Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2018, 03:06 AM

13,563 posts, read 15,490,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Lol. Seriously you two. My comment was in direct response to Exitus’ accusation that the homeless guy should be assumed guilty ... without any further evidence or investigation ... assume it was the homeless guy simply because he is a homeless person. Exactly what you are objecting to ... too gawd damned funny. “Don’t make assumptions.” Tell that to Exitus. My point precisely. Thanks for making my point.

That said, if an assumption is warranted, it favors the greatest statistical occurance. Which, in this case, grossly disfavors the college drunks.

Goodnight all. Lmao.

What I intended to convey was that, since a boy was seriously injured, and the bum was not, there's no reason to assume the bum's innocence, particularly when the boy's injuries are not consistent with self defense against what you alleged were intoxicated college kids out to terrorize homeless people.

You have yourself a really good Sunday, Tulemutt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 03:26 AM

13,563 posts, read 15,490,042 times
That bum who permanently scarred that college kid's face should get a helicopter ride from Pinochet.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:57 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,286,436 times
We have “leaders “ that care more about allowing the homeless to do whatever they want out of some perverted sense of tolerance and political correctness . I don’t see anything changing under this regime.
At least in Santa Ana the Mayor there seems to have woken up and realize there is a big criminal element among the homeless.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:59 AM

Homeless man forcibly grabs an officers gun . Guy is killed . City council gives the family $1.9 million .
Only in L.A.

By the way L.A spends hundreds of millions on these types of lawsuits . And even borrowing money to pay for them
“With payouts projected to total at least $135 million this fiscal year, budget officials said Monday that the city needs to immediately borrow up to $70 million to avoid dipping into its emergency reserve fund.”
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...109-story.html

LA Approves $1.9 Million Settlement To Family Of Homeless Man Killed By LAPD
https://www.npr.org/2018/08/23/64107...an-killed-by-l

Old 08-26-2018, 10:17 AM

9,810 posts, read 11,051,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Homeless man forcibly grabs an officers gun . Guy is killed . City council gives the family $1.9 million .
Only in L.A.

By the way L.A spends hundreds of millions on these types of lawsuits . And even borrowing money to pay for them
“With payouts projected to total at least $135 million this fiscal year, budget officials said Monday that the city needs to immediately borrow up to $70 million to avoid dipping into its emergency reserve fund.”
L.A. needs to borrow millions to cover legal payouts, city report says

LA Approves $1.9 Million Settlement To Family Of Homeless Man Killed By LAPD
https://www.npr.org/2018/08/23/64107...an-killed-by-l
They gave money to the homeless person's family members...the same family members who didn't take him in. LOL We are doomed.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:36 AM

21,565 posts, read 16,072,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
Yeah, your arrogance and bias irritates me. You have this utter certainty that you are right about everything, and that those who disagree are just stupid, even as you reveal your extreme bias in favor of the homeless and make self-contradictory arguments. All the while you act like you are brilliant and others are stupid ignoramuses. So yeah you rub me the wrong way. You probably rub a lot of people the wrong way.
Good for you to admit. Now we can address a couple things critical to rational analysis.

First, yes, I irritate the hell out of some people. You call my “utter certainty”: “arrogance” ... because it defies you. My utter certainty, if incorrect, can be disproved. The problem you, and others have, is in your inability to find error in my logic and science and history I cite. The failures to upend my debates lie in two factors:

1. I am right ... I don’t argue unless I have solid foundation in logic, science, and history ... I rarely, if ever, base anything on simple opinion, partisanship, or ideologies.

2. Those who argue against my points typically DO argue from opinion and anecdotal experiences, as opposed to facts and data.

I don’t necessarily consider those who oppose me to be “stupid” at all. I do consider them intellectually lazy, and/ or inexpert in the art of analysis, logic, and debate.

This tends to pi** a lot of people off ... but it is a result of their own shortcomings or shortsightedness.
There are also quite a few folks who enjoy my eviserative analyses. Depends, obviously, which side of an argument a person is on.

Now, all that said above, you are quite wrong about me having an “extreme bias” favoring homeless people. Your statement to that is indicative of how superficially you read my posts on the topic. I would guess you miss my true positions because you find me so irritating. Clouds your judgement and analysis.

For example: in several threads here and San Francisco forum, when I propose you follow my links to review data and studies, you argue you don’t have the time (yet here you are again and again arguing without data to support your own gut feelings). You say you can’t engage the resources because they might have paywalls ... etc. You also have declared several times that your arguments should stand because they are simply “common sense” and are supported by various YouTube interviews with homeless persons.

In other words sir, you aren’t willing to pursue facts. Your entire focus is personal, on your irritation with me. That’s why you fail to present valid rebuttal. Much as you dislike me personally, I focus on the underlying truths of the issues. That’s not bias. I back sh*t up apart from any personal feelings.

And finally, with regard to my personal feelings about the homeless: it really comes down to the homeless are a very diverse sub-population. I am deeply sympathetic to some ... and equally unsympathetic to others. What I particularly object to coming from many posters here on these forums is the grotesque stereotyping of homelessness that vilifies the label for all. This has an effect of inciting hate and even violence which is counterproductive to dealing with the associated issues.

Have a good one bub.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:58 AM

872 posts, read 587,265 times
Right luv! There is an endless supply of money being thrown at this ! It's making some other groups angry because it's taking money from the causes they once got the funds for.
These criminal and mentally ill vagrants are never going to get better- in fact that seems to be the plan eh-
They are out there to cause violence and mess so the tax dollars can be divied out!
Where is the outcry from the police and firefighters?

Old 08-26-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
What I intended to convey was that, since a boy was seriously injured, and the bum was not, there's no reason to assume the bum's innocence, particularly when the boy's injuries are not consistent with self defense against what you alleged were intoxicated college kids out to terrorize homeless people.

You have yourself a really good Sunday, Tulemutt.
Your “intended conveyance” is a complete fail, Exitus.

You assume the “bum’s” guilt ... while assuming the “victim’s” innocence ... based on, well, lousy, faulty analysis.

This is not to say the opposite (the “bum” is innocent) is the case either.

I presented three scenarios to consider:

a.) the homeless guy launched an attack unprovoked as a lone assailant against the overwhelming odds of a group of inebriated young college student friends

b.) the homeless guy was goaded into the fight (in which he was the superior hand)

c.) the homeless guy was attacked without provocation and defended himself superiorly.

Since the article quotes the college buddies as saying they argued with the homeless guy, and that a fight ensued (you can go reread that if you need to of course), the greatest bet would be on selection “b”, no? But it is as yet unknown. I guarantee you the investigation was not concluded with the victims’ statement of innocence. The likelihood of a lone assailant attacking unprovoked against the overwhelming odds of a group of inebriated young college student friends is so low in police experience, and given historical data on such attacks, that the investigators and court will be skeptical.

As an example, lack of defensive wounds mean little. Attacks can be too sudden for defensive reaction ... or, conversely, the injured party’s own hands could have been completely offensively engaged, entangled grabbing hair or clothing, for example.

Point being: until the investigation is complete, you really have no justification for calling for vigilantism ... or characterizing the homeless broadly as deranged animals, as you do. You are engaging in textbook fear-mongering and vilification. This kind of broadcasting of opinion is a known contributor inciting violence against the homeless ... which, in turn leads to reactive fear on the part of the homeless toward the housed population. You are, simply put, making things worse. For all parties.

And you wonder why homeless people sometimes harass you “for no reason”? Lol. You reek of subliminal indicators.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
They gave money to the homeless person's family members...the same family members who didn't take him in. LOL We are doomed.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing . The mother in the photo looked well dressed and not homeless .
Why are the family members getting millions for someone they wrote off ? Doesn’t seem to make much sense.

She’s such a great mother she never taught her son you don’t reach for an officer’s gun .

Old 08-26-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROX View Post
Right luv! There is an endless supply of money being thrown at this ! It's making some other groups angry because it's taking money from the causes they once got the funds for.
These criminal and mentally ill vagrants are never going to get better- in fact that seems to be the plan eh-
They are out there to cause violence and mess so the tax dollars can be divied out!
Where is the outcry from the police and firefighters?
So, TC ... as you praise OC’s comments, I am wondering did you view his YouTube links a few posts back? You know: the ones that followed up on the “Bum Fights” video series of some years back? The ones where several of the primary, and extremely grotesque, “bums” were found to have quite turned their lives around? The principle character, himself, specifically, shown years later in jacket and tie, clean shaven in meetings and related that he became sober and employed as a real estate property manager?

No, not typical. But a story that has been experienced by quite a lot more homeless mentals and criminals than you allow with your statement above. I got a list I can link, of schizphrenics and bi-polars who lived on the streets for as long as multiple decades and then, through Housing First programs and adherence to prescription protocols, became clean, socially responsible, sober, and some employed.

Rant on dude!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles