U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2018, 10:30 AM

14,526 posts, read 8,407,138 times

Advertisements

So, jm, Exitus, TC et al ... an attempt here to circumvent the “Homeless Containment Thread”? ... so you can bash away without interference from those posters who have actual education and experience in matters of homelessness?

Tsk tsk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 10:36 AM

3,509 posts, read 1,937,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Scroll back, Sporty.

Bottoms up.
Yea it's only 4000 posts..... hope you don't have to go to work today Sporty.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Yea it's only 4000 posts..... hope you don't have to go to work today Sporty.
He won’t have to scroll through 4000 posts to find solid information on solutions from the handful of posters here who know what they are talking about. Such information and suggestions have been posted repeatedly throughout he thread ... including many in response to Sporty’s recent engagements.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:39 AM

17 posts, read 9,205 times
Homelessness is definitely out of control all over. Just yesterday my car was attacked with me inside while at a red light on Pioneer/Carson intersection in Hawaiian Gardens. Guy cursed me out with no provocation and starting hitting my car hard as he could. I thought about filing a police report, but do police even do anything about violent homeless people?

Old 09-14-2018, 12:05 PM

10,714 posts, read 10,447,548 times
Remember, folks, it's just best to not engage any trolling. Like Nancy Reagan taught us, just say 'no'.

Back to the tread topic, I'm glad local LE did something about this so we would not have another Ghost Ship scenario. Nicely done, LAPD et al.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Straw man argument. I've never asserted they would agree to be "...rounded up and shipped off." I agree with you: they will not agree to be rounded up and shipped off. You can stop trying to convince me to abandon a position that I don't have.

I'm too busy drinking excessively aged single malt Scotch and smoking Cohibas lit with $100 bills.

C'mon, Sleepy; propose a solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
How 'bout you, CA4Now? Do you have a solution to propose?
So Sport ... I’m taking a break from boating and driving today. Have a few minutes to address the ways in which you have been making some off-base assumptions.

To start, let’s establish a frame of references for various statistics by using the latest L.A. Homeless Survey counts here:
https://www.lahsa.org/news?article=4...-count-results

Caveat: even if you choose to dispute the accuracy of a government-conducted survey, as certain posters do, it should be noted that exact accuracy isn’t required for our conversation. Ballparking will do fine as there is considerable confirmation of decent relativity in these numbers available from all other city counts across the nation ... and corroboration from various independent scholarly sources.

So let’s just use these numbers for general converation. The page linked is to a list of “Data Summaries” links from which I will draw a few references. Rather than cite each % exactly, I am sometimes going to give a roughly middle approximate to account for the realities that these numbers are variable a few % one way or another at differing times and locations. Thus if I write 25%, that means variable between as much as 20% and 30%. ... unless there is an instance requiring better precision. Ok?

All said, you have been working with a figure of about 50,000 homeless needing housing units in order to satisfy calls to house. I (and others) have corrected you several times that such number is a faux call, for starters.

The total homeless count number in the linked survey is (rounded up): 53,000 for the County

But, of that number, only 14,000 are “Chronically Homeless”.

And only 18,000 are without shelter on any given night as there are shelters and beds and other venues for many already.

These are very important numbers to note and use. Examples of why are:

*. Definition of ‘Chronically Homeless’ is:
Quote:
... a single individual (or head of household) with a disabling condition who has either:

Experienced homelessness for longer than a year, during which time the individual may have lived in a shelter, Safe Haven, or a place not meant for human habitation.
Or experienced homelessness four or more times in the last three years.
* Most people are homeless for two months (In fact, two-thirds are off the streets in two months.) (National Symposium on Homelessness Research)

* 25% of homeless people are employed (National Coalition for the Homeless)

Fair to summarize then:
Rounding up 53,000 homeless and housing them in Antelope Valley would be, obviously, uh, stupid, right?

I mean:
* 75% are re-housed by themselves within a year ... so defeating purposes to forcefully relocate them

* 25% are already employed ... so defeating purposes to forcefully relocate them

Other point to note:

* Nearly 16,000 homeless are living in vehicles (cars, vans, RV’s combined) ... some of these are chronics, some are working, others in one stage or another of employment / housing / benefits transition.

This is important for you to understand because you have ridiculed the idea that 53,000 parking spaces is not practical in your opinion, etc.

Fact is, though, providing services to manage 16,000 people already living in vehicles would be far more efficient and less costly and less disruptive to communities if - instead of law enforment chasing these vehicles around from random spots - they could be grouped with facilities for sanitation, etc.

Bottom line is: the core *housing problem* is (at this time in LA County) for 14,000 chronics who are costing the lion’s share of existing municipal budgets for emergencies, law-enforcement, clean-ups and other issues. And who are causing the greatest amount of trouble, danger and general disruption.

But even 14,000 housing units (@ $333,000) aren’t needed due to the nature of some of these chronics’ problems and potentials ... or, even, sadly, longevities. It’s a long conversation. For now I’m drawing to a close.

Suffice to say for now, Sporty, I can go on and on at exhaustive length and degree demonstrating the ways in which your erudition with reductionist number crunching is inapplicable in this analysis.

To get anywhere with the numbers with regard to homeless problem-solving - you really need to understand the variables ... and the character of the variables ... in ways you just clearly are not experienced and informed. Street view is critical. That’s not where you live, brotherman. This ain’t your home address.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairbdes View Post
Homelessness is definitely out of control all over. Just yesterday my car was attacked with me inside while at a red light on Pioneer/Carson intersection in Hawaiian Gardens. Guy cursed me out with no provocation and starting hitting my car hard as he could. I thought about filing a police report, but do police even do anything about violent homeless people?
Yeah. About the exact same they do with the many many many more violent non-homeless people.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:15 PM

3,509 posts, read 1,937,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Remember, folks, it's just best to not engage any trolling. Like Nancy Reagan taught us, just say 'no'.

Back to the tread topic, I'm glad local LE did something about this so we would not have another Ghost Ship scenario. Nicely done, LAPD et al.

indeed... who knows how many more "ghost ships" there are in Ca. I've been seeing a lot of homeless hanging out around a empty industrial buildg close to where I work

Old 09-14-2018, 12:17 PM

25,306 posts, read 16,255,250 times
Quote:

Yes , it is unfortunate the L.A forum is infested with trolls . I think Mrs. Reagan’s advice is good.
The ignore feature comes in handy but then you still see their posts if someone quotes it .

Bravo LAPD I agree

Old 09-14-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Actually, what you should have written is:
“It’s best to not engage IN any trolling.”

You know, like advocating violence against others as has been advocated in other threads on homelessness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles