Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2018, 04:39 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
now you just want to argue, don't you?

I've been to London a number of times and surveillance cameras definitely deter crime if they are monitored. The timing of the legalization of abortion and a decrease in the crime rate is a fact, whether it's a cause or just correlation is certainly arguable. Scientists have also speculated that the elimination of lead from paint and plumbing may also have contributed to a lower crime rate. What is indisputable is that the crime rate started dropping before all the tough on crime laws were passed. Here's a good article on the subject. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ecline/477408/
Someone refuting what you think as gossipal isn't arguing. Why do you keep defending our crappy penal system and corrupt union? Scared of losing the fat pension checks??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 04:49 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Someone refuting what you think as gossipal isn't arguing. Why do you keep defending our crappy penal system and corrupt union? Scared of losing the fat pension checks??
I didn't defend our penal system, I criticized it and I get a pension but not a fat one and I worked for 3 decades in order to get it, Sorry you don't get one but you could have gotten a public sector job and then you wouldn't have to be jealous.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:43 PM

872 posts, read 595,761 times
This guy gets it but would rather move than fight.. so sad but at least his OP ED got published!
https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion...aving-seattle/

Notice the lack of concern for the taxpayers by the leftie bureaucrat ? All the lib concern and support go to the criminals and the lib support system... not the awful mess crime or victims?
...notice also that the libs all use the same verbiage out of the same playbook whether here or Seattle? LA used to be great, Seattle used to be great... and can be again! Time to get the libs out of office out and fix this!

Old 05-06-2018, 07:58 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROX View Post
This guy gets it but would rather move than fight.. so sad but at least his OP ED got published!
https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion...aving-seattle/

Notice the lack of concern for the taxpayers by the leftie bureaucrat ? All the lib concern and support go to the criminals and the lib support system... not the awful mess crime or victims?
...notice also that the libs all use the same verbiage out of the same playbook whether here or Seattle? LA used to be great, Seattle used to be great... and can be again! Time to get the libs out of office out and fix this!

Please. I sort of consider myself a liberal, but it really depends on what issue you're talking about. When it comes to immigration, I really feel for the people who want to come to this country to better themselves and escape violence. But I also feel they need to work on getting their own countries under control first and I really do think we have way too many illegal immigrants here in the US and that many of them should be deported. So no, all libs don't think the same way.

I do not support criminals. Having said that, I think our judicial system is far too lax on far too many criminals. But at the same time, I recognize that we have more prisoners locked up than any other civilized country and our prisons are already bursting at the seams. We spend an inordinate amount of money on providing for the prisoners we already have - maybe instead of locking up more of them, we should find out why they're doing the things they are to get them sent to prison in the first place. And, maybe we should address the reasons why so many ex cons end up on the street when they're released or why they do something to bring themselves back into the prison system once they're finally out.

We also need to treat people in the prison system with humanity. That's part of what sets the US apart from many 3rd world countries, Guantanamo aside. Otherwise, we're just like some of those countries that torture their prisoners and how can you condone that and then brag about our Constitution in the breath?

Old 05-06-2018, 08:13 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

Some folks no matter what you do will never overcome their despair.
True. But not all of them. I don't feel like you're giving the ones who can overcome their despair a chance because you seem to want to sweep them all away.

I see the same thing when it comes to food stamps. A few people abuse food stamps (not nearly as many as you'd think) and all of a sudden, everyone wants ALL food stamps stopped, never mind how many people they've helped.

And it's worse with homeless people. There are the ones who want help and will eventually get themselves out of being homeless, the ones who need to learn to accept help to get themselves out of homelessness, and then the ones who don't care one way or the other.

As I said before, these are the ones who are the most visible, the ones who may be drug addicted or alcoholics, ex cons, chronic homeless, or people with mental problems. They probably aren't welcome in the shelters and no one has a program to help them. Yes, these people should probably be institutionalized, but until that happens, they aren't going to just up and disappear.

Let me take another direction on this.

If the city can find a place, say in a parking lot or somewhere to place a permanent tent city where no one else will have to walk over the homeless, or be exposed to their messes, or even see them, would that make everyone here happy?

Edited to add: this is a shantytown in Seattle in 1937. These people were housed and didn't have to live in the parks or on the sidewalks. Yes, I know this is an eyesore, too, but why can't we do this? We build hundreds of small houses for people to live in after the 1906 San Franciscan earthquake (and we may have to again if we get another strong quake in either SF or Seattle), so why can't we do this now?
Attached Thumbnails
The Los Angeles Homeless Containment Thread-shanty-town-hooverville-near-seattle-wa  

Old 05-06-2018, 10:18 PM

545 posts, read 513,687 times
Tell Scientology to take care of them. They will make them live a clean life and pick up after themselves and do chores, so society wins, and Scientology gets good PR, so it wins.

Win win

Somewhere in the desert would be a perfect place to send them off to. If they don't want to go, then tell them the other option is a labor camp or they have to leave the state.

No one has a right to occupy the streets and parks like it is their home. Give me a break. I expect that much out of a squirrel but not a human.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:42 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
True. But not all of them. I don't feel like you're giving the ones who can overcome their despair a chance because you seem to want to sweep them all away.
Well you are wrong on this point and in fact I praise my hometown city of Houston for doing a great job on helping those who are truly capable of overcoming and who want to overcome their situation. The post is here if you care to search for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
If the city can find a place, say in a parking lot or somewhere to place a permanent tent city where no one else will have to walk over the homeless, or be exposed to their messes, or even see them, would that make everyone here happy?
As long as it does not turn into a bio-hazardous cesspool, or a bike chop shop, human trafficking site, drug addict haven with hundred of used needles tossed about, or one large toilet with human trash piled miles around.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:30 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
We are now seeing a similar situation building like the terrible Santa Ana riverbed .
The homeless have ruined the L.A river bike path. I wonder how many millions were spent on it but now we have this .

People don’t feel safe taking their kids there anymore , to this place that was intended to be family friendly .

“It was beautiful three years ago," the 49-year-old resident told them. "Now there's junkies everywhere."
Spangler told the citizens watchdog group that he has seen drug addicts loitering around the gym, stashing shopping carts filled to the brim with their personal belongings and blocking access to some of the equipment. He said he has also seen some of them shooting up.”

Reseda's bike path opened in 2012 and was intended to be a family-friendly trail where people could enjoy an evening walk or bike ride along the river. But residents say they are increasingly afraid of going out alone or letting their children ride their bikes through the area because of transients

L.A. River bike path has become lure for homeless, Reseda residents say

Old 05-07-2018, 12:28 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
We are now seeing a similar situation building like the terrible Santa Ana riverbed .
The homeless have ruined the L.A river bike path. I wonder how many millions were spent on it but now we have this .

People don’t feel safe taking their kids there anymore , to this place that was intended to be family friendly .

“It was beautiful three years ago," the 49-year-old resident told them. "Now there's junkies everywhere."
Spangler told the citizens watchdog group that he has seen drug addicts loitering around the gym, stashing shopping carts filled to the brim with their personal belongings and blocking access to some of the equipment. He said he has also seen some of them shooting up.”

Reseda's bike path opened in 2012 and was intended to be a family-friendly trail where people could enjoy an evening walk or bike ride along the river. But residents say they are increasingly afraid of going out alone or letting their children ride their bikes through the area because of transients

L.A. River bike path has become lure for homeless, Reseda residents say
It just disgusts me to the core to see CA government willfully allowing this and turning their heads to in addition to wasting our high paid tax money to clean this shyte up over and over and over and over again. Freaking retards in power wake up! What happened to we the people having any sense?

Old 05-07-2018, 12:30 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
It just disgusts me to the core to see CA government willfully allowing this and turning their heads to in addition to wasting our high paid tax money to clean this shyte up over and over and over and over again. Freaking retards in power wake up! What happened to we the people having any sense?
They are NOT at all retarded. The end goal is to force cities and counties to provide housing as a right. It is by design and there are powerful forces behind it. If housing is a right, it changes the entire system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles