Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 02:22 PM

731 posts, read 957,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
This isn't about an individual, I'm asking what does society get back as a whole for the hundreds of millions of dollars used to house people in perpetuity. Will these people become productive? Will they be dependent on the state for the rest of their lives? What's the end game?
Exactly!

Enabling doesn't work, we have decades of history to prove that. ROI is lost on many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 02:53 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,885,827 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's so hard to get, I mean those privileged Starbucks workers who get health insurance. They had to graduate high school, and apply for the job. What an obstacle.
You mean like I had from the bank I worked at until I couldn't afford their insurance any longer? Or do you mean the insurance that puts a cap on cancer treatments? Or the insurance that has a co-pay higher than a mortgage payment? Or the insurance that costs families more than they make in a month? Or the insurance that won't cover things women need, like birth control?

Quote:
No he wouldn't. He also wouldn't want Rome to forcibly take money from people to provide it either.
Hmmm...interesting what mouthpieces for Jesus come up with. I do believe he said something about rendering unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's". I take it Caesar wanted his taxes rendered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Another person who does not get it.

I make the decision to ride my motorcycle. You bet I am a very skilled rider...been riding since I was a child.
I get it perfectly. You will never be homeless. I will never have an auto accident. If you can say something silly, then I can say something silly. See how that works?

Quote:
It's a tax subsidized entitlement provided by taxpayers on their DIME. There are plenty of other adults who don't live on the sidewalk (myself included) that aren't asking for free handouts.

What do taxpayers get back from housing an adult for free in perpetuity?
You get people off the streets and out of your view. Isn't that what you all are complaining about here in the first place?

Quote:
Why not just give them some medically assisted suicide? Would be cheaper.
BA-DING! We have a winner! Make sure when you get those medically assisted suicide laws passed, you also make it mandatory to put down all retarded children, make abortion mandatory for women pregnant with Down's Syndrome children, and make absolutely sure you have a law that allows for the execution of all prisoners in our penitentiaries. And don't forget those who are taking government help to replace their homes after a natural disaster (those bad people who didn't save any money and didn't have insurance), all the people on food stamps (even if they're working), all the kids and dependent women who have no husband (no need to punish the men, they'll be useful in wars), all the people here in the US illegally, and everyone on Medicaid. And all poor people, too. You might even want to clean out the renters, since they don't pay any property tax.

Anyone that takes from a government social program needs to be eliminated. Gee, I guess that would include Laura Ingalls Wilder's blind sister Mary, whose tuition at the college for the blind was paid for by the state of South Dakota.

That should clean out the riffraff. Sure you want to stop there? Maybe you could go on to Jews, Muslims, Hispanics, and African Americans. And for sure you probably want to get rid of all the gay people and those whose beliefs are different from yours.

Oh, and when you stop by to see your pal Hitler, give him my congratulations on finding a suitable heir.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 04-19-2018 at 03:03 PM..

Old 04-19-2018, 03:07 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,253,483 times
Quote:
This isn't about an individual, I'm asking what does society get back as a whole for the hundreds of millions of dollars used to house people in perpetuity. Will these people become independent and productive? How so? Will they be dependent on the state for the rest of their lives? What's the end game?
Bleeding heart mentalities never think things through. They just vote on how to spend other peoples money and when that's not enough they point the finger at everyone around them for not ascribing to their poorly thought out solutions that result in poor investments with poor returns.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:08 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,109,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseBound2012 View Post
Here is what's wrong with your comment...

"and if the more fortunate "

Let me correct that phrasing for you..."and if those who worked their asses off from the get go, and made good decisions based on knowledge, and chose not to use drugs and abuse alcohol..."

That is MUCH more accurate.

Choices - people have choices, don't make me pay for their bad ones. And yes, some people use drugs even when they've been given everything.
I disagree, I think some people are put in more impossible situations than other people. Some people have a series of choices of which none are good. Having good choices to make is a product of a good environment and good circumstances.

I was reading an article that stated that working ones proverbial "a$$ off" is statistically much lower leverage than sheer luck. A moderate level of work and effort has to be there but simply "working hard" is not very leveraging in and of itself. It is mostly working smart, focusing on outcome not input and having favorable circumstances and luck. Someone just working hard at some pedestrian job is not going to make it far and it going to face burn out and turn to drugs.

I get that the work has to be put in (I have a BS in chemical engineering, 13 years of engineering experience, working on a masters in EE and an A&P). But lets not pretend like digging ditches or gutting fish is the same thing, but its hard work, but its hard work that will not really get you anywhere unless you get really lucky.

Obviously there are those who are mentally ill and make irrational choices, that's a separate issue. Mentally ill people need different kind of help (PTSD, bipolar, etc).

I think that when sorting these people out for federal jobs and training their level of motivation and apptitude needs to be assessed, there are homeless people that are not stupid and who are capable of doing complex tasks/work. These people should be identified and given the work they are capable of if private sector is unwilling to pick them up for what ever reason (not attractive looking, etc).

People that are really low IQ can still add value to society as well.

People that just want to light up and do jack sh*t, let them live in a tent, then the value to you and me as tax payers is that they are not on the streets and not breaking into my car. As soon as they screw up and break the law throw them in jail.

If we had real programs to help the poor and homeless I think you would be surprised at how many of them are capable of being useful.

If we had a real federal jobs program that picked these people up where private sector failed them then those remaining lazy crap bags we could all wring our hands and say welp this guy is a useless piece of crap, he can go into a crappy cheap tent city until he screws up then toss them in prison.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I get it perfectly. You will never be homeless. I will never have an auto accident. If you can say something silly, then I can say something silly. See how that works?
Yes I see that it still goes right over your head. No wonder you think the world owes you and everyone else who made poor decisions in their life to be supported by everyone else's money. Taking accountability for your decisions goes right over your head.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Having good choices to make is a product of a good environment and good circumstances.
Not accurate in the least. I made good choices when I was in a very bad environment with zero support. In fact my environment was my motivator for making the choices I did to get the hell out of that environment and to a place of independence, self sufficiency and success.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:14 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,109,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You mean like I had from the bank I worked at until I couldn't afford their insurance any longer? Or do you mean the insurance that puts a cap on cancer treatments? Or the insurance that has a co-pay higher than a mortgage payment? Or the insurance that costs families more than they make in a month? Or the insurance that won't cover things women need, like birth control?

Hmmm...interesting what mouthpieces for Jesus come up with. I do believe he said something about rendering unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's". I take it Caesar wanted his taxes rendered.

You get people off the streets and out of your view. Isn't that what you all are complaining about here in the first place?

BA-DING! We have a winner! Make sure when you get those medically assisted suicide laws passed, you also make it mandatory to put down all retarded children, make abortion mandatory for women pregnant with Down's Syndrome children, and make absolutely sure you have a law that allows for the execution of all prisoners in our penitentiaries. And don't forget those who are taking government help to replace their homes after a natural disaster (those bad people who didn't save any money and didn't have insurance), all the people on food stamps (even if they're working), all the kids and dependent women who have no husband (no need to punish the men, they'll be useful in wars), all the people here in the US illegally, and everyone on Medicaid. And all poor people, too. You might even want to clean out the renters, since they don't pay any property tax.

Anyone that takes from a government social program needs to be eliminated. Gee, I guess that would include Laura Ingalls Wilder's blind sister Mary, whose tuition at the college for the blind was paid for by the state of South Dakota.

That should clean out the riffraff. Sure you want to stop there? Maybe you could go on to Jews, Muslims, Hispanics, and African Americans. And for sure you probably want to get rid of all the gay people and those whose beliefs are different from yours.

Oh, and when you stop by to see your pal Hitler, give him my congratulations on finding a suitable heir.
Hitler called them useless eaters right before he started up his death camps. That's the same sentiment that is going on in the USA now, they just use more carefully chosen words but they are saying the same things.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Hitler called them useless eaters right before he started up his death camps. That's the same sentiment that is going on in the USA now, they just use more carefully chosen words but they are saying the same things.
This is nothing more then you made up personal narrative that you are trying to ascribe to people who speak about the validated issues we find with the homeless. No one is chosing any words carefully when discussing their behaviors.

No one here has the Hitler mentality towards the homeless. Geez!

Old 04-19-2018, 05:05 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
No one here has the Hitler mentality towards the homeless. Geez!
Then what do you call this suggestion?

Quote:
Why not just give them some medically assisted suicide? Would be cheaper.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:13 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You don't have to give homeless people anything, but the option is that if you don't they will remain on the sidewalk.
Exactly.

And to answer the question, "What do taxpayers get back from housing an adult for free?"

Quote:
That’s what you get back, you don’t have to see them wandering around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles