Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2018, 09:59 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
A decision from the 9th circuit court . A known liberal court .
So we can ignore the ruling? Can I ignore Appellate Court rulings that come out of conservative courts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 10:38 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
For all the good it did... the following is from 11/2017: https://www.dailynews.com/2017/11/08...oposition-hhh/
It shows the red tape they need to go through to make any progress: (Sept 2018): L.A. council members make uneven progress on homeless housing

Old 09-09-2018, 10:43 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Great, then build some huts
Who said anything about huts? I've never said anything about huts.

The current documented, professionally estimated plan is to spend $900 Million on 2,700 housing units. That's 333,333 for each unit. That isn't a hut.

The document you mosted https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...essreport.html says there are approximately 23,000 homeless at any given point in time. That's a city.

At 333,333 per unit -- the official plan -- that's $7.67 BILLION. That isn't huts. Pull up a spreadsheet and calculate the twice-yearly bond payments. Also estimate how much the operating costs will be.

You, on the other hand, have proposed parking lots for 23,000 homeless souls.

Quote:
in Blythe
Who said anything about Blythe? I never said anything about Blythe.

Quote:
especially when they find out that the 'housing' is transitional and will only be available to them for 3-6 months
Who said anything about being transitional and only available for 3-6 months? There is every expectation this a permanent housing.

Quote:
I will admit, all I have is anecdotal evidence from over two decades working in law enforcement and also from doing volunteer work with homeless women with children for many years.
Yes, it is clear you've never held a senior position in the private sector where you must produce, you know, results.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 09-09-2018 at 10:52 AM..

Old 09-09-2018, 10:51 AM

872 posts, read 595,761 times
jm the 9th is also the MOST OVERTURNED circuit EVER... lots of great stuff going on to help us restore law and order and more than likely a bigger and better new state hospital system with private and federal involvement.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:53 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Yes, it is clear you've never held a senior office in the private sector where you must produce, you know, results.
It certainly beats the posters on this thread who have ZERO experience with the homeless, view them as substandard human beings, and simply want them gone.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:04 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Why go after me? Read what I said. They do not have to go where you decide they should. Of course a shelter can be a block away, it can probably be 30 minutes away from where they are, it just has to be reasonable or the court will not allow them to be arrested for sleeping in public. That's not my opinion it's the courts so why attack me for saying it?

A police officer in a northern california county told me that they have a network of churches which will provide emergency shelter if the local shelter is full so basically they always have a bed to offer a homeless person. Because they are able to do that they can arrest people who refuse shelter and sleep in a public place.

If LA could offer a shelter bed to every homeless person sleeping on the street they could arrest them if they refuse, what they can't do is offer a shelter bed in Bakersfield and then arrest people for refusing a bus ticket to Kern County
Well, Lancaster is in LA County. Problem solved.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:10 AM

Yep - that's the way its shaping up- thankfully... vagrants and mentally ill away from harm and temptation and in where than can get services, safety and hope -- and for a fraction of what the pro-crime, pro-homelessness advocates are drooling over.

Last edited by TCROX; 09-09-2018 at 11:19 AM..

Old 09-09-2018, 11:13 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Well, Lancaster is in LA County. Problem solved.
Perfect! I'm sure the residents of Lancaster will love it and the homeless in LA will gladly pack up and travel 70 miles to their new digs

Old 09-09-2018, 11:25 AM

yep- lots of economic opportunities for the locals - the lifelong criminal vagrants, other vagrants and the mentally ill will have life long structure and supervision if they can't generate and sort of self sufficiency.. that's the way life is.. in a humane and orderly democracy...they have made their choices or are unable to make choices, so the good people of the US will help them the way we used to pre- aclu....choices have consequences...good and bad...that's just the way life is in a non-nanny state. that's just the way life really is... we'll be glad to help them move into their nice new domiciles... heck as more and more facilities spring up ...more and more opportunities will arise... again that's the way life is..

Old 09-09-2018, 02:23 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Who said anything about huts? I've never said anything about huts.

The current documented, professionally estimated plan is to spend $900 Million on 2,700 housing units. That's 333,333 for each unit. That isn't a hut.

The document you mosted https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...essreport.html says there are approximately 23,000 homeless at any given point in time. That's a city.

At 333,333 per unit -- the official plan -- that's $7.67 BILLION. That isn't huts. Pull up a spreadsheet and calculate the twice-yearly bond payments. Also estimate how much the operating costs will be.

You, on the other hand, have proposed parking lots for 23,000 homeless souls.
I haven’t read any suggestion here from anybody to set aside parking lots for 23,000 homeless souls. Where did you get that, Sport?

What I have read, and posted myself, is that parking for homeless to live in cars and rv’s can be one of many venues in a multi-pronged approach to managing part of the homeless disaster.

I have also read Sleepy, myself, and others here agreeing that units costing hundred’s of thousands are mostly ridiculous at simplistic face value ... but not necessarily ridiculous if factored over time and multi-occupancy uses, and including management service centers beyond unit occupancy.

Several of us have pointed repeatedly to multi-venue solutions that are nowhere near any hundred’s of thousands $ per unit ... yet you keep going back to using extreme case scenarios to argue impossibilities of financing. Why?

You have agreed that the problems are reaching crisis proportion and something should and needs to be done. Yet when contributors here who have worked directly with homeless and related benefits bring ideas to the discussion, you go again and again back to the “$333,333” deep well. Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles