little crime in Venice if not for the homeless.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:00 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,286,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
He's a full fledged wacko who even admitted his knowledge of the area was dated as he has not set foot in Los Angeles in many, many years, at least 15 years.

Having grown up in the general vicinity and having lived much of my life near Venice - and some of it in Venice - I think I know more than that ****.

Anyways, the problems of Venice would improve greatly if we built the camps and interned the homeless in them. There would be very little crime in Venice if not for the homeless.
True. People that have an education, career and a high enough income to afford to live in Venice usually aren't going to risk it to commit street crime .

Old 02-15-2018, 06:11 PM

Most recently

https://kfiam640.iheart.com/content/...e-170-freeway/

Old 02-15-2018, 06:13 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,066,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Yeah. That is EXACTLY what we need, less compassion for our fellow man.
I think that's why compassionate is in quotes. You gotta see the problem from both ends. And not setting with one side.

The wrong sides to be on are the ones that just call them criminals and the ones that just say "let them be" and only throw feel good policies at the problem. So it isn't compassionate but just putting a bandage and a kiss.

Compassionate folks need to see the problem for what it is and address it the right way without enabling the problem.

While people who are worried about the criminal problem need not put a whole blanket statement of "criminal" on the whole population.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:20 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,783,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
There are a number of homeless people who have been taken in by compassionate friends, relatives, and without this compassion the number of homeless would be much higher. My Mexican roommate of 19 years never got back on his feet again after the Great Recession. Without me waving his rent, he'd be on the streets. Many people like that are unaccounted for.

On a national average it costs taxpayers roughly $42,500 a year to have one homeless person on our streets (hospitalizations, rehab, prescription drugs, emergency room visits accounts for a big share of it) and imprisonment costs taxpayers (adding in indirect costs) $40-50k a year.

Many of these homeless people are unaware they're eligible for Medicaid. I work in a LTC Rehab facility and we get homeless in for rehab occasionally, and once they leave, it's state/federal law, we can't release them until they've a roof over their head along with food stamps.

I attribute part of the blame for the homelessness in L.A. area to the anti-development, anti-density Nimby's and the antiquated zoning laws. 72% of L.A. county is still zoned for single family homes. And no mid-rises or high-rises allowed on California beach areas.
Maybe. Or maybe you're enabling him and if he was forced to take care of himself he would have found a job in the past 19 years

I attribute the LA homeless problem to a combination of mental illness and lazy, drug addict kids moving here from other parts of the country. I'd imagine most of the homeless population have no reason to even be in LA so the housing situation doesn't matter.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:44 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,076,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Yeah. That is EXACTLY what we need, less compassion for our fellow man.
I think in the future the trend will be to quietly let them die off. There will be a constant supply of new immigrants and the population will also keep growing. The idea will be that only the best will get the few remaining jobs that the robots don't take and let the useless / jobless rest just die off.

The millennials are known to be selfish and self-centered, so they will be very tough on the homeless. They just ignore them to die. I see it all the time in Manhattan. You ask some millennial a simple question like where is 'X' or 'Z'? They wont even stop to answer.

They will be in for a surprise when they end up on the street and they get some of their own medicine. As soon as they hit your 30's they are getting over the hill in this world. As rents skyrocket, jobs become more scarce and pop grows the homeless will continue to grow. It will be a millennial and Z Gen run world, I would not be surprised if someday they make it law that if you have no job you are rounded up to be killed.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:30 PM

26,580 posts, read 26,445,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
People that have an education, career and a high enough income to afford to live in Venice usually aren't going to risk it to commit street crime .
Who says any of them live in the city in which they commit the crime?

And I still believe that most of the crimes committed in L.A. are due to drugs. Few chronically homeless would be able to carry out a planned attempt at burglary, probably due to physical, emotional and mental reasons.

Why Are More Addicts Turning To Crime To Fuel Drug Habits

What Makes Los Angeles Drug Abuse So Notorious?
https://transcendrecoverycommunity.c...es-drug-abuse/

Heroin use fuels surge of ER visits among California millennials:
https://www.dailynews.com/2017/02/04...a-millennials/

Old 02-15-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Who says any of them live in the city in which they commit the crime?

And I still believe that most of the crimes committed in L.A. are due to drugs. Few chronically homeless would be able to carry out a planned attempt at burglary, probably due to physical, emotional and mental reasons.

Why Are More Addicts Turning To Crime To Fuel Drug Habits

What Makes Los Angeles Drug Abuse So Notorious?
https://transcendrecoverycommunity.c...es-drug-abuse/

Heroin use fuels surge of ER visits among California millennials:
https://www.dailynews.com/2017/02/04...a-millennials/
Because no chronically homeless in Los Angeles are addicts....

Where do you live? You seem to know nothing about the realities of the homeless in L.A. in 2018.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:03 PM

13,563 posts, read 15,490,042 times
We now have a homeless containment thread, as we do for earthquakes. Rather appropriate, I think, since the homeless do at least as much damage as any earthquake we've ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles