Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 01:41 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Answer this, is it better for a mentally ill person to be in a place where they have access to mental health care services and medication, or should they be dumped in rural Missouri without transportation or medicaid where the nearest charity based behavioral health clinic is 100 miles away?
I'm not talking about the mentally ill. I was referring to the thousands of able bodied people that have given up on life and just wander aimlessly around begging and stealing. And I didn't say dump them. They should get their life together and move to a area they can survive on min wage. And I don't buy the it's expensive to move excuses. If you have nothing all you need is a bus ticket.

As for the mentally ill we need to build mental hospitals and treat the people that can't help themselves. Not spend 2.5 million on housing 45 people but nobody in LA is listening to rational minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 02:02 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes. Build more housing, and people in California should stop being cheap bastards and pay the taxes to do this.

Fortunately it is happening as all the negative press is forcing action.

Dumping poor people in the middle of nowhere where they have access to no services including medical is inhumane.
We have some of the highest taxes in the nation .

The housing costs more than $476,000 per unit now !

Should a homeless person be living in a unit that costs more than most working people can afford ?...

“A Times analysis of the 29 projects currently approved for funding found their average cost to be more than $476,000 per unit. Two projects will cost more than $650,000 per unit and five more than $550,000.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...511-story.html

Old 08-01-2018, 02:52 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I’m sure city is getting a lot of pressure from businesses and developers as more money pours into downtown la

—-

Los Angeles took a step Tuesday toward converting a vacant children’s museum and a textile factory into crisis shelters to take homeless people off the streets of skid row and other parts of downtown.

The sites are outside skid row’s 50-year-old homelessness “containment” zone. But the council vote Tuesday to evaluate the locations could be the beginning of transforming skid row, the most concentrated homeless enclave in the country, and lifting a longtime barrier to the march of downtown development.

https://ktla.com/2018/07/31/l-a-cons...less-shelters/
LA has a lot of underutilized buildings and LAND that could be used for housing. Thank god people are forcing the City Council to take action. And of course businesses and developers are pressuring the City Council. So is the public.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
We have some of the highest taxes in the nation .

The housing costs more than $476,000 per unit now !

Should a homeless person be living in a unit that costs more than most working people can afford ?...

“A Times analysis of the 29 projects currently approved for funding found their average cost to be more than $476,000 per unit. Two projects will cost more than $650,000 per unit and five more than $550,000.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...511-story.html
Then if that's the case the money is misappropriated.

Regardless it's going to cost money to build housing and provide essential social services not just to get these people off the street, but to reintegrate them into society and ultimately get them back to work.

Once you have sufficient housing in place, the police would be able to arrest uncooperative people who insist on sleeping in tarps. I'm sure you'd like that part, but that too costs money.

California has Silicon Valley, Hollywood, finance, etc. These big companies can afford to pay more in taxes. I'll never understand why a middle class person falls apart when taxes are mentioned. I was not suggesting raising taxes on working class people.

Hollywood billionaires, and Silicon Valley billionaires should pay more money, after all they claim to be progressive so let them put their money where their mouth is.

I did not, I repeat did not advocate for raising taxes on HOMEOWNERS!

Old 08-01-2018, 03:10 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Then if that's the case the money is misappropriated.

Regardless it's going to cost money to build housing and provide essential social services not just to get these people off the street, but to reintegrate them into society and ultimately get them back to work.

Once you have sufficient housing in place, the police would be able to arrest uncooperative people who insist on sleeping in tarps. I'm sure you'd like that part, but that too costs money.

California has Silicon Valley, Hollywood, finance, etc. These big companies can afford to pay more in taxes. I'll never understand why a middle class person falls apart when taxes are mentioned. I was not suggesting raising taxes on working class people.

Hollywood billionaires, and Silicon Valley billionaires should pay more money, after all they claim to be progressive so let them put their money where their mouth is.

I did not, I repeat did not advocate for raising taxes on HOMEOWNERS!
Maybe people don’t like more taxes because the money is misappropriated or wasted as you said . California politicians have promised that more taxes will solve problems and we see it’s been a lie .

Seattle did actually try this recently and it did fail .

“After a bruising, month-long fight in which Amazon and other businesses squelched a new corporate head tax to fund homeless services, Seattle is struggling to find a path forward to deal with a crisis that has exploded in recent years.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ess/698575002/

Old 08-01-2018, 03:51 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.___b0lden View Post
Racist coward jm got money.... DM or reply if you want to know just how rich and racist that jm1982 liar is.
JM, what did you do to this poor chump?

Old 08-01-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Maybe people don’t like more taxes because the money is misappropriated or wasted as you said . California politicians have promised that more taxes will solve problems and we see it’s been a lie .

Seattle did actually try this recently and it did fail .

“After a bruising, month-long fight in which Amazon and other businesses squelched a new corporate head tax to fund homeless services, Seattle is struggling to find a path forward to deal with a crisis that has exploded in recent years.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ess/698575002/
To be completely fair California does have new taxes now that I think about it. Marijuana is now legal, and it it legal that keeps pot users out of the criminal justice system.

Obviously that's money saved plus new money coming in, so it should be diverted to housing for homeless people.

I do hope you're voting and otherwise working to get politicians who misappropriate money out of office.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I'm not talking about the mentally ill. I was referring to the thousands of able bodied people that have given up on life and just wander aimlessly around begging and stealing. And I didn't say dump them. They should get their life together and move to a area they can survive on min wage. And I don't buy the it's expensive to move excuses. If you have nothing all you need is a bus ticket.

As for the mentally ill we need to build mental hospitals and treat the people that can't help themselves. Not spend 2.5 million on housing 45 people but nobody in LA is listening to rational minds.
Los Angeles cannot survive without minimum wage people. You aren't going to get doctors and lawyers to work as cashiers in drug stores, in grocery stores, or other retail. Someone has to work in restaurants and bars as well. Someone has to work as landscapers, and do all the working class jobs that ANY city needs to survives.

So sorry LA won't be able to export poverty or dump all of it's poor elsewhere.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:56 PM

There is one thing that should be said. If the state truly does need to levy additional taxes to deal with the problem, there is absolutely no reason why middle class homeowners should defend and try to stop the state from taxing billionaires.

It completely doesn't make sense. Billionaire and multi millionaires and major companies can afford to pay more taxes if that is what needed.

In fact exclusive cities in LA county are a part of the problem. Beverly Hills and other wealthy towns repeatedly clean homeless out and dump them in LA, meaning LA's taxpayers after to deal with this when those cities taxpayers refused to deal with it when as it is all part of LA county they should share some of the burden.

Still the mayor has the right idea is opening up shelters throughout the city. Don't concentrate services for the homeless in one area, and really this needs to be done throughout Southern California.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:53 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
Tax Indian gambling, they pay next to nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles