U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-31-2019, 09:00 PM
 
Location: So Ca
17,070 posts, read 16,025,387 times
Reputation: 14914

Advertisements

"Living in your car generally means living under cover. Consider Octavio Solorio, an actor who spent years cobbling together a living from TV and film jobs, voice-over work and bookkeeping, but who finally found that he could no longer afford to pay for his apartment in Chatsworth. In September, his Volkswagen Passat became his home. He considered parking in a lot at Kaiser Permanente but a guard there patrolled up and down. He looked for dark streets. He dressed in black and covered himself with a dark blanket, hoping, once he leaned back in the seat, he would disappear into the darkness of the car and no one outside would notice him. At 5 a.m. each day, he would wake up and move his car.

There are about 15,700 people in Los Angeles County living in vehicles, according to the 2018 homeless count, about 8,900 of them in the city of L.A."


If you live in a car, finding a parking spot should be easier than finding an apartment: https://www.latimes.com/opinion/edit...131-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2019, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
33,148 posts, read 15,057,211 times
Reputation: 23896
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Living in your car generally means living under cover. Consider Octavio Solorio, an actor who spent years cobbling together a living from TV and film jobs, voice-over work and bookkeeping, but who finally found that he could no longer afford to pay for his apartment in Chatsworth. In September, his Volkswagen Passat became his home. He considered parking in a lot at Kaiser Permanente but a guard there patrolled up and down. He looked for dark streets. He dressed in black and covered himself with a dark blanket, hoping, once he leaned back in the seat, he would disappear into the darkness of the car and no one outside would notice him. At 5 a.m. each day, he would wake up and move his car.

There are about 15,700 people in Los Angeles County living in vehicles, according to the 2018 homeless count, about 8,900 of them in the city of L.A."


If you live in a car, finding a parking spot should be easier than finding an apartment: https://www.latimes.com/opinion/edit...131-story.html
It's a huge problem all over the state. When we were moving to Sac we stayed in a motel until escrow closed. Every night an elderly woman would pull into the parking lot get in the back seat and go to sleep. I asked the manager if he was aware of it and he said that he told her she could park there, that he would watch out for her and she could come inside and use the bathroom in the lobby and get coffee and pastries in the morning. I started thinking about it and wondered if this is really what we have become? A society so uncaring that we can't even create safe parking lots for families and the elderly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2019, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,306 posts, read 16,234,022 times
Reputation: 12185
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Living in your car generally means living under cover. Consider Octavio Solorio, an actor who spent years cobbling together a living from TV and film jobs, voice-over work and bookkeeping, but who finally found that he could no longer afford to pay for his apartment in Chatsworth. In September, his Volkswagen Passat became his home. He considered parking in a lot at Kaiser Permanente but a guard there patrolled up and down. He looked for dark streets. He dressed in black and covered himself with a dark blanket, hoping, once he leaned back in the seat, he would disappear into the darkness of the car and no one outside would notice him. At 5 a.m. each day, he would wake up and move his car.

There are about 15,700 people in Los Angeles County living in vehicles, according to the 2018 homeless count, about 8,900 of them in the city of L.A."


If you live in a car, finding a parking spot should be easier than finding an apartment: https://www.latimes.com/opinion/edit...131-story.html
So what is the solution ? Let everyone from the country and world move to L.A and let them live in their cars or broken down rvs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2019, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
25,306 posts, read 16,234,022 times
Reputation: 12185
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's a huge problem all over the state. When we were moving to Sac we stayed in a motel until escrow closed. Every night an elderly woman would pull into the parking lot get in the back seat and go to sleep. I asked the manager if he was aware of it and he said that he told her she could park there, that he would watch out for her and she could come inside and use the bathroom in the lobby and get coffee and pastries in the morning. I started thinking about it and wondered if this is really what we have become? A society so uncaring that we can't even create safe parking lots for families and the elderly?
Maybe it’s due to space and resources being limited rather than unlimited? A safe lot would require security and guards too .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2019, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
33,148 posts, read 15,057,211 times
Reputation: 23896
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Maybe it’s due to space and resources being limited rather than unlimited? A safe lot would require security and guards too .
Space and resources are not unlimited anywhere but somehow Santa Barbara has been providing safe parking since 2004. They currently have 23 repurposed parking lots used for safe parking for the homeless.

https://www.keyt.com/news/santa-barb...sure/791631441
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2019, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
33,148 posts, read 15,057,211 times
Reputation: 23896
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
So what is the solution ? Let everyone from the country and world move to L.A and let them live in their cars or broken down rvs?
If that were true, why haven't the homeless hordes all moved to Santa Barbara, they've had these parking lots for 15 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2019, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Orange County... Arizona bound
3,494 posts, read 1,929,546 times
Reputation: 4859
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's a huge problem all over the state. When we were moving to Sac we stayed in a motel until escrow closed. Every night an elderly woman would pull into the parking lot get in the back seat and go to sleep. I asked the manager if he was aware of it and he said that he told her she could park there, that he would watch out for her and she could come inside and use the bathroom in the lobby and get coffee and pastries in the morning. I started thinking about it and wondered if this is really what we have become? A society so uncaring that we can't even create safe parking lots for families and the elderly?
Why did you rat her out? That wasn't very nice or compassionate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2019, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
33,148 posts, read 15,057,211 times
Reputation: 23896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Why did you rat her out? That wasn't very nice or compassionate
I wasn't ratting her out, if there was a problem with her staying there I was going to find her a place to stay. It was pretty clear the manager knew it anyway, why else would she be sitting in the breakfast room every day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2019, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Laguna Niguel, Orange County CA
9,809 posts, read 8,157,975 times
Reputation: 7912
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
So what is the solution ? Let everyone from the country and world move to L.A and let them live in their cars or broken down rvs?
But homeless do not migrate or so I was “educated” on here by an SJW, yes even homeless with wheels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2019, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
33,148 posts, read 15,057,211 times
Reputation: 23896
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
But homeless do not migrate or so I was “educated” on here by an SJW, yes even homeless with wheels.
well if they did then you would expect Santa Barbara to have all of the homeless who have cars or RV's from everywhere in the world, right? Isn't that what Jm claimed would happen if LA created safe parking lots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top