Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 05:18 PM

138 posts, read 118,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Then what about the increase in the number of homeless during the past year in NYC, Seattle, San Diego, Washington, D.C., Boston, and Las Vegas? Where would you like to send them?

Yes, and that works so well already, with people who have homes. Including people with huge financial resources. Just say no, right?

You said that you have an excellent grasp on this problem?
Most of those places are also expensive. But still, most of the country has much cheaper housing, rooms for rent etc, 99.99% of Americans are making it so can these vagrants.
Like I wrote: they can either stop being vagrants OR accept room and board in return for work and sobriety OR get arrested for {something} and be put to work.

Once these people are in a camp or prison, they'll have significantly less access to drugs. Either they want to stop or they don't. My advice to "Just Stop" is 100% effective. It's the ONLY way that works. Either STOP or don't stop. It is done all the time; millions of people have already done it.

Something wrong with working? Either stop being vagrants OR accept room and board in return for work and sobriety OR get arrested and be put to work. What exactly is wrong about that?

Do you have a better suggestion?

Last edited by FullBloodedWhiteMale; 02-18-2019 at 05:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 05:27 PM

138 posts, read 118,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
LAPD is not enforcing those municipal codes because they have been rendered unconstitutional by a 9th circuit ruling in September of 2018.
Well, we wouldn't want to violate the vagrants' rights would we? OK, then everyone is happy. Vagrants with all their rights. My solution is only applicable to problems. If vagrants aren't a problem, then no solution is needed. Let them sleep on the sidewalk. Not my problem. However, if they ever do end up in my community, I won't worry about their rights. I'll take action if the police don't. Guerrilla tactics: Spray water on them on cold nights, steal their stuff, encourage teenagers to harass them, throw dog poop in their bedding. They'll leave. Citizens in communities all over the world do this all the time and less wussy local governments than Los Angeles put spikes on potential sleeping surfaces, play bagpipe music, etc.

What's your suggestion?

Old 02-18-2019, 06:39 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well thanks so much for the shout out and love, jm!

First off, I want to remember to thank you, Exitus especially, for your on-going rebuttals that so easily perpetuate the continuing education on the facts and realities of homelessness in LA that I, and others, bring to those readers interested to learn. You guys are the best ... really providing a community service!

Now, that acknowledged, appreciatively ... for today’s next elucidation:

1. Your “data” from the LAPD is speciously selected and presented without the full contex of quotes from the department representatives ... who report that the uptick in the stats is due “increased reporting” of crimes and assaults, and including several other factors. “Increased reporting” is not the same as “increase in crimes”. As jm likes to say, there’s been a certain amount of unreported crime ... thus, now, with the increased reporting protocols LAPD is announcing, the stats are predictably better reflecting realities that have existed a long time ... not necessarily increases. LAPD also acknowledged that the descriptor “homeless” is subjective in numerous reports since the perpetrators are often not apprehended. So, another unknown. Furthermore, the LAPD noted that overall crime, including violent crime, is down in the city and it is “reporting” of homeless on homeless viloence” that has increased.

As I said, thanks for the opportunity to once again bring this to light.

2. Your protests that you have your “own data” are subject to question as you have not reported ANY data whatsoever. All you have ever reported are instances of crime reports plus anecdotes. If you have actual, verifiable “data” collected, you should definitely contribute that in addition to what you brought from the LAPD that has now been more fully qualified (since you omitted the full LAPD reporting).

3. Your protests that contributors to this thread who do not live in LA are not capable of accurate representations of related LA situations is nonsense in multiple ways:

a.) the information you try to refute is brought by persons who include several from LA

b.) the information you refute is furthermore not originated by any of us, but rather mostly by social science professionals who live and work in LA

c.) the information is also brought to light by persons living in adjacent counties which experience also some of the highest rates of homelessness in the nation ... and, in fact, one person in particular lives in a neighborhood of the 2nd highest concentration of homeless in an adjacent city nationally infamous for its degrees of homeless problems.

4. Your protests also remind readers that you STILL have never answered the question of “in what ways are LA’s homeless unique to LA and unlike homeless in other cities such as San Diego and San Francisco?” In light of a couple posts just prior to this one, in which identical myths are shown to circulate about numerous cities with massive homeless problems, this unanswered question looms larger and larger ... while your avoidance speaks louder and louder of your lack of understanding of homelessness.
False.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah it just adds insult to injury . If the media wanted to they could focus on the victims that have been assaulted by these homeless crazies .

Then I wonder if the public would be so sympathetic.

How often do we hear anything about the victims behind the statistics? Hardly ever . Maybe if they are killed but then the media still downplays that the killer was homeless .
Indeed. BTW, did you hear John Koebel today? He was talking about those fake news L.A. Times articles that various posters in this thread have quoted, that blames everything EXCEPT the homeless in DTLA for the typhus outbreak. They even goes so far as to blame the city hall employees for bringing their lunches to work. What a joke, and how pathetic it is that people who don't even live here read these articles and think they know what they're talking about when they attempt to debate people like us.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:02 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Indeed. BTW, did you hear John Koebel today? He was talking about those fake news L.A. Times articles that various posters in this thread have quoted, that blames everything EXCEPT the homeless in DTLA for the typhus outbreak. They even goes so far as to blame the city hall employees for bringing their lunches to work. What a joke, and how pathetic it is that people who don't even live here read these articles and think they know what they're talking about when they attempt to debate people like us.
No I didn’t listen today . But I have seen some of those article headlines like “why are the homeless being blamed for the typhus outbreak ?”

It’s truly an alternate reality they live in .

Old 02-18-2019, 07:04 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
False.
If we could post images or gifs in here , the Donald Trump “Wrong!” one would perfect here .

Old 02-18-2019, 07:08 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBloodedWhiteMale View Post
Well, we wouldn't want to violate the vagrants' rights would we? OK, then everyone is happy. Vagrants with all their rights. My solution is only applicable to problems. If vagrants aren't a problem, then no solution is needed. Let them sleep on the sidewalk. Not my problem. However, if they ever do end up in my community, I won't worry about their rights. I'll take action if the police don't. Guerrilla tactics: Spray water on them on cold nights, steal their stuff, encourage teenagers to harass them, throw dog poop in their bedding. They'll leave. Citizens in communities all over the world do this all the time and less wussy local governments than Los Angeles put spikes on potential sleeping surfaces, play bagpipe music, etc.

What's your suggestion?
No, we don't want to violate the vagrant's rights when there is a federal court order prohibiting it, do you know how stupid that would be? The feds don't like it when their orders are violated, it could result in sanctions against the city or the feds could put the local police dept. under receivership and supervise the operation to make sure they don't violate another court order.

But why encourage teenagers to harass the homeless? You're a tough guy right? So man up and do it yourself!

Old 02-18-2019, 07:30 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Most of those places are also expensive. But still, most of the country has much cheaper housing, rooms for rent etc
So they're homeless here, and we're going to tell them to find housing in a less expensive state? Suggest ways that they would have the financial, emotional or physical resources to do this.

Quote:
99.99% of Americans are making it so can these vagrants.
I believe your numbers are way off.

Quote:
Once these people are in a camp or prison, they'll have significantly less access to drugs.
Camps or prisons? Do you know that they cannot just be rounded up like cattle?

Quote:
Either they want to stop or they don't. My advice to "Just Stop" is 100% effective. It's the ONLY way that works.
How is it that addiction kills thousands of Americans--who have homes--every day?

Quote:
Something wrong with working?
It's difficult to work when you're sleeping on a sidewalk all night.

Quote:
Do you have a better suggestion?
Sure; scroll back. Plenty of us have posted suggestions, starting with finding temporary housing for those living on our streets.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
If we could post images or gifs in here , the Donald Trump “Wrong!” one would perfect here .
Funny you say that -- I just uploaded an image today that's perfect for the fake news posters in this thread. Stay tuned.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, we don't want to violate the vagrant's rights when there is a federal court order prohibiting it, do you know how stupid that would be?
You see, sweetheart, the problem with you people is that you're entirely engrossed in the rights of the homeless, but you're ignoring the rights of people who are victims of their behavior, including but not limited to harassment, aggravated assault, sex crimes against children, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles