Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2018, 09:17 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
No, "he" is not, because no one was referring to Gov. Brown.

And there's a major difference, Cali. The PATIENT requests it due to a terminal illness ....

https://www.deathwithdignity.org/states/california/

Drinking and drugging ones self to death when you sleep behind a 7-11 every night isn't a terminal illness? What's the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 09:35 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That’s a huge part of the problem. The other part of the problem is Los Ángeles and California don’t place convicts in halfway houses. They throw them in the streets. .
Excellent point, I mentioned this before, parole in most states is a conditional early release and eligibility depends upon providing a parole plan to the board which demonstrates they have a place to stay and the means to support themselves, if they don't have family they can contact halfway houses and sober living centers, it's only when they are accepted into one that they are released. In California parole starts after you serve your entire sentence, and you are released from prison with $200 and a bus ticket back to the place where you got in trouble. They won't even let the inmates keep their prison ID when they are released.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Drinking and drugging ones self to death when you sleep behind a 7-11 every night isn't a terminal illness? What's the difference?
It's the same terminal disease we are all born with, i.e. we will all die at some point. But people can drink and/or do drugs and sleep behind a 7-11 for years if not decades.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's the same terminal disease we are all born with, i.e. we will all die at some point. But people can drink and/or do drugs and sleep behind a 7-11 for years if not decades.
Oh yeah? What's the median life span of life long drug addicts?

Old 04-20-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah? What's the median life span of life long drug addicts?
That is irrelevant the operative term here is terminal which is defined as:

"A terminal condition or terminal illness is an irreversible illness that in the near future will result in death or a state of permanent unconsciousness from which the person is unlikely to recover. Examples of terminal conditions include advanced cancers, multiple organ failures, or massive heart attacks and strokes. But in many states, a terminal illness is defined as one in which the patient will die “shortly” whether or not medical treatment is given. These definitions can complicate or delay the use of a living will."
https://www.cancer.org/treatment/fin...ives/faqs.html

Old 04-20-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
That is irrelevant the operative term here is terminal which is defined as:
I didn't say it was a terminal disease. I said "what's the difference"? as in "If drug use and addiction to alcohol is going to kill them before their time anyway, what's the difference?"

We both know that it kills them sooner rather than later (numbers are irrelevant at that point).

Assisted suicide should be an option.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I didn't say it was a terminal disease. I said "what's the difference"? as in "If drug use and addiction to alcohol is going to kill them anyway before their time anyway, what's the difference?" But I'll take your lack of an answer as tacit admission that it kills them sooner rather than later (numbers are irrelevant at that point).
No, actually this is what you said:

Quote:
Dying sooner rather than later has nothing to do with a terminal illness, it has nothing to do with Governor Brown and it has nothing to do with a thread about homelessness, can we move on now?

Old 04-20-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
No, actually this is what you said:

Quote:
Bolded for emphasis.

Is there any difference?

Quote:
it has nothing to do with a thread about homelessness
I disagree. I think we should present all medical options for homeless people.

We should be progressive towards the problem of homelessness in giving them all the medical options they "may" need to help their struggle.

Is there a reason you would deny homeless people this medical option?

Last edited by CaliRestoration; 04-20-2018 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-20-2018, 11:39 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
For some people removing themselves from a bad situation is what causes their homelessness. They may not be homeless forever but they may be for a time, possibly a long time. You don’t know everyone’s situation.
Neither do you so stop speculating and making up personal narratives then trying to pass them off as reality.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:46 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That’s exactly it. California has not built sufficient housing for working class people and that it and of itself is causing homelessness.
It's more accurate to state that most here cannot afford to buy a house vs. there is not enough housing. I see lots of housing options here...they are just out of reach for most folks even the folks who earn good money.

Nearly 70 Percent Of Residents Can't Afford To Buy A Home In Calif.: Study
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles