Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2018, 09:57 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
They were obviously not walking confidently with a smile not a snear like tulemut does and that's why they were attacked of course.
Hi Finper and Exitus. Do you have any background information on the incident you can share? Like how the readers / viewers can determine:
A) if the attacker is a homeless person?
B) if the people he hit were targeted or randomly assaulted?
C) whether the “victims” instigated the attack in any way previously or during (taunting, previous contact, etc)?
D) why several other bystanders didn’t run away from the event arena and don’t appear to even feel threatened?

The guy is obviously enraged, out of control. He may simply be a psycho and maybe a psycho who happens to also be homeless. What it takes to know is: asking / answering questions such as I listed above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
"It's on the news all the time," ~Sean Dublin

As I stated, I watch the news every day and I don't see it on the news "all the time".
Yeah. What you haven’t stated yet is whether you read the report I linked providing details on 1657 assaults on homeless persons, including 428 murdered, by non-homeless persons.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:18 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Great article about the homeless scam .
Homelessness has become a big industry in cities like L.A.
The more spent the worse the problem has become .

“The pattern is political. And lucrative.

Social crises justify huge spending and expansions of the government. The homeless crisis is largely a problem in lefty cities where it’s heavily subsidized.”

“And that incentivizes the social welfare system and its allied activists to worsen the problem so as to squeeze more money out of taxpayers. Every budget increase means more homeless on the street, more street crime, drug use, and random abuse. Funding the system isn’t the solution, it’s the problem.

The homeless crisis is a billion dollar scam. It isn’t being solved. It’s only getting worse.”

“In Los Angeles, the billions in tax hikes going to build homeless housing are being spent on units that cost an average of $479,000 per unit. At that rate, it would take $15 billion to house all the homeless.

That’s 150% of the entire budget. And by then the population would have doubled.”

https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/1...-scam-opinion/

Old 08-27-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Look at this crazy bum. I suppose some posters here will tell us that it's everybody else's fault, and that the poor bum was simply defending himself.
Quote:
Is this bum too simply defending himself? Sure doesn't look like it to me. Filthy animals like that should be removed from the civilised world, whether they're in prison for life or otherwise.
Quote:
I'm sure this Koreatown grandmother was intoxicated and picking on the poor homeless people when she got attacked by a homeless man defending himself against this granny on a drunken rampage.
So you’ve demonstrated you can find YouTube videos to use in your campaign to vilify the homeless as psychopathic maniacs who should, in your opinion, be euthanized.

There certainly are plenty of psychos in the world. And there are dramatic YouTubes of isolated examples ... including examples of non-homeless persons attacking each other ... and attacking, unprovoked, homeless persons. Would you like to trade YouTubes all day? I can do the same showing violence to balance yours.

Bakerfield teen assaults homeless man with milk crate, unprovoked

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BWq9KoK0TU0

Commuter kicks sleeping homeless man in unprovoked attack

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V2guWMwFTkg

Teens charged with murdering homeless man

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YzA5ea5fjaM

And I can out post you with documentation of unprovoked attacks against the homeless by the non-homeless. By 10x or more easily.

So the question arises: what should be done with non-homeless persons who assault homeless for sport?

Bottom line is: violent, psychopathic behaviors exist among people everywhere. Crime is crime, everywhere. It really doesn’t matter who is crazy or criminal in terms of their housing or religious or racial or socioeconomic status. It all sucks. And demonizing by race, religion, socio-economics is irresponsible fear mongering that makes the situations worse.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Social crises justify huge spending and expansions of the government. The homeless crisis is largely a problem in lefty cities where it’s heavily subsidized.”

“And that incentivizes the social welfare system and its allied activists to worsen the problem so as to squeeze more money out of taxpayers. Every budget increase means more homeless on the street, more street crime, drug use, and random abuse. Funding the system isn’t the solution, it’s the problem.

The homeless crisis is a billion dollar scam. It isn’t being solved. It’s only getting worse.”

“In Los Angeles, the billions in tax hikes going to build homeless housing are being spent on units that cost an average of $479,000 per unit. At that rate, it would take $15 billion to house all the homeless.

That’s 150% of the entire budget. And by then the population would have doubled.”

And your alternative solutions are? ...

Old 08-27-2018, 10:37 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
I've not weighed in on this because I think the discussion misses the real issue; there are and always have been a fair number of homeless who are violent and who have significant criminal records but that's a symptom of a bigger problem - a failed criminal justice system.

It costs $75,000 a year to keep an inmate in a California prison but when they are released they are given $250 and a bus ticket back to where they were arrested. There are few or no resources available to them for housing and job training so they end up on the streets. A bed in a sober living home, or a group home can cost as little as $500 a month but state parole claims they don't have enough money to pay for it for all homeless parolees. I know that sounds crazy, and CDCR has some pretty web pages with pictures of all the "rehabilitation services" they provide, but this is straight from the parolee handbook:

Quote:
There may be local groups or agencies in your area that provide food, shelter or other services. The following are suggestions for ways that you may be able to get these services:
Non-violent inmates who are released to county supervision usually fare better. If they have no address they are usually mandated to sober living or a group home as a condition of probation, but the worst of the worst, the violent repeat offenders who are on state parole are left to roam the streets with little or no supervision, they are usually not in compliance with parole but without an address it's near impossible for an agent to find them and violate their parole.

The other cohort of violent homeless are the mentally ill who usually can be managed on an outpatient basis with medication, but seeing a mental health professional means a 45 minute bus trip with two transfers the most seriously ill won't get the help they need. Mental health services should be delivered where the patients are, if that's on the streets then Doctors, nurses and EMT's need to set up shop there rather than in some fancy office building 30 miles away.

So you can post youtube videos and newspaper articles about violent homeless people all day long and it won't change a thing, the core issues need to be addressed or nothing will ever change.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I've not weighed in on this because I think the discussion misses the real issue; there are and always have been a fair number of homeless who are violent and who have significant criminal records but that's a symptom of a bigger problem - a failed criminal justice system.

It costs $75,000 a year to keep an inmate in a California prison but when they are released they are given $250 and a bus ticket back to where they were arrested. There are few or no resources available to them for housing and job training so they end up on the streets. A bed in a sober living home, or a group home can cost as little as $500 a month but state parole claims they don't have enough money to pay for it for all homeless parolees. I know that sounds crazy, and CDCR has some pretty web pages with pictures of all the "rehabilitation services" they provide, but this is straight from the parolee handbook:

Non-violent inmates who are released to county supervision usually fare better. If they have no address they are usually mandated to sober living or a group home as a condition of probation, but the worst of the worst, the violent repeat offenders who are on state parole are left to roam the streets with little or no supervision, they are usually not in compliance with parole but without an address it's near impossible for an agent to find them and violate their parole.

The other cohort of violent homeless are the mentally ill who usually can be managed on an outpatient basis with medication, but seeing a mental health professional means a 45 minute bus trip with two transfers the most seriously ill won't get the help they need. Mental health services should be delivered where the patients are, if that's on the streets then Doctors, nurses and EMT's need to set up shop there rather than in some fancy office building 30 miles away.

So you can post youtube videos and newspaper articles about violent homeless people all day long and it won't change a thing, the core issues need to be addressed or nothing will ever change.
Excellent summary. And I would add that, given the extreme vilification of the homeless by people such as are posting these videos and commentary here, many of the homeless who are not predisposed to violence, and who are not ex-cons with a prison life background ... are harrassed and abused so often that they sometimes become reactionary and violent under the conditions they experience.

The more people stereotype the homeless, the worse the problem becomes.

1. Treat the mentally ill, on the streets if necessary, as Sleepy suggests.
2. Accommodate the ex-cons off the streets while offering reintegration services
3. And stop harrassing and vilifying the homeless stereotypically.

1, 2, 3 ... or YOU make a terrible situation worse.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:31 AM

872 posts, read 595,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Pretty much says it all- the vagrants and their slave holders love it I guess... lots of money for the vagrant and mentally ill slave holders and lots of repercussion free crime for the vagrants- its a lifestyle neither can turn from now it seems..and they want more and worse conditions!!

Great post jm

Old 08-27-2018, 06:46 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
So you’ve demonstrated you can find YouTube videos to use in your campaign to vilify the homeless as psychopathic maniacs who should, in your opinion, be euthanized.

There certainly are plenty of psychos in the world. And there are dramatic YouTubes of isolated examples ... including examples of non-homeless persons attacking each other ... and attacking, unprovoked, homeless persons. Would you like to trade YouTubes all day? I can do the same showing violence to balance yours.

And I can out post you with documentation of unprovoked attacks against the homeless by the non-homeless. By 10x or more easily.

So the question arises: what should be done with non-homeless persons who assault homeless for sport?

Bottom line is: violent, psychopathic behaviors exist among people everywhere. Crime is crime, everywhere. It really doesn’t matter who is crazy or criminal in terms of their housing or religious or racial or socioeconomic status. It all sucks. And demonizing by race, religion, socio-economics is irresponsible fear mongering that makes the situations worse.
Violent, psychopathic behaviors are often exhibited by people who are no longer stakeholders in society, such as in the case of the "Killdozer" guy who bulldozed half a town because he was on the verge of losing his home. Or Andrew Stack, who lost everything and therefore decided to fly his airplane into an IRS building in Austin, Texas.

So then, I ask, who is more likely to exhibit violent, psychopathic behaviors -- a person who has a home, family, and career, or a homeless bum who has a brain chemistry imbalance?

You have a fantastic Monday, sir.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:49 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Geeze, lady, would you make up your mind? I thought we needed to let people out of prison, in your opinion, and now we need to put the criminals living on our streets back into prison? Pick one or the other, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles