Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 08:06 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Let's say I own a McDonald's franchise. Let's say it is worth it to me to pay someone $20 per hour to clean the restrooms. Let's say I have an employee who is willing to clean the restrooms for $8 per hour. Let's say we negotiate and I pay him $15 per hour to clean the restrooms.

I'm better off because I was willing to pay him $20 but only needed to pay him $15.
He's better off because he was willing to do the job for $8 but received $15.

That is the essence of value creation - voluntary transactions in the marketplace for labor that result in both employer & employee (or seller and customer) being better off.
Huh? It makes absolutely no sense that you would pay someone $15 to do a job that they are willing to do for $8 PS the same grunts who flip your burgers clean the restrooms, usually without washing their hands before they return to the kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 08:59 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,857,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Huh? It makes absolutely no sense that you would pay someone $15 to do a job that they are willing to do for $8 PS the same grunts who flip your burgers clean the restrooms, usually without washing their hands before they return to the kitchen.
I realize you never had the opportunity to study Economics.

For a description of why I am correct, read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_surplus

Old 11-11-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I realize you never had the opportunity to study Economics.
For a description of why I am correct, read this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_surplus
You realized wrong. Let me try to explain this again. Unless prohibited from doing so by a minimum wage law no employer in their right mind would offer an employee $15 when the employee is willing to do the work for $8, that's nuts. The job is worth what the employee is willing to do it for. And since when does McDonald's negotiate wages with hourly employees? You fill out the application and if you spelled your name correctly you are given a job at the same pay rate as any other grunt who goes to work there.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:55 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,857,850 times
Quote:
You realized wrong.
Yeah, right.

Quote:
Let me try to explain this again. Unless prohibited from doing so by a minimum wage law no employer in their right mind would offer an employee $15 when the employee is willing to do the work for $8, that's nuts.
<sigh.> I guess in your ALT-SportyandMisty-Is-Always-Wrong-About-All-Topics-Universe, the employer can read the mind of the employee. I'd suggest you study the Economics of Information, and information-based Game Theory, but I don't think that's in your wheelhouse.

If you actually studied economics, you should understand the following chart which explains the situation to you.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Yeah, right.
<sigh.> I guess in your ALT-SportyandMisty-Is-Always-Wrong-About-All-Topics-Universe, the employer can read the mind of the employee. I'd suggest you study the Economics of Information, and information-based Game Theory, but I don't think that's in your wheelhouse.
If you actually studied economics, you should understand the following chart which explains the situation to you.
I don't need a study guide but thanks anyway. My comments were directed at what you posted which is (verbatim)

Quote:
Let's say I own a McDonald's franchise. Let's say it is worth it to me to pay someone $20 per hour to clean the restrooms. Let's say I have an employee who is willing to clean the restrooms for $8 per hour. Let's say we negotiate and I pay him $15 per hour to clean the restrooms.
I'm better off because I was willing to pay him $20 but only needed to pay him $15.
He's better off because he was willing to do the job for $8 but received $15.
That is the essence of value creation - voluntary transactions in the marketplace for labor that result in both employer & employee (or seller and customer) being better off.
So let's walk through your scenario:

I walk into McDonald's and interview for a job. The manager says "what is the least amount you will work for?" And I say "$8 an hour", and the manager says "ok how about $15 an hour?"

Old 11-11-2018, 11:18 AM

276 posts, read 221,713 times
Quote:
You realized wrong. Let me try to explain this again. Unless prohibited from doing so by a minimum wage law no employer in their right mind would offer an employee $15 when the employee is willing to do the work for $8, that's nuts. The job is worth what the employee is willing to do it for. And since when does McDonald's negotiate wages with hourly employees? You fill out the application and if you spelled your name correctly you are given a job at the same pay rate as any other grunt who goes to work there.
McDonalds, yeah. Prime example of why the "great unemployment rates", super duper economy, are such a myth. same as working for Walmart, Costco, Target, Burger King, etc. for bare minimums, with no job security and poor or nonexistent benefits.

When I graduated from college, my first job was at Hewlett-Packard working on fiber optics, an emerging technology. After a few years, I transferred to Hughes Aircraft, when they were HQ at the "Green buildings" in Culver city. (No longer exist, been converted to condos and malls). Those were "real career jobs", good pay, security, great comprehensive benefits for medical and retirement.

Those good jobs allowed me to save for my down payment, build my credit, and buy my first home in Venice beach. Nothing special about me, lots of young people started out this way back in the 70's/80's and got these good career jobs, to build their life.

These days, it seems very, very hard for people to start out like this in today's "great economy". Where are the good jobs like this, at HP or Hughes, that are realistically available for the masses? Who can realistically buy a first home in Venice today on a Walmart salary, esp. if have to pay the rents in the local areas! Back then, I paid $350/mo for a 1BR next to the 405 fwy in West LA, surrounded by Mexicans. But, I could save over $1000/mo on my $28k salary. It worked. So, I would say with great certainty, the economy today is far worse off for average people than 40 years ago. Lot of BS being floated around.

Last edited by skygazer1; 11-11-2018 at 12:19 PM..

Old 11-11-2018, 01:18 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times
Quote:
Yeah, right.

Oh cheese whiz, Sport. What’s next? Fart jokes?

Old 11-11-2018, 02:17 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Quote:
I guess I should put my comments in some context about just how privileged and fortunate I am and how much empathy I lack.
Your story would lead one to believe that you would have developed some empathy. That's the part I don't understand....unless you actually do have it IRL but don't display it here. And, like Mutt, I wonder what you mean about your survival of the fittest belief ("We all make choices, and those choices shape our lives"), given that you've spent so much of your life taking care of members of your family who did not--and do not--fall into that category.

And many of the homeless don't, either. Their families have turned their backs on them, for whatever reasons.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:01 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer1 View Post
McDonalds, yeah. Prime example of why the "great unemployment rates", super duper economy, are such a myth. same as working for Walmart, Costco, Target, Burger King, etc. for bare minimums, with no job security and poor or nonexistent benefits.

When I graduated from college, my first job was at Hewlett-Packard working on fiber optics, an emerging technology. After a few years, I transferred to Hughes Aircraft, when they were HQ at the "Green buildings" in Culver city. (No longer exist, been converted to condos and malls). Those were "real career jobs", good pay, security, great comprehensive benefits for medical and retirement.

Those good jobs allowed me to save for my down payment, build my credit, and buy my first home in Venice beach. Nothing special about me, lots of young people started out this way back in the 70's/80's and got these good career jobs, to build their life.

These days, it seems very, very hard for people to start out like this in today's "great economy". Where are the good jobs like this, at HP or Hughes, that are realistically available for the masses? Who can realistically buy a first home in Venice today on a Walmart salary, esp. if have to pay the rents in the local areas! Back then, I paid $350/mo for a 1BR next to the 405 fwy in West LA, surrounded by Mexicans. But, I could save over $1000/mo on my $28k salary. It worked. So, I would say with great certainty, the economy today is far worse off for average people than 40 years ago. Lot of BS being floated around.
Not sure i’d lump Costco in with Burger King . Costco actually pays pretty decent for retail and offer very good benefits . There has been a shift though and any college degree isn’t what it once was . Now I’m guessing you’d need some specialized degree .
More people going to college and a lot more colleges out there .
Housing in L.A and other cities has gone through the roof of course. Median home price in Venice now is nearly $2 million .
This is why I don’t see these coastal cities being a great choice for most younger people starting out .

Old 11-12-2018, 07:27 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Having lived in Venice back when Abbott Kinney was Washington Blvd, I can only imagine what it would be like to have homeless housing going up across the street from your home. This father's perspective is worth listening to, though.

"I live on Sunset Avenue in Venice, right across the street from three of the most contested empty acres in the city. You might have read about it: A couple of weeks ago at a town hall meeting, dozens of angry Venetians shouted down Mayor Eric Garcetti and Councilman Mike Bonin. Some in my neighborhood really don’t want the city to build transitional housing for the homeless on those 3 acres. I get their reasons, but I can’t join them. My daughter won’t let me."

How I learned to love homeless housing in my neighborhood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles