Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 09:08 PM

872 posts, read 595,262 times

Advertisements

The laws are going to be enforced and fortified- lets get together and MAKE this happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 09:12 PM

872 posts, read 595,262 times
I'm a little nebulous about the medically assisted suicide thing ......would that include the "homeless" without tattoos and a long criminal record? Sorry...

Old 04-19-2018, 09:13 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
In LA due to a court settlement they can't arrest them for sleeping on the street unless there is available shelter space, Pomona recently had a similar issue and the court ruled the same way.
Did I say arrest them? Instead the police need to make them pick their crap up and get it off the public land as that land is not intended for their exclusive use as a living quarter. Their conduct namely, setting up ‘tents’ or other temporary structures in public places for the purpose of habitation hinders the city from preserving public property for its intended purpose. It also excludes the rest of society from those places.

Any judge ruling the way they are in CA with respect to the homeless issue needs as lesson from this judge.

Judge OKs Houston Tent Ban Aimed at Homeless

Old 04-19-2018, 09:56 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Did I say arrest them? Instead the police need to make them pick their crap up and get it off the public land as that land is not intended for their exclusive use as a living quarter. Their conduct namely, setting up ‘tents’ or other temporary structures in public places for the purpose of habitation hinders the city from preserving public property for its intended purpose. It also excludes the rest of society from those places.

Any judge ruling the way they are in CA with respect to the homeless issue needs as lesson from this judge.

Judge OKs Houston Tent Ban Aimed at Homeless
Read the article that I linked in my post, ok?

The judge in Houston didn't rule on the facts of the case but made his ruling by claiming that the people who were named in the suit lacked standing: The judge found the three challengers lack standing to sue on Eighth Amendment grounds because they have not been cited or convicted for violating the ordinance. In the future if there are plaintiffs who file a case and were arrested the judge would most likely rule differently

Old 04-19-2018, 10:46 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Read the article that I linked in my post, ok?

The judge in Houston didn't rule on the facts of the case but made his ruling by claiming that the people who were named in the suit lacked standing: The judge found the three challengers lack standing to sue on Eighth Amendment grounds because they have not been cited or convicted for violating the ordinance. In the future if there are plaintiffs who file a case and were arrested the judge would most likely rule differently
I read it. I understand it and the Judge also ruled on the fact that:

"While this court is indeed sympathetic to the impact that enforcement of the encampment ordinance on unsheltered homeless individuals poses, the court recognizes the city's police powers to enact and enforce reasonable legislation that promotes the health, safety and general welfare of all Houston residents," Hoyt wrote.

Hoyt disagreed with the argument about enforcement making homelessness a crime, saying the ordinance "prohibits obstructions that hinder the city from preserving public property for its intended purpose."

Old 04-19-2018, 11:10 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
I read it. I understand it and the Judge also ruled on the fact that:

"While this court is indeed sympathetic to the impact that enforcement of the encampment ordinance on unsheltered homeless individuals poses, the court recognizes the city's police powers to enact and enforce reasonable legislation that promotes the health, safety and general welfare of all Houston residents," Hoyt wrote.

Hoyt disagreed with the argument about enforcement making homelessness a crime, saying the ordinance "prohibits obstructions that hinder the city from preserving public property for its intended purpose."
It appears that Houston has done more than most cities in terms of solving their homeless problem. Judges are far more apt to allow enforcement of ordinances banning sleeping on the streets when a City actually provides the homeless with places to live:

"Rather than open more shelters, they focused on getting people into housing. They told charitable organizations to sign on or lose out on funding. They built a computer system to assess the homeless, prioritize them based on vulnerability, then connect them with programs. And they collected data, lots of data. The results are surprising and have Seattle officials taking note: There are an estimated 1,050 homeless people without shelter in the area, according to a recent count, down about 75 percent from 4,418 in 2011.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...nd-lots-of-it/

Old 04-20-2018, 01:47 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Not accurate in the least. I made good choices when I was in a very bad environment with zero support. In fact my environment was my motivator for making the choices I did to get the hell out of that environment and to a place of independence, self sufficiency and success.
For some people removing themselves from a bad situation is what causes their homelessness. They may not be homeless forever but they may be for a time, possibly a long time. You don’t know everyone’s situation.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:41 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
It almost seems like the more billions raised for homelessness " the worse it gets right ?
Los Ángeles did not construct enough apartments low working class and low income people. There is plenty of under-utilised land in industrial areas, and along certain major streets.

That’s a huge part of the problem. The other part of the problem is Los Ángeles and California don’t place convicts in halfway houses. They throw them in the streets. Spending more money on shelters is of course going to make the problem worse. Ultimately homeless people need jobs and need to be reintegrated into society.

Those unable to work need to be placed in disability. It’s a public health hazard to have so many homeless people around.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:45 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
It appears that Houston has done more than most cities in terms of solving their homeless problem. Judges are far more apt to allow enforcement of ordinances banning sleeping on the streets when a City actually provides the homeless with places to live:

"Rather than open more shelters, they focused on getting people into housing. They told charitable organizations to sign on or lose out on funding. They built a computer system to assess the homeless, prioritize them based on vulnerability, then connect them with programs. And they collected data, lots of data. The results are surprising and have Seattle officials taking note: There are an estimated 1,050 homeless people without shelter in the area, according to a recent count, down about 75 percent from 4,418 in 2011.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...nd-lots-of-it/
That’s exactly it. California has not built sufficient housing for working class people and that it and of itself is causing homelessness. Those unable to work due to medical reasons need to be placed on SSI and given housing vouchers. Halfway houses need to be built for those who just got out of prison. And the role of the school to prison pipeline and the prison to street pipeline must be addressed,

Old 04-20-2018, 08:09 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That’s exactly it. California has not built sufficient housing for working class people and that it and of itself is causing homelessness. Those unable to work due to medical reasons need to be placed on SSI and given housing vouchers. Halfway houses need to be built for those who just got out of prison. And the role of the school to prison pipeline and the prison to street pipeline must be addressed,
On my daily bicycle commute I see hundreds of people talking to themselves, basically so far "out there" that no voucher is going to help. Clothes falling off, covered in their own filth. We'd literally have to force these people into institutions and it would be just like a prison for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles