Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 10:05 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

And ... the misinformation rolls on ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 10:05 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Our local cops are telling us that the homeless are causing a bunch of crime.
They also think the early prisoner release laws are bad too and have also led to an increase in crime.
Are you talking about prop 57? I don't think many people have been released under that and the screening process is pretty tough, the inmate has to be approved by the prison and a parole board. And once again, that law was put into place in order to keep the state under the inmate cap set by SCOTUS.

But do me a favor, next time you to talk to the "local cops" ask them if it is the homeless who sleep on the sidewalk committing serious crimes, or is it people who deny having an address and are considered "transient"

Old 02-21-2018, 10:10 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Are you talking about prop 57? I don't think many people have been released under that and the screening process is pretty tough, the inmate has to be approved by the prison and a parole board. And once again, that law was put into place in order to keep the state under the inmate cap set by SCOTUS.

But do me a favor, next time you to talk to the "local cops" ask them if it is the homeless who sleep on the sidewalk committing serious crimes, or is it people who deny having an address and are considered "transient"
Why are you so in denial that people sleeping on the sidewalk might be committing crime?

Also shouldn't every crime be considered serious? I mean if a crime happens to you don't you consider it serious?

Old 02-21-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
The California State Sheriffs' Association publicly opposed Prop 47, 57, and Sanctuary State policies.
Of course they opposed them. Funding for law enforcement is largely predicated upon the number of people arrested and incarcerated. When laws are relaxed, or people are not held in jails for as long, the argument of the Sheriff that they need to hire more people is much tougher to sell.

What the Sheriff's association failed to address is how they would solve the problem of complying with the SCOTUS prison population cap without finding a way to release offenders who pose a low risk to public safety. If California doesn't make the decision about who to keep in prison the feds have promised that they would.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Why are you so in denial that people sleeping on the sidewalk might be committing crime? Also shouldn't every crime be considered serious? I mean if a crime happens to you don't you consider it serious?
No, every crime is not serious, that's laughable. And of course some people who are unsheltered commit crimes but you can't throw up article after article referring to the arrest of transients and claim that all of those crimes are committed by people pushing shopping carts down the street.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:22 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, every crime is not serious, that's laughable. And of course some people who are unsheltered commit crimes but you can't throw up article after article referring to the arrest of transients and claim that all of those crimes are committed by people pushing shopping carts down the street.
I'm sure you wouldn't be laughing if some of these crimes happened to you. I'll take the word of an LAPD detective, over a homeless advocate that doesn't live in L.A

Old 02-21-2018, 10:38 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
I'm sure you wouldn't be laughing if some of these crimes happened to you. I'll take the word of an LAPD detective, over a homeless advocate that doesn't live in L.A

Facts.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:39 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
So 2Sleepy doesn't live in LA?

If people don't live in LA or right outside of LA they really have no business commenting on this. Because they're not seeing/dealing with it like we are.

What's sad(and I include myself in this) is that is has become the norm and people get used to seeing it.

Just a couple of weeks ago I had two younger guys walking in front of me and there was a guy sprawled out on the sidewalk in his sleeping bag, they just stepped over him and kept talking....like it's not odd to have to do this, not judging them but we all shouldn't be so used to this.

I had to laugh at that Women's March a couple of weeks ago, you know to b**ch about Trump.

How come no march to bring attention to the homeless problem, horrible conditions of the streets, etc?

Old 02-21-2018, 10:44 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So 2Sleepy doesn't live in LA?
She has previously stated that she lives in Sacramento.

Quote:
If people don't live in LA or right outside of LA they really have no business commenting on this. Because they're not seeing/dealing with it like we are.
Truth.

I'd even say, if you haven't spent any meaningful time on Skid Row, talking to people, observing the situation, you probably don't have much of a valid opinion.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:57 AM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Why are you so in denial that people sleeping on the sidewalk might be committing crime?

Also shouldn't every crime be considered serious? I mean if a crime happens to you don't you consider it serious?
Why are you so sure 2sleepy is in denial? She certainly is the one providing specific, researched information here ... unlike yourself who does nothing but attach anecdotal quotes to your kvetches ... and even anecdotes from individual crimes in other cities as far away as NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles