Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 04:14 PM

138 posts, read 118,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
5816 posts in this thread and you jump in with that? Being homeless is not against the law, everything you have said is predicated upon being able to arrest people simply for the fact that they don't have a place to live.
Then there is no problem with homelessness. Close the thread.

Otherwise, if you don't want vagrants in your city (and you don't want to spend gillions of dollars) you have three choices like I mentioned. So, get TOUGH or accept vagrancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 04:16 PM

138 posts, read 118,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What is it that you don't understand about my response to that poster? The poster said we should arrest all of the homeless. I addressed that and told him that being homeless is not a crime. I don't want to talk about how many crimes the homeless do or do not commit. I hope you are successful in finding someone to rehash this junk once again, but it won't be me.
No, that's not what I wrote. I wrote, give them three choices: stop being homeless (like 99.999% of Americans are), or volunteer for work camps, or get arrested for [something].

Old 02-17-2019, 05:41 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Even at the Daytona 500 they're having problems with the homeless. They're doing something called "bum drafting" which is causing wrecks.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:43 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBloodedWhiteMale View Post
No, that's not what I wrote. I wrote, give them three choices: stop being homeless (like 99.999% of Americans are), or volunteer for work camps, or get arrested for [something].
Lol. You clearly have no grasp of homelessness.

1. It’s not illegal

2. Between 8% and 15% (depending on which city surveyed) are already working ... just don’t earn enough to pay rents and all other expenses

3. 75% on average (again depending on which city) are already engaged in finding work/housing and will be rehoused within a year ... average time homeless about 2 months.

4. About 25% are chronically homeless ... most of whom are severely mentally ill or lost to addictions.

5. Roughly 10% fall in the category of willfully homeless, known in the field as transients. Most of these are the cases you seem to have in mind. And they don’t give a rip what you demand of them. They couldn’t care less if you arrest them either. And what would you arrest them for? Authorities have to observe them in criminal acts in order to cart them off to jail ... mostly to be released within a day by standards of law.

The idea that you could force unwilling to work persons to your labor suggestions is hugely laughable. Are you planning to beat them into submission? It is not constitutionally legal to round people up without criminal cause ... nor to impose involuntary holds, processing, detainments ... nor to impose involuntary labor (that went out with the end of the Civil War, remember?)

And if your next proposal is to change those laws, ya might want to consider that those laws are in place to protect YOUR freedom, not specifically to shield the homeless.

But, again most importantly, you don’t appear to have the slightest grasp of who are the homeless. Why not consider educating yourself first, before proposing solutions to problems you don’t understand?

Old 02-17-2019, 06:27 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Only 10% fall in the category of willfully homeless. Yeah, uh huh. Sampling the homeless is so accurate and the ones who perform the sampling are not at all biased; the homeless are always truthful and they never migrate.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Only 10% fall in the category of willfully homeless. Yeah, uh huh. Sampling the homeless is so accurate and the ones who perform the sampling are not at all biased; the homeless are always truthful and they never migrate.
I’m sure we’ll all be here when you are ready to actually disprove the social science with something other than sarcasm.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
You can even tell people on this forum that when the O.C. County Sheriff or LAPD transient units offer people who live on the streets help, 90% of them refuse it; nevertheless, certain people on this forum will insist that the LEO's are lying and that a lack of housing, climate change, palm trees, or some other factor is causing most homeless people to be homeless against their will.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
You can even tell people on this forum that when the O.C. County Sheriff or LAPD transient units offer people who live on the streets help, 90% of them refuse it; nevertheless, certain people on this forum will insist that the LEO's are lying and that a lack of housing, climate change, palm trees, or some other factor is causing most homeless people to be homeless against their will.
You misrepresent. The reasons for homelessness are many ... some include willfulness. And the reasons for homeless turning down “help” offers are also many ... most specifically when what is offered is not as safe in one way or another as being on the street, for example.

But all this has been well explained to you many times and you refuse to accept it ... speaking of refusing what is offered.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You misrepresent. The reasons for homelessness are many ... some include willfulness. And the reasons for homeless turning down “help” offers are also many ... most specifically when what is offered is not as safe in one way or another as being on the street, for example.

But all this has been well explained to you many times and you refuse to accept it ... speaking of refusing what is offered.

I never accept false information, such as claims that homeless people in L.A. are no more prone to committing aggravated assaults than people who are not homeless, despite data from the LAPD that indicates quite the contrary.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:55 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I never accept false information, such as claims that homeless people in L.A. are no more prone to committing aggravated assaults than people who are not homeless, despite data from the LAPD that indicates quite the contrary.
Gotta love people that act like they just care about facts and data . Until the facts and data don’t fit their agenda .

And we know the real numbers are much worse due to the fact that a lot of crime never gets reported .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles