U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2018, 09:16 AM

33,183 posts, read 15,072,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Yeah, it was EXACTLY as you described. You'd see one homeless person every six city blocks. Now, in some places, you'll see six or more homeless people in one block. And those little enclaves with tents, chairs, couches, etc. are a new thing within the past few years. What's next...bath tubs and jacuzzis set up on the sidewalks as well? Or perhaps big screen televisions with surround sound set up on the sidewalk so they can do full-on bum parties for watching sports games and stuff?

It's because housing was cheaper. That's not a very glamorous answer, nor is it the one you probably wanted to hear but it's the truth. Five years ago you could rent a motel room in West Sacramento for $100-$125 a week. Two people could share a room for $50-$60 a week each. Most people except for the most seriously mentally ill can find a way to come up with that much money. But those nasty bed bug infested rooms now rent for a minimum of $60 a night. The same thing happened in Reno during the past few years and I'm pretty sure it's happened in LA as well.

I'm not saying that this is a situation that any of us had any control over, motel owners charge what people will pay as is their right. But it needs to be acknowledged that it definitely contributes to the number of homeless on the streets. And to make it worse, the places that were littered with cheap motels or hotels are experiencing gentrification so that source of housing is rapidly disappearing. I've always wondered why Cities don't do what Chicago does and require that before an old hotel or motel is demolished the City is given a chance to buy or lease it, rehab it and use it for housing for low income people or the homeless. It wouldn't have to be free housing, you could rent the rooms to people who get SSI, a Veterans check or SSDI and charge them 30-40% of their income to offset the cost to the City. It would definitely get some people off the streets or at least keep them from ending up homeless.

You want to hear a stupid solution to homelessness? In Sacramento the homeless have to jump through dozens of hoops to even be considered for housing assistance, usually that involves participation in rehab services, mental health treatment, etc and can take more than a year. When they complete that they get in line for what's called "rapid rehousing". That program pays their rent in an apartment for 6 months, but after that they are responsible for the entire rent, and the rent is usually $1000-$1300 a month. I'm not sure how many homeless people even the ones who dot all the i's and cross all the t's are supposed to be able to pay that kind of rent in 6 months. The county never publishes figures on how many people are able to remain in housing after it goes to market rate so my guess is that no one does, it's just a 6 month respite from sleeping on the street. I don't want to go off topic too much here, but those 'rapid rehousing' vouchers are also given to families who have lost their kids to CPS because they were homeless, the big joke is that while they get the kids back while housed CPS comes and takes them again when their voucher expires and they haven't found another place to live.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 11-02-2018 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 11:38 AM

9,809 posts, read 8,162,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's because housing was cheaper. That's not a very glamorous answer, nor is it the one you probably wanted to hear but it's the truth. Five years ago you could rent a motel room in West Sacramento for $100-$125 a week. Two people could share a room for $50-$60 a week each. Most people except for the most seriously mentally ill can find a way to come up with that much money. But those nasty bed bug infested rooms now rent for a minimum of $60 a night. The same thing happened in Reno during the past few years and I'm pretty sure it's happened in LA as well.

I'm not saying that this is a situation that any of us had any control over, motel owners charge what people will pay as is their right. But it needs to be acknowledged that it definitely contributes to the number of homeless on the streets. And to make it worse, the places that were littered with cheap motels or hotels are experiencing gentrification so that source of housing is rapidly disappearing. I've always wondered why Cities don't do what Chicago does and require that before an old hotel or motel is demolished the City is given a chance to buy or lease it, rehab it and use it for housing for low income people or the homeless. It wouldn't have to be free housing, you could rent the rooms to people who get SSI, a Veterans check or SSDI and charge them 30-40% of their income to offset the cost to the City. It would definitely get some people off the streets or at least keep them from ending up homeless.

You want to hear a stupid solution to homelessness? In Sacramento the homeless have to jump through dozens of hoops to even be considered for housing assistance, usually that involves participation in rehab services, mental health treatment, etc and can take more than a year. When they complete that they get in line for what's called "rapid rehousing". That program pays their rent in an apartment for 6 months, but after that they are responsible for the entire rent, and the rent is usually $1000-$1300 a month. I'm not sure how many homeless people even the ones who dot all the i's and cross all the t's are supposed to be able to pay that kind of rent in 6 months. The county never publishes figures on how many people are able to remain in housing after it goes to market rate so my guess is that no one does, it's just a 6 month respite from sleeping on the street. I don't want to go off topic too much here, but those 'rapid rehousing' vouchers are also given to families who have lost their kids to CPS because they were homeless, the big joke is that while they get the kids back while housed CPS comes and takes them again when their voucher expires and they haven't found another place to live.
Oh I see the assistance needs to be permanent; the recipient should never be encouraged or pushed into self sufficiency.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Oh I see the assistance needs to be permanent; the recipient should never be encouraged or pushed into self sufficiency.
Nothing in my post would lead you to make that assumption so you are either trolling or you have problems with reading comprehension, which is it?

Old 11-02-2018, 12:07 PM

14,481 posts, read 8,391,915 times
Quote:
So, OC ... you asked me a question ... in response to me asking you questions which you never answered. I have answered you. I’m beginning to wonder same as 2Sleepy. Are you willing to explain your remarks? Or just throwing inflammatory conspiratorial opinions around about this “right to housing” issue YOU brought up as a danger?

Old 11-02-2018, 02:21 PM

872 posts, read 332,139 times
Quote:

Well this is the rub isn't it? the ever moving goal post with no rules or goals or expectations of success for anyone but those cashing in on this.....The current leadership OBVIOUSLY wants them badly to be outside making a mess and inciting crime to keep the tax money pouring into their bank accounts.... a free housing crime and poverty mess like they have in new york is the big lefty dream...

Permanent assistance? fine- with that you get permanent supervision, away from any possible temptation or opportunity to get loaded or commit crime against a person who refuses to participate in the life drop out program now touted as wonderful and full of free needles by the current leadership. Zero tolerance, strict rules and security for all.

If you behave and want to have REAL freedom, away from the program- then yes we would love to help and will get you out there with education and staged, no frills entry into civilized, non third world existence: time and money well spent.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:42 PM

14,481 posts, read 8,391,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROX View Post
Well this is the rub isn't it? the ever moving goal post with no rules or goals or expectations of success for anyone but those cashing in on this.....The current leadership OBVIOUSLY wants them badly to be outside making a mess and inciting crime to keep the tax money pouring into their bank accounts.... a free housing crime and poverty mess like they have in new york is the big lefty dream...

Permanent assistance? fine- with that you get permanent supervision, away from any possible temptation or opportunity to get loaded or commit crime against a person who refuses to participate in the life drop out program now touted as wonderful and full of free needles by the current leadership. Zero tolerance, strict rules and security for all.

If you behave and want to have REAL freedom, away from the program- then yes we would love to help and will get you out there with education and staged, no frills entry into civilized, non third world existence: time and money well spent.
Meanwhile, back at Qanon headquarters ... social media awards were being prepared ...

Old 11-02-2018, 04:11 PM

10,699 posts, read 10,434,863 times
Quote:
It's because housing was cheaper.

Yes, but once again I ask, why is it some people can come here with merely the cloths on their back, yet they manage to stay off the streets?

Old 11-02-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Yes, but once again I ask, why is it some people can come here with merely the cloths on their back, yet they manage to stay off the streets?
That's kind of an odd question because most homeless people don't come here, they are already here. And I don't know what you mean about 'manage to stay off the streets'? There are homeless people who live in cars, or stay away from places where they might be seen. I give dog food to an old guy who sleeps behind a strip mall with permission from the owner, in the morning he picks up his belongings and cleans up after himself. He spends the rest of the day walking around with his little dog. And there are homeless who live in their cars or in RV's so you're not seeing them in tents on the sidewalk. But I don't really see how any person with nothing more than their clothes could manage to find housing unless maybe they can sleep in mom's garage or pitch a tent in a friends backyard. If you could be more specific maybe I could give you a better answer

Old 11-02-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
So, OC ... you asked me a question ... in response to me asking you questions which you never answered. I have answered you. I’m beginning to wonder same as 2Sleepy. Are you willing to explain your remarks? Or just throwing inflammatory conspiratorial opinions around about this “right to housing” issue YOU brought up as a danger?
I will compile a list for you. In the meantime, showing you that homeless organizations are pushing for the universal right to housing is fact, not conspiracy. I’ve demonstrated as much.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Nothing in my post would lead you to make that assumption so you are either trolling or you have problems with reading comprehension, which is it?
You dislike Sacramento ‘s system of trying to get homeless to be self sufficient. You knew that. That was the topic. That was your post. Therefore I can only conclude that you are either an internet troll or that you have limited reading comprehension issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles