Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2018, 08:27 PM

21,565 posts, read 16,072,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
BTW, 2Sleepy, when were you last in L.A. and which areas did you visit?
So, this kind of challenge keeps coming up from you and a few others here. You ask, but refuse to answer what I have asked many times of you uninformed, myth-loving homeless bashers:

What do you think is uniquely different about LA homelessness as opposed to other homeless? San Francisco. San Diego. Sacramento. ... or even Las Vegas, Reno, Denver, Seattle, Portland, Wash. D.C., NYC, Boston, Chicago, Honolulu ... et al ...

You know: causes, conditions, service programs ...
What do you actually know at all about homelessness - except that you think they are all evil losers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 09:32 PM

13,563 posts, read 15,490,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yeah? Well there have been many actually scientific studies that report the inverse: about 8-9 in 10 homeless were formerly residents in the state (yes, California) where they are now on the streets. In fact, in LA, specifically:
- 75% lived, housed, in LA previously,
- 7% were from other counties in S. CA
- 4% were from other counties in CA
- 13% from other states
- 1% from other countries

Of the LA group:
- 65% lived in LA for more than 20 years before becoming homeless
- 9% lived in LA for between 10 and 20 years prior
- 7% lived in LA for between 5 and 10 years
- 10% from 1 to 5 years
- 10% less than a year

Now, all this information has been posted at least hundreds of times in this thread. In fact, CA4Now just posted the link this morning. Since you and the regular uninformed bashers apparently don’t bother to check the links and learn the facts, I have copied the percentages for you (above).

But here’s the link, again, if you want more education:
https://www.politifact.com/californi...nias-homeless/
From the article to which you linked:

"Myth #2: They’re homeless because they’re drug addicts or mentally ill."

"Myth #3: Homelessness is a choice."

Seriously? I call B.S., with waders and a shovel.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
So, this kind of challenge keeps coming up from you and a few others here. You ask, but refuse to answer what I have asked many times of you uninformed, myth-loving homeless bashers:

What do you think is uniquely different about LA homelessness as opposed to other homeless? San Francisco. San Diego. Sacramento. ... or even Las Vegas, Reno, Denver, Seattle, Portland, Wash. D.C., NYC, Boston, Chicago, Honolulu ... et al ...

You know: causes, conditions, service programs ...
What do you actually know at all about homelessness - except that you think they are all evil losers?
I asked 2Sleepy because I don't think people who do not live here cannot appreciate how bad the homeless situation has become. But thanks for butting in and attributing something to me which I never so much as implied.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:47 PM

26,580 posts, read 26,445,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
curious about why you are so interested in this issue if you live in a suburb of la . The la suburbs don’t typically have a homeless issue at least nowhere near as bad as the city .
Jm, do you read any of the posts from the posters to whom you continue to ask the same questions? Just because I no longer step over homeless people on my way to work in DTLA or because there are no encampments in my particular city does not mean that the homeless problem is not of my concern.

It should concern all of us, regardless of where we live in California.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:50 PM

26,580 posts, read 26,445,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I spent several years working with the homeless in Reno...
Get with it, sleepy....didn't you know that only those who live in specific areas of L.A. are allowed to post on this thread? The rest of us apparently have no insight whatsoever.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:55 PM

42,717 posts, read 25,880,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Get with it, sleepy....didn't you know that only those who live in specific areas of L.A. are allowed to post on this thread? The rest of us apparently have no insight whatsoever.
very true /sigh and you have to have been in specific parts of LA within a certain time frame at a certain time of day and only when there's a full moon, otherwise you don't know $hit about the LA homeless problem.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
From the article to which you linked:

"Myth #2: They’re homeless because they’re drug addicts or mentally ill."

"Myth #3: Homelessness is a choice."

Seriously? I call B.S., with waders and a shovel.
Of course you do (call bs) ...

Now then, I, and others, have, for years here, supplied you with many links to corroborating studies from government agencies, non-profit service organizations, independent academia, media, and unaligned polling firms.

You have, so far, rebutted with - well - nothing but personal opinion based on mythologies that appeal to your mindset.

How about it, Exitus ... how about you show us some credible research to counter what we provide?

Hmmm?

Old 10-21-2018, 09:58 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,286,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yes indeed, they all hop on planes and head for LA, because homeless people all have valid ID's for flying and probably credit cards with air miles too
Umm where did I mention homeless flying in on planes ? Plane is the only way to get to L.A?.. More putting words/txt into my mouth .

Old 10-21-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I asked 2Sleepy because I don't think people who do not live here cannot appreciate how bad the homeless situation has become. But thanks for butting in and attributing something to me which I never so much as implied.
What did I “attribute to [you]”?

And you still didn’t answer my oft asked question? In what way(s) are the homeless of LA unique compared to homeless in other big cities of California ... or the nation?

Btw: “butting in” is what forum posting is all about, really. You do it every time you chime in to a running thread.

But but but butt butt butt

Old 10-21-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Of course you do (call bs) ...

Now then, I, and others, have, for years here, supplied you with many links to corroborating studies from government agencies, non-profit service organizations, independent academia, media, and unaligned polling firms.

You have, so far, rebutted with - well - nothing but personal opinion based on mythologies that appeal to your mindset.

How about it, Exitus ... how about you show us some credible research to counter what we provide?

Hmmm?
I cannot find a study that shows a significant part of L.A.'s homeless population are from elsewhere.

I suspect that the data collected by the article to which you linked was conducted in a parking lot and involved people living in their cars, not people living on the streets. And there's a significant difference between those two types of homeless people, as we natives appreciate but you do not since you live way up in some rural area and have no idea what life is actually like down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles