U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2018, 09:13 PM

10,728 posts, read 10,453,451 times

Advertisements

Tulemutt, those of us who live here in L.A. are fed up with the rotten and selfish behavior of a great deal of people living on our streets. Try living here and being right in the middle of the creepy behavior such as aggressive panhandling, indecent exposure and other lude behavior, threats of violence, etc. Every place there's a high concentration of homeless, even in liberal Venice, people are fed up. It's not like we're dealing with boxcar hobos with their stick that has a bandana on the end with food and a change if underwear inside. Rather, it's like L.A. has become an open-air mental institution and we're sick of it because we have enough problems already without feeling we need to carry pepper spray in one and and a taser in the other every time we just want to walk a few blocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 10:06 PM

14,562 posts, read 8,420,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Tulemutt, those of us who live here in L.A. are fed up with the rotten and selfish behavior of a great deal of people living on our streets. Try living here and being right in the middle of the creepy behavior such as aggressive panhandling, indecent exposure and other lude behavior, threats of violence, etc. Every place there's a high concentration of homeless, even in liberal Venice, people are fed up. It's not like we're dealing with boxcar hobos with their stick that has a bandana on the end with food and a change if underwear inside. Rather, it's like L.A. has become an open-air mental institution and we're sick of it because we have enough problems already without feeling we need to carry pepper spray in one and and a taser in the other every time we just want to walk a few blocks.
It is nasty. I completely agree.

But what I asked was: how is homelessness different in LA from San Francisco or San Diego ... ?

What you describe is no different than what I rubbed shoulders with for many years in SF ... or what I walk through daily in San Diego. After my years of dealing with these people and learning about the issues and problems, what do you think I am out of touch with in LA’s homeless problems?

Old 11-03-2018, 10:41 PM

3,512 posts, read 1,941,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
It is nasty. I completely agree.

But what I asked was: how is homelessness different in LA from San Francisco or San Diego ... ?

What you describe is no different than what I rubbed shoulders with for many years in SF ... or what I walk through daily in San Diego. After my years of dealing with these people and learning about the issues and problems, what do you think I am out of touch with in LA’s homeless problems?
I don't know about SF but I go to both LA and SD for work. I was just in Mission Valley Thurs and didn't see one homeless person. LA is vastly different in scale and scope. Exactus is right it's like a open air mental hospital. They are absolutely over run with homeless and thy are fighting for the shelters and soup kitchens. Like any place where you fight or survival crime goes up and fighting goes up. Cops have given up. They don't even respond to most calls. Sanitary conditions have gone to Hell. Trash and litter, tents , debris, pipes needles bottles everywhere. The difference between SD and LA is startling. You should check it out for yourself if you can still drive

Old 11-03-2018, 11:37 PM

33,251 posts, read 15,116,602 times
Quote:
I have no problem with people living in appropriate places. What I have a problem with are people living on sidewalks, in alcoves, etc., and engaging in creepy behavior as discussed previously.
I completely agree with you, I just don't think that either of us have a rational and legal solution to deal with it.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:24 AM

10,728 posts, read 10,453,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I completely agree with you, I just don't think that either of us have a rational and legal solution to deal with it.

My solution is for the LAPD and SMPD to simply enforce the laws already on the books. Back when there were real consequences for bad behavior, we didn't see the sorts of things we see to today, because a few decades ago we didn't tolerate it.

Tulemutt, I do not know how the homeless are in S.D. or S.F., but in L.A. they're out of control and those of us who are law abiding citizens have had enough of them.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:15 AM

33,251 posts, read 15,116,602 times
Quote:
My solution is for the LAPD and SMPD to simply enforce the laws already on the books. Back when there were real consequences for bad behavior, we didn't see the sorts of things we see to today, because a few decades ago we didn't tolerate it.
That's simply not true, there were never any "real consequences" for things like sleeping in public, minor vandalism, aggressive panhandling, and trespassing. Those are the crimes that the most visible homeless are arrested for and they never amounted to not much more than a citation or a few hours in jail.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:

Tulemutt, I do not know how the homeless are in S.D. or S.F., but in L.A. they're out of control and those of us who are law abiding citizens have had enough of them.
Well sir, I DO know how the homeless are in SF and SD. They are exactly the same as in LA. And among them, the chronic homeless population IS deplorable. Absolutely agreed. But there’s never been any disagreement on that.

How do I know they are the same? Because homelessness has the same roots everywhere:
Rising costs of housing
Mental illness
Addictions
Physical illness driving people out of work and into bankruptcy
Domestic violence
Aging out of workforce
Intellectual inability to compete for earnings
Inability to pass landlord and employer background criteria

As for degree of problem? In order of national ranking by % of area population:
1. NYC
2. L.A.
3. Seattle
4. San Diego
7. San Francisco

... with the California cities all notable over NYC (and Wash. D.C., and Chicago ...) due to % of sheltering / not. In California, the weather doesn’t attract homeless from NYC, Chicago, etc. etc ... BUT it does allow for the cities to leave the sheltering issue undeveloped.

Result? ... High street population visibility and public interference.

What you and several others on this board have repeatedly ignored with your insinuations that there is something unique about LA’s homeless that can’t be known unless a person lives in DTLA, is that the roots and nature of the problem are NOT unique to LA. LA is simply a HUGE city/county with rapidly rising housing costs that are displacing LA residents who are at risk for homelessness - whether by fate or their own failures - without sufficient attention to sheltering venues.

As to what to do about it?
1. stop mythologizing through spreading ignorance of the issues

2. stop inciting fear and violence.

3. educate yourself as to the realities through careful, objective research

4. support programs to shelter especially the chronic homeless ... get them off the streets as has been done in NYC and other cities with huge homeless populations that do NOT sprawl their filth and behaviors across public spaces.

Have a nice day

Old 11-04-2018, 11:04 AM

9,809 posts, read 8,175,833 times
Quote:

3. educate yourself as to the realities through careful, objective research
Those of us who post on this topic have no doubt done a lot of reading in this area. No doubt this includes Exitus. It is really rich for you to suggest that one with whom you disagree, educate himself through careful research i.e., reach the same conclusion from the information you would like him to consider.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Those of us who post on this topic have no doubt done a lot of reading in this area. No doubt this includes Exitus. It is really rich for you to suggest that one with whom you disagree, educate himself through careful research i.e., reach the same conclusion from the information you would like him to consider.
“Reading” and educating oneself objectively are not the same thing, OC. And, the information I present is backed up with credible, verifiable data. As contrasted to the rabid opinionations of those I correct. I have challenged you and Exitus, and many others to back up your claims on many issues in the past ... to refute the research I link. Crickets.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:15 AM

9,809 posts, read 8,175,833 times
Quote:
“Reading” and educating oneself objectively are not the same thing, OC. And, the information I present is backed up with credible, verifiable data. As contrasted to the rabid opinionations of those I correct. I have challenged you and Exitus, and many others to back up your claims on many issues in the past ... to refute the research I link. Crickets.
I call BS on this:

Quote:
The information I present is backed up with credible, verifiable data.
As but one example, you refer, over and over, to "chronic homelessness" as if that group were separate and distinct from "drifters/travelers" and "homeless". You therefore convince yourself that these groups exist. Well they do, in your mind. It is all the same brown doo doo and not once does legislation or advocacy distinguish between these groups. All of them are supposed to get the same gift baskets. Coincidentally, I have attended meetings on this subject in OC. All of the Commissioners here distinguish between "homeless" and "homeless persons who refused assistance".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles