Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2018, 10:24 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You guys are so funny. ”Pulido said some homeless people are “flat-out criminals” and “mean, mean people
That describes a significant percentage of the general population as well, of course. But aside from that, yeah? Kinda obvious that a lot of ex-cons would end up homeless. Especially in today’s internet age where everyone can be vetted on-line by landlords, so even if a person can afford rent in tight inventory markets, they still can’t qualify.

The question isn’t whether these problems are real ... question is: “what are you proposing be done to resolve them?”

How will you support clearing the streets of the undesirable?

Or are you two just loving the venue to kvetch and ridicule endlessly?
I'm of average height, and I do a regular routine of shoulder presses, upright rows, bicep curls, and hammer curls. I'm not a huge guy, but I'm not small either.

Now then, consider that, and also that over the past ten years, the only people with whom I've come close to having a physical altercation have been mentally deranged homeless people. In fact, just last year I was followed by a short time along Wilshire Blvd. by a homeless guy armed with a metal bar who was apparently upset about my making eye contact with him. And then there was the guy who called me an epithet in a Ralph's parking lot for no reason other than trying to provoke me into a fight -- luckily for him there were video cameras in the parking lot and my car's license plate was easily visible, so I had too much to lose by engaging him while this filthy bum had nothing to lose as he wasn't a stakeholder in society so it's just fun and games, standing there and harassing people. And then there was the bum who started yelling at me and accused me of trying to steal his shoes. Yeah, seriously.

And all of this happened just within the past one and a half years.

So then, my problem is that there is a disproportionately high degree of erratic behavior from homeless people. And consider the many people who are smaller than me and not as fit, and females, and older people, etc., and what they probably go through, being terrorized by these street freaks. I don't care where they go, as long as it's far away and I never have to interact with them. Put them on Moon Base Alpha, send them in a rocket ship into Cygnus X-1, euthanize them -- I don't care anymore, because quite frankly, I've had it. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 10:55 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I'm of average height, and I do a regular routine of shoulder presses, upright rows, bicep curls, and hammer curls. I'm not a huge guy, but I'm not small either.

Now then, consider that, and also that over the past ten years, the only people with whom I've come close to having a physical altercation have been mentally deranged homeless people. In fact, just last year I was followed by a short time along Wilshire Blvd. by a homeless guy armed with a metal bar who was apparently upset about my making eye contact with him. And then there was the guy who called me an epithet in a Ralph's parking lot for no reason other than trying to provoke me into a fight -- luckily for him there were video cameras in the parking lot and my car's license plate was easily visible, so I had too much to lose by engaging him while this filthy bum had nothing to lose as he wasn't a stakeholder in society so it's just fun and games, standing there and harassing people. And then there was the bum who started yelling at me and accused me of trying to steal his shoes. Yeah, seriously.

And all of this happened just within the past one and a half years.

So then, my problem is that there is a disproportionately high degree of erratic behavior from homeless people. And consider the many people who are smaller than me and not as fit, and females, and older people, etc., and what they probably go through, being terrorized by these street freaks. I don't care where they go, as long as it's far away and I never have to interact with them. Put them on Moon Base Alpha, send them in a rocket ship into Cygnus X-1, euthanize them -- I don't care anymore, because quite frankly, I've had it. Period.
Interestingly, I have lived in close proximity to lots and lots of homeless for years and years. I have never ever, not once, been shouted at or harassed or hustled in any way whatsoever. Never. Not even by completely delusional psychos. In fact, I have many times, literally, had ravers stop and look at me and just say “hello” in near normal voice and then return to their show.

I am now into my 70’s. I remain, as I always have been, thin, of ordinary height, wiry, and fit due to the lifestyle I live. No flab. But certainly not a tough bull of a guy that would strike fear in a nut case on the street.

I believe your story. And I honestly suspect the difference between us is an air and attitude. I don’t look like a pushover ... but neither do I act arrogant or repulsed by anyone. I appear as I am: everyday ordinary, blue-collar, friendly, quick with a smile and a joke or quip. I drive an old van, not a BMW. I wear open sandals and jeans, or sweats and t-shirts ... not yachty Gucci loafers and Dockers.

All that said, I know perfectly well who lives on the streets. I am never off guard for a second. I just don’t wear it like a challange or a judgement. I suspect by the type of posts you make, that you do broadcast in person the same attitude you write with.

Now, are the mental case homeless who prowl the streets often disgusting and potentially problematical? You bet. And you can see them well before any need to engage. So don’t. Pretty damn simple really.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:46 PM

639 posts, read 1,071,944 times
Quote:
Interestingly, I have lived in close proximity to lots and lots of homeless for years and years. I have never ever, not once, been shouted at or harassed or hustled in any way whatsoever. Never. Not even by completely delusional psychos. In fact, I have many times, literally, had ravers stop and look at me and just say “hello” in near normal voice and then return to their show.

I am now into my 70’s. I remain, as I always have been, thin, of ordinary height, wiry, and fit due to the lifestyle I live. No flab. But certainly not a tough bull of a guy that would strike fear in a nut case on the street.

I believe your story. And I honestly suspect the difference between us is an air and attitude. I don’t look like a pushover ... but neither do I act arrogant or repulsed by anyone. I appear as I am: everyday ordinary, blue-collar, friendly, quick with a smile and a joke or quip. I drive an old van, not a BMW. I wear open sandals and jeans, or sweats and t-shirts ... not yachty Gucci loafers and Dockers.
It's blame the victim time! It's your fault for getting harassed by the drug addicts on the street, since you decided to not look like a poor person. Guess what. I can wear nice clothes if I want to, and if I do, it's not my fault if someone harasses me on the street as a result.

Quote:
All that said, I know perfectly well who lives on the streets. I am never off guard for a second. I just don’t wear it like a challange or a judgement. I suspect by the type of posts you make, that you do broadcast in person the same attitude you write with.

Now, are the mental case homeless who prowl the streets often disgusting and potentially problematical? You bet. And you can see them well before any need to engage. So don’t. Pretty damn simple really.
Like we go out of the way to engage these people? This is ridiculous. It's not our obligation to look and act a certain way, so that we don't get harassed by strangers. It's their responsibility to not bother us.

Yeah I know, they're impaired, society did this and that to them. Us victimizers turned them into victims. Whatever, we still have the right to not be harassed.

Old 08-24-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
It's blame the victim time! It's your fault for getting harassed by the drug addicts on the street, since you decided to not look like a poor person. Guess what. I can wear nice clothes if I want to, and if I do, it's not my fault if someone harasses me on the street as a result.

Like we go out of the way to engage these people? This is ridiculous. It's not our obligation to look and act a certain way, so that we don't get harassed by strangers. It's their responsibility to not bother us.

Yeah I know, they're impaired, society did this and that to them. Us victimizers turned them into victims. Whatever, we still have the right to not be harassed.
Yes. It IS typically your fault if you get harrassed. Absolutely. But it’s not the clothes, dude. It’s the attitude you wear. And your apparent lack of common sense as to where and how you walk.

Never suggested you “go out of your way to engage these people” ... just the opposite. I suggest you can EASILY go ever so slightly out of your way to avoid engagement. Nothing to it. If you see a runaway truck racing toward you as you cross on a green light, do you protest that you have the right of way? Or do you simply step back on the curb?

Roflmmfao at “It’s their responsibility to not bother us”! Holy Moley man! We’re talking psychotic people here and you are suggesting they act “responsibly”? Is this a joke post from you? Really?

“Right to not be harrassed”? Well, that’s settled then! Issue closed! It won’t happen again, sir!

Still lmao.

You know, for someone who just wrote in the other thread that you don’t have time to research facts, you sure are spending time in these threads and watching YouTubes. Lol lol lol

Old 08-24-2018, 04:34 PM

639 posts, read 1,071,944 times
Quote:

You know, for someone who just wrote in the other thread that you don’t have time to research facts, you sure are spending time in these threads and watching YouTubes. Lol lol lol
Well, this is one thing I agree with you on. I spend a lot of time thinking about this issue. Probably more than I should. It's just that I grew up in California, including time in both San Francisco and the LA area, and it especially pains me to see how San Francisco has become. An overpriced city of tech bros (and gals) with thousands of destitute people on the streets I enjoyed as a kid. So I have an urge to try to understand how this happened and to seek solutions. But I have my own life now in Chicago and yes I shouldn't be spending too much time arguing with randos on the internet about this. So I'll stop now. Enjoy your boat, Tulemutt :-)

Old 08-24-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
Well, this is one thing I agree with you on. I spend a lot of time thinking about this issue. Probably more than I should. It's just that I grew up in California, including time in both San Francisco and the LA area, and it especially pains me to see how San Francisco has become. An overpriced city of tech bros (and gals) with thousands of destitute people on the streets I enjoyed as a kid. So I have an urge to try to understand how this happened and to seek solutions. But I have my own life now in Chicago and yes I shouldn't be spending too much time arguing with randos on the internet about this. So I'll stop now. Enjoy your boat, Tulemutt :-)
Well, sir, for two posters who seem at such odds with each other, we also agree on a number of points. SF has become an overpriced city full of tech-bros and gals ... who certainly haven’t added value to the character of the old city. And neither have the homeless. It’s disgusting at both ends of the spectrum.

I moved to California in the 60’s ... after youth in Minnesota (Twin Cities). Don’t know how you can enjoy Chi-town. But good luck to you. I’ll suffer the California issues any day over upper mid-west.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Yes. It IS typically your fault if you get harrassed. Absolutely. But it’s not the clothes, dude. It’s the attitude you wear. And your apparent lack of common sense as to where and how you walk.
So, if I'm not smiling at every single person I see, it's my fault if I get harassed? Poppycock.

BTW, attire can be ruled out, because in a number of cases I was dressed like a pauper because I'd been doing dirty chores around my home or gardening. One would think bums would be nicer to me, seeing that i was almost dressed like one of them. Or, perhaps that was the problem and they though I was a competing bum in their territory.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
So, if I'm not smiling at every single person I see, it's my fault if I get harassed? Poppycock.

BTW, attire can be ruled out, because in a number of cases I was dressed like a pauper because I'd been doing dirty chores around my home or gardening. One would think bums would be nicer to me, seeing that i was almost dressed like one of them. Or, perhaps that was the problem and they though I was a competing bum in their territory.
“Attitude” is more than smiles. Smiles can be phoney, like anything else. Here’s the thing: you know how dogs can sense a sucker and friendly vibes ... and they can sense bullcrap and who’s a creep too, at a glance and a sniff? People sense others at that level too. It’s subliminal. You can’t really hide who you are by acting otherwise. And people give off signals that others pick up on at gut level without even knowing what they are sensing. If homeless people - or other creeps - are zeroing in on you, there’s a reason. You’re a mark because they are sensing something.

In any case, you’re perfectly entitled to be whoever you are, of course. The take away is: if you are attracting that kind of attention, accept it and adopt avoidance habits ... like crossing the street ... waiting a few seconds or a minute to walk in a group of others rather than alone ... don’t go places where you see potential confrontations. Pretty simple stuff.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
“Attitude” is more than smiles. Smiles can be phoney, like anything else. Here’s the thing: you know how dogs can sense a sucker and friendly vibes ... and they can sense bullcrap and who’s a creep too, at a glance and a sniff? People sense others at that level too. It’s subliminal. You can’t really hide who you are by acting otherwise. And people give off signals that others pick up on at gut level without even knowing what they are sensing. If homeless people - or other creeps - are zeroing in on you, there’s a reason. You’re a mark because they are sensing something.

In any case, you’re perfectly entitled to be whoever you are, of course. The take away is: if you are attracting that kind of attention, accept it and adopt avoidance habits ... like crossing the street ... waiting a few seconds or a minute to walk in a group of others rather than alone ... don’t go places where you see potential confrontations. Pretty simple stuff.
I absolutely agree with parts of your assessment. However...

1. I have no problems interacting with people in general. I understand the fundamentals of human nature, and have read books on the topic by Dale Carnegie, Napoleon Hill, etc. I'm not "that guy". Even people bigger than me don't give me certain looks, because I'm the guy with one of those looks.

2. Everybody in L.A. gets messed with by homeless people. Trust me on this.

BTW, in which area do you live? I ask because I believe that the worst of the homeless aggregate in certain parts of L.A., whereas in others they tend to be more docile. I believe this to be the case because in areas where people are higher stakeholders, the homeless know this and they're more emboldened to get mouthy because they know most people of a certain financial tier have a proportionally greater amount to lose by getting arrested for aggravated assault.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I absolutely agree with parts of your assessment. However...

1. I have no problems interacting with people in general. I understand the fundamentals of human nature, and have read books on the topic by Dale Carnegie, Napoleon Hill, etc. I'm not "that guy". Even people bigger than me don't give me certain looks, because I'm the guy with one of those looks.

2. Everybody in L.A. gets messed with by homeless people. Trust me on this.

BTW, in which area do you live? I ask because I believe that the worst of the homeless aggregate in certain parts of L.A., whereas in others they tend to be more docile. I believe this to be the case because in areas where people are higher stakeholders, the homeless know this and they're more emboldened to get mouthy because they know most people of a certain financial tier have a proportionally greater amount to lose by getting arrested for aggravated assault.
I wander now I’m retired. Home base was San Francisco’s Marina District for many years. Not homeless central, but quite populated with that crowd. SF has long been infamous for having “aggressive” homeless. And I’m a bench sitter frequently, just enjoying the waterfront and park views. Eat lunch in public often. Never had a single issue in all my years there.

Then several years back I switched home base down to San Diego pretty much between the Midway district and Point Loma - which area is totally loaded with homeless. Again, never once been confronted or yelled at.

But I have also kept a slip in Morro Bay for years and spend more and more time there lately, as well as long summers up in Puget Sound, Washington. Not much for homeless in MB. Some, living in vans and underbrush near the beach. But mostly young transients. They never bother anybody in such a small town.

I did used to keep a share address in Hollywood with a cousin, but rarely spent time there. Never bothered by anyone there or other visiting spots in Long Beach or out in Fontana or Santa Monica or Malibu beaches.

I can see you as a person who interacts fine with the general public, sure. But, you have clear attitudes and airs about the homeless. So, I’m guessing at some level that reality seeps out through the ethers maybe. That’s all.

I don’t embrace or sympathize much with homeless the way you likely assume. They’re just another lifeform to me. Individuals sometimes stand out differently from others. I’ve gotten to know a number of regulars in certain areas and chat freely. They never even hit me up for a buck, though I’ve been known to share often without being asked. I don’t look even slightly like a pushover or an easy hit ... quite clearly the opposite - but, at the same time I carry no disdainfulness, no arrogance, no malice. There’s nothing one way or the other for them to attach to me energy-wise. I laugh easily with them and take them as they are.

I would say, thinking on it now, that my handful of good friends of similar lifestyle to mine don’t seem to have any problems with the homeless either. None of them have ever mentioned an incident to me that I recall anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles