Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 09:57 PM

872 posts, read 587,265 times

Advertisements

Wow - yeah the mayor has the right idea-
Kind of like a network of stabbing stations or personal attack pavilions
Yeah- the mayor has the right idea
Lots of shelters throughout the city
What about housing all the ab1810 folks
Just like the vagrants- they have worn out their welcome everywhere else due to criminal behavior so the taxpayers will have them in program housing no?
Wandering around
Mess and lots of personal attacks coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 10:00 PM

2,068 posts, read 987,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There is one thing that should be said. If the state truly does need to levy additional taxes to deal with the problem, there is absolutely no reason why middle class homeowners should defend and try to stop the state from taxing billionaires.

It completely doesn't make sense. Billionaire and multi millionaires and major companies can afford to pay more taxes if that is what needed.

In fact exclusive cities in LA county are a part of the problem. Beverly Hills and other wealthy towns repeatedly clean homeless out and dump them in LA, meaning LA's taxpayers after to deal with this when those cities taxpayers refused to deal with it when as it is all part of LA county they should share some of the burden.

Still the mayor has the right idea is opening up shelters throughout the city. Don't concentrate services for the homeless in one area, and really this needs to be done throughout Southern California.

I am always awed by the ease with which some folks dismiss other folks' right to retain what is theirs - namely profits.

Some folks believe that there's an amount that is "sufficient" and that anything above the sufficient amount rightfully belongs to the government to do with as it pleases.

Of course, I have yet to find the person who says, "Yes. I have attained the sufficient amount and will gleefully donate the remainder to the state." Even Bill Gates and Warren Buffet retain their "overage" to do with as they direct.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:15 PM

21,565 posts, read 16,072,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
I am always awed by the ease with which some folks dismiss other folks' right to retain what is theirs - namely profits.

Some folks believe that there's an amount that is "sufficient" and that anything above the sufficient amount rightfully belongs to the government to do with as it pleases.

Of course, I have yet to find the person who says, "Yes. I have attained the sufficient amount and will gleefully donate the remainder to the state." Even Bill Gates and Warren Buffet retain their "overage" to do with as they direct.
Personally, I am always amazed by the attitude that “ever more is always better no matter how much more a person has than s/he needs”. ... and, truth is, we need so little materially.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:17 PM

21,565 posts, read 16,072,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROX View Post
Wow - yeah the mayor has the right idea-
Kind of like a network of stabbing stations or personal attack pavilions
Yeah- the mayor has the right idea
Lots of shelters throughout the city
What about housing all the ab1810 folks
Just like the vagrants- they have worn out their welcome everywhere else due to criminal behavior so the taxpayers will have them in program housing no?
Wandering around
Mess and lots of personal attacks coming!
Wow. Another great, insightful analysis containing so much direction out of the darkness!

Old 08-02-2018, 01:17 AM

4,625 posts, read 3,352,458 times
Quote:

Those who gain the most in income and wealth from the American society and economic system not only have the greatest ability to pay, they also derive the greatest benefits and have the most vested in seeing the system proceed in an orderly fashion. The American tax burden provides for many things — national defense, police protection, roads and highways among many others. It also sustains an elaborate, orderly, stable U.S. economy. Wall Street works because property interests are protected and regulated.

The general welfare, that which makes everyone better off, is grounded in social contract and democratic processes (small "d" democratic). The concept reflects the community's judgment of what constitutes fairness and how to maximize the stability and aggregate welfare of the society as a whole.

Article I, section 8
of the U. S. Constitution grants Congress the power to "lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts, and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common defense and general Welfare of the United States."

Quote:

A quote from Bill Gates:

“I’m certainly well taken care of in terms of food and clothes,” he says, redundantly. “Money has no utility to me beyond a certain point. Its utility is entirely in building an organisation and getting the resources out to the poorest in the world.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...Gods-work.html

Old 08-02-2018, 10:36 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,938,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
JM, what did you do to this poor chump?
Seriously. This guy has been trolling the LA forum for 2 years straight now. JM has a permanent space within his head.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:03 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,811,540 times
Quote:

Many of the people who are so irrational on taxes, like this poster ironically have little to tax!

Apple has 245 billion in it's accounts. Why would I defend them? The same Apple that has it's products made in China (no longer makes anything in California and hasn't for awhile) cheaply and sold all around the world at high prices?

How is this good for the country or for the society? And please tell me how I'm personally benefitting from it?

Apple, headquartered in California, where it a better corporate citizen alone could solve a huge portion of the homeless problem in California.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,811,540 times
In fact, 243 billion in their overseas accounts and Apple cannot afford to hire workers in California or the rest of America to make their products?

That's BS!

It's people like them that are a factor in some of the socioeconomic problems in California, including homelessness. If they were willing to manufacture in California and pay more taxes, there'd be better quality jobs and less people living paycheck to paycheck. But yeah, it's all about hoarding money!

Greedy bastards!

And those of you who are Republican, please don't bother to defend this. Offshoring and hoarding like this has hurt Trump's base and you know it. It's why he is working on renegotiating the trade deals and placing tariffs on imports. Even if Trump can acknowledge these practices have created poverty in America, you should be able to too.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:20 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,286,436 times
Quote:
Many of the people who are so irrational on taxes, like this poster ironically have little to tax!

Apple has 245 billion in it's accounts. Why would I defend them? The same Apple that has it's products made in China (no longer makes anything in California and hasn't for awhile) cheaply and sold all around the world at high prices?

How is this good for the country or for the society? And please tell me how I'm personally benefitting from it?

Apple, headquartered in California, where it a better corporate citizen alone could solve a huge portion of the homeless problem in California.
I don’t think Steve Jobs would be so generous to fund homeless housing at $450k plus a unit

—-
'You're getting nothing': Steve Jobs' daughter wrote a heartbreaking memoir about their often brutal relationship
https://www.businessinsider.com/stev...all-fry-2018-8

Last edited by jm1982; 08-02-2018 at 01:30 PM..

Old 08-02-2018, 01:43 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,286,436 times
Quote:
In fact, 243 billion in their overseas accounts and Apple cannot afford to hire workers in California or the rest of America to make their products?

That's BS!

It's people like them that are a factor in some of the socioeconomic problems in California, including homelessness. If they were willing to manufacture in California and pay more taxes, there'd be better quality jobs and less people living paycheck to paycheck. But yeah, it's all about hoarding money!

Greedy bastards!

And those of you who are Republican, please don't bother to defend this. Offshoring and hoarding like this has hurt Trump's base and you know it. It's why he is working on renegotiating the trade deals and placing tariffs on imports. Even if Trump can acknowledge these practices have created poverty in America, you should be able to too.
More info on Apple cash .

Apple is increasing U.S manufacturing and jobs .
Apple is a company though and not a charity .

https://venturebeat.com/2018/01/17/a...-over-5-years/

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ap...ion-2018-01-17
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles