U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-29-2018, 08:24 PM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
10,691 posts, read 10,427,607 times
Reputation: 10713

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I went to tiny tots preschool there. I played in the play ground every day. Is there still a play ground there? I learned to roller skate on the basketball courts. Now I couldn't step one foot in that park safely. My friends mother still lives across the street from that park and I really fear for her safety. We moved away in 1975 and about that time we started noticing a big influx of homeless at that park so It's been going on for years and years. There's not many parks in SM so poor kids your outta luck the homeless rule SM now.
There may be a playground in the northwest portion of the park. When I passed by the northeast portion, I was too horrified by all the bums to notice much else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-29-2018, 09:12 PM
 
872 posts, read 331,809 times
Reputation: 745
Clearing up the Obama - brown legacy won't take that long- we are going to keep fighting to restore our communities, state, and nation.
The liberals are so proud of what they have done - to once beautiful people and places - they want it to get worse- everywhere
Stop them with our votes and by withholding any additional support-
Conservatives that are willing to make commitments to help us- accept no substitute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 09:16 PM
 
872 posts, read 331,809 times
Reputation: 745
Remember-Having the vagrants preventing good people is costing us hundreds of millions of dollars!! The money is making a lot of people rich while little kids can't even use a public swing set or rest room
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,306 posts, read 16,234,022 times
Reputation: 12185
Would you build an ADU on your property to rent out to the homeless?

—-
LA wins $1 million for program to help homeless rent granny flats

http://www.dailynews.com/la-wins-1-m...t-granny-flats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2018, 11:42 PM
 
1,379 posts, read 999,248 times
Reputation: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Would you build an ADU on your property to rent out to the homeless?

—-
LA wins $1 million for program to help homeless rent granny flats

http://www.dailynews.com/la-wins-1-m...t-granny-flats
I saw that article I thought I misread it. I predict zero to five takers for that program, and probably closer to zero. Construction costs are high and getting higher, with a tight labor market and tariffs on materials needed for building. $30K is little compared to what it costs to build an ADU. They'd probably have to offer grants in the neighborhood of $100K to find anyone even think about taking it, as that would at least cover a sizeable portion of construction costs.

The nail in the coffin is the 3 year lease. That is awfully risky to consider for a tenant who has a track record of having trouble keeping up with their bills, or behaving in a way that caused them to be evicted. I can see why the city would hope people would accept it, but I doubt many rational people will. Lastly, while recent polls show it is trailing, if prop 10 passes, you might have even more trouble getting rid of a tenant that you don't like. The LA City Council has already said they would like to expand where rent control would apply if prop 10 passes. If Costa-Hawkins is repealed, there won't be anything in the council's way to making new ADU's fall under rent control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 12:43 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,306 posts, read 16,234,022 times
Reputation: 12185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
I saw that article I thought I misread it. I predict zero to five takers for that program, and probably closer to zero. Construction costs are high and getting higher, with a tight labor market and tariffs on materials needed for building. $30K is little compared to what it costs to build an ADU. They'd probably have to offer grants in the neighborhood of $100K to find anyone even think about taking it, as that would at least cover a sizeable portion of construction costs.

The nail in the coffin is the 3 year lease. That is awfully risky to consider for a tenant who has a track record of having trouble keeping up with their bills, or behaving in a way that caused them to be evicted. I can see why the city would hope people would accept it, but I doubt many rational people will. Lastly, while recent polls show it is trailing, if prop 10 passes, you might have even more trouble getting rid of a tenant that you don't like. The LA City Council has already said they would like to expand where rent control would apply if prop 10 passes. If Costa-Hawkins is repealed, there won't be anything in the council's way to making new ADU's fall under rent control.
Yeah I agree . I don’t see many people taking up on the offer . If people are going to build an ADU they’ll probably rent it on Airbnb to maximize the return .
Construction costs are very high . I saw someone mention paying $150 sq ft to convert a garage to living space recently , sounds high .

Not sure how much sense building an ADU to rent out makes though , seems like it might maybe more sense just to buy a rental property out of state where prices make more sense in terms of cash flow .

True about prop 10 , even if it doesn’t pass it’s not a good thing for investors that the mayor and city supports prop 10 and more rent control . If it doesn’t pass this year they might put it on the ballot again next time .

There is already enough risk and drama owning rental property having government bureaucrats impose more rules and dictating what a private property owner can charge just adds more risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 07:41 AM
 
Location: So Ca
17,070 posts, read 16,025,387 times
Reputation: 14919
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROX View Post
The liberals are so proud of what they have done - to once beautiful people and places - they want it to get worse- everywhere
You are so pathetically misinformed, it's astounding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Laguna Niguel, Orange County CA
9,809 posts, read 8,157,975 times
Reputation: 7912
They did this over the span of decades, mostly through the courts. For example, they went after vagrancy laws and later graduated to enjoining cities from using any law to arrest their homeless pawns. Then the mental institution changes. So here we are, Calcutta, just as they wanted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Laguna Niguel, Orange County CA
9,809 posts, read 8,157,975 times
Reputation: 7912
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyw90 View Post
You nasty racist f*ck. What the hell does Obama have to do with homelessness in California?!
It’s high time to stand up and call out these emboldened racists and make them slink back into their holes! SMDH at the damage OUR RACIST AF, corrupt ‘president’ has done in giving voice and license to open racism. We’re seeing the effects on the regular now.
It’s racist to criticize the Great One huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2018, 08:49 AM
 
872 posts, read 331,809 times
Reputation: 745
The ACLU standard used to force the mentally ill and many into the streets " harm to yourself and/or others" apparently no longer applies to excon vagrants and the mentally ill IF they are high, and/or hunting for drug money. Th elderly are easy prey of course...
Is the LA times misinformed?
DNA, luck lead to arrest of transient in slaying of elderly man in his home - Los Angeles Times
Let's hear it!! The current leadership's plans for the "homeless"... HIGH AND OUTSIDE!!!
More awful senseless murder: friends, families, communities devastated.. .totally preventable...but ahhhh the big money is rolling in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top