U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-27-2018, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Laguna Niguel, Orange County CA
9,809 posts, read 8,155,672 times
Reputation: 7912

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Who are you referring to as “regressives”, OC? Nobody said they want “bums, filth, disease, thieves -- mentally ill in their areas” ... who would? Why do you keep saying ridiculous things like this?

A small handful posting here have been feeding you and your angry ilk legal information that you all keep ignoring: “we” can’t put them in the desert ... and neither can you. For legal / constitutional / practical / financial reasons explained ad infinitum ... ad nauseum.

“We”, who I assume you refer to as “regressives”, didn’t write the constitution ... nor the laws ... nor do we enforce them. We’re just here to explain what we all have to work with.
Did you read the article?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-27-2018, 03:57 PM
 
Location: On the water.
14,471 posts, read 8,379,434 times
Reputation: 11855
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Did you read the article?
I hit paywall ... which I’m not willing to register past.

But what in any article changes the facts of what I said:
1. Nobody desires them in their neighborhood
2. You can’t move them to the desert.

So why do you keep saying things like you did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 04:43 PM
 
Location: So Ca
17,069 posts, read 16,017,636 times
Reputation: 14914
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
The LA Times article last posted shows persons who are showing their displeasure that homeless would be brought to their communities. This article refers to these same persons calling homeless "bums" and mentally ill. These persons are in areas that are well known to be liberal, hence the reference, hence the mention.
The people referenced in the article did not label anyone "regressives," as you did.

Regressives: "Regressive left" (also formulated as "regressive liberals" and "regressive leftists") is a neologism and political epithet, used as a pejorative to describe a section of left-wing politics who are accused of holding paradoxical, reactionary views by their tolerance of illiberal principles and ideologies, particularly identity politics (emphasis on group identities like race and gender, rather than on the individual)[1], and opposition to free speech[2] for the sake of multiculturalism and cultural relativism."
-Wikipedia

“These people don’t want to work,” Anne Miskey (chief executive of Union Station, a housing and homeless services nonprofit in Pasadena) recalls hearing, among other complaints. “They’re bums, they’re mentally ill … they should be shipped out, put them in fields. We don’t want them in our neighborhood.”

As Steve Lopez, the columnist, wrote, "And happy Thanksgiving to you, too."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Laguna Niguel, Orange County CA
9,809 posts, read 8,155,672 times
Reputation: 7912
Isn't it interesting that liberals don't want homeless in their neighborhoods? As usual, they are hypocrites on the homeless issue and so very many other issues. It is always from the exclusive areas in West LA, Laguna Beach, Malibu, Marin, etc. from where we must be lectured to about the need to help illegals/caravans, refugees, the homeless, and create affordable housing...SO LONG as it is not in their immediate area.

#walkawayfromhypocrisy

Yes, they are regressives.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 10-27-2018 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 06:24 PM
 
Location: So Ca
17,069 posts, read 16,017,636 times
Reputation: 14914
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Isn't it interesting that liberals don't want homeless in their neighborhoods? As usual, they are hypocrites on the homeless issue and so very many other issues.
Where did you get that idea? You're certainly stereotyping "liberals."

From the O.C. Homeless thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
After heated town hall, LA councilmember ‘still committed’ to Venice homeless shelter:
https://la.curbed.com/2018/10/19/180...onin-metro-lot

Readers react to LAT article:

To the editor: “Furious” residents in Venice and other places need to be asked what their alternative plan is. Would they prefer the status quo with trash, human waste and tents on the sidewalks outside their residences and businesses, or would they prefer housing for homeless people?

The people who oppose the proposed shelter in Venice seem to want housing in some district other than theirs. Then what? Round up Venice’s homeless residents and bus them to another part of Los Angeles?

- Alexa Smith Maxwell, Los Angeles

Not everyone in Venice is 'furious' about building a shelter for homeless people - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Laguna Niguel, Orange County CA
9,809 posts, read 8,155,672 times
Reputation: 7912
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Where did you get that idea? You're certainly stereotyping "liberals."

Where did I get that idea? Liberals profess love for immigrants, refugees, caravans, justice-affected persons, people of color, the homeless, and building affordable housing SO LONG AS SUCH PERSONS ARE NOT IN THEIR AREAS. Look at the cities/areas I listed and tell me I am wrong.

Claim: "Not everyone in Venice is furious about building a shelter for homeless people"

I would be willing to bet that most of the few supporters in favor of a temporary shelter in Venice are likely renters with no skin in the game (young, poor). Photos of the homeless shelter "protesters" outside certainly suggest as much. I will leave it up to you to figure out what is going on there.

As far as the LA Councilmember who still supports the shelter after uproar from the residents of Venice, it does not surprise me. Regressives consider protestors to be NIMBYs and don't care about the concerns of given communities. Regressives always think they know what's best for communities.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 10-27-2018 at 07:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 08:14 PM
 
Location: On the water.
14,471 posts, read 8,379,434 times
Reputation: 11855
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Isn't it interesting that liberals don't want homeless in their neighborhoods? As usual, they are hypocrites on the homeless issue and so very many other issues. It is always from the exclusive areas in West LA, Laguna Beach, Malibu, Marin, etc. from where we must be lectured to about the need to help illegals/caravans, refugees, the homeless, and create affordable housing...SO LONG as it is not in their immediate area.

#walkawayfromhypocrisy

Yes, they are regressives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Where did I get that idea? Liberals profess love for immigrants, refugees, caravans, justice-affected persons, people of color, the homeless, and building affordable housing SO LONG AS SUCH PERSONS ARE NOT IN THEIR AREAS. Look at the cities/areas I listed and tell me I am wrong.

Claim: "Not everyone in Venice is furious about building a shelter for homeless people"

I would be willing to bet that most of the few supporters in favor of a temporary shelter in Venice are likely renters with no skin in the game (young, poor). Photos of the homeless shelter "protesters" outside certainly suggest as much. I will leave it up to you to figure out what is going on there.

As far as the LA Councilmember who still supports the shelter after uproar from the residents of Venice, it does not surprise me. Regressives consider protestors to be NIMBYs and don't care about the concerns of given communities. Regressives always think they know what's best for communities.
I don’t see anything in your posts answering my questions. Your rather rabid stereotyping doesn’t qualify as a credibly qualified response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 04:32 PM
 
Location: So Ca
17,069 posts, read 16,017,636 times
Reputation: 14914
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Where did I get that idea? Liberals profess love for immigrants, refugees, caravans, justice-affected persons, people of color, the homeless, and building affordable housing SO LONG AS SUCH PERSONS ARE NOT IN THEIR AREAS.
Let's stereotype everyone! Everyone in your labeled categories is the same!

Is that fun for you? Certainly must be easy and effortless; you don't need to actually think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I would be willing to bet that most of the few supporters in favor of a temporary shelter in Venice are likely renters with no skin in the game (young, poor).
Nope. If you read any of what was posted, or the print articles about the meeting, several said they were long time residents (one over 50 years) of Venice. They realize that without temporary shelter and help, the homeless problem will continue to get worse.

Same with Pasadena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Laguna Niguel, Orange County CA
9,809 posts, read 8,155,672 times
Reputation: 7912
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
If you read any of what was posted, or the print articles about the meeting, several said they were long time residents (one over 50 years) of Venice. They realize that without temporary shelter and help, the homeless problem will continue to get worse.

Same with Pasadena.
Oh I read it all right. I read that the media highlighted the comments of those persons with whom they agreed. (I have read far less about the Pasadena meeting, so I will limit my discussion to the Venice meeting.) At the Venice meeting, the opposition was in very large attendance, appearing to overwhelm those who might otherwise support the temporary shelters. However, the news media focuses on the voices with which they agree and perhaps didn't even see fit to come to the meeting. Of course, this critical thinking is not something that is easy and effortless and a reader lacking in these critical skills need not actually think and can instead just accept the LATimes articles that have a clear agenda.

My comments with respect to the young and poor candle-holding supporters who were outside the meeting remains the same: probably tenants and probably not even from Venice. They'd have been in the meeting if they were residents.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 10-28-2018 at 05:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,306 posts, read 16,229,684 times
Reputation: 12185
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Oh I read it all right. I read that the media highlighted the comments of those persons with whom they agreed. (I have read far less about the Pasadena meeting, so I will limit my discussion to the Venice meeting.) At the Venice meeting, the opposition was in very large attendance, appearing to overwhelm those who might otherwise support the temporary shelters. However, the news media focuses on the voices with which they agree and perhaps didn't even see fit to come to the meeting. Of course, this critical thinking is not something that is easy and effortless and a reader lacking in these critical skills need not actually think and instead just accept the LATimes articles that have a clear agenda.

My comments with respect to the young and poor candle-holding supporters who were outside the meeting remains the same: probably tenants.
Yes the L.A Times has a clear agenda . All the homeless are just down on their luck good people , this is the same agenda of Eric Garcetti and the entire city council . People that actually live around these homeless encampments and have been victims of the numerous homeless crimes know this is not the reality .

They do the exact same thing with illegal aliens , it’s always sob stories . People that broke our immigration laws and have no respect for the country but we are supposed to feel sorry for them and spend money and resources to support them .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top