Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 10:40 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Well said, Mutt! (Why does everyone need to turn these issues into political ones?)
Demagoguery makes life easy for some people, everything is "us vs them". Whether it's about race, sex, politics or religion, it allows one to embrace being part of a group and feeling morally superior to 'them' If a demagogue makes a mistake, they don't need to accept responsibility, it's their fault ...most even summarily dismiss the possibility of allowing "them" to express an opinion that differs from theirs.

I'm sure it makes some people feel less miserable if they can deflect the reasons for their own failures on a group of people who they in all likelihood know very little about, and if it was harmless, it would simply be annoying but it's not..it's dangerous, and throughout history that kind of thinking has led to needless wars and genocide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 10:43 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
2sleepy I wonder what you think about the homeless women being raped on the streets .
Would you consider rape a serious crime ? Do you think it’s non homeless doing the raping ?

Old 02-25-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
2sleepy I wonder what you think about the homeless women being raped on the streets .
Would you consider rape a serious crime ? Do you think it’s non homeless doing the raping ?
Strange question there...Of course it's a serious crime and if they apprehend the perpetrator it's prosecuted. As far as how do I feel about it? I've worked with homeless and poor women for decades and have fought hard to get them safe sleeping places, that should tell you how I feel about it. But one thing to keep in mind, not all homeless women who are raped are assaulted by homeless men.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Strange question there...Of course it's a serious crime and if they apprehend the perpetrator it's prosecuted. As far as how do I feel about it? I've worked with homeless and poor women for decades and have fought hard to get them safe sleeping places, that should tell you how I feel about it. But one thing to keep in mind, not all homeless women who are raped are assaulted by homeless men.
Not all maybe , but wouldn’t you say the majority of the men doing the raping are homeless as well?

Old 02-25-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Not all maybe , but wouldn’t you say the majority of the men doing the raping are homeless as well?
I don't know and neither do you. But what's the difference, is a homeless perpetrator worse than any other man who would rape someone? Or is this justification for the mandatory round em up and ship em to camps in the Antelope Valley idea, and if so what would happen to women in your camps?

Old 02-25-2018, 11:52 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
1979 was not the mid-seventies. I know very well when Santa Monica adopted rent control (an idiotic decision), not long after Los Angeles did.

There were different types of answering machines available in the late seventies. You could get a basic answering machine for $20 at Radio Shack. Obviously more elaborate ones were more expensive.

"The high life?" If nobody you knew had an answering machine maybe you were shooting your money into your arm
In 1975 the minimum wage was $2.10. So to put it in perspective (where your nonchalant statement about its only $20 is really unfair) a $20 answering machine required 10 hours of work from a minimum wage person to purchase. That’s 25% of their gross income.
That would be like buying a answering machine today for $80 to $120 bucks (depend8ng on the minimum wage scale)

Old 02-25-2018, 05:06 PM

567 posts, read 431,336 times
Default LA homeless crisis "A National Disgrace"

Today the LA Times ran a full page editorial calling the homeless problem in LA "A National Disgrace." It's about time some one called it what it really is. We all see it, we can't hide from it, yet nothing is being done. And while the crisis continues to unfold Mayor Garcetti, seeking higher office, is making speeches in South Carolina. Just shameful.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
Today the LA Times ran a full page editorial calling the homeless problem in LA "A National Disgrace." It's about time some one called it what it really is. We all see it, we can't hide from it, yet nothing is being done. And while the crisis continues to unfold Mayor Garcetti, seeking higher office, is making speeches in South Carolina. Just shameful.
Yet the L.A Times has refused to criticize the absolute failure of the local politicians.

They can’t blame the homeless situation on “Trump” although I’m sure they’ll try to .

It seems Garcetti is trying to play up identity politics more than anything .

“I’m half Mexican half Jewish .. I’m a kosher burrito .. vote for me ! Because diversity ..””

Old 02-25-2018, 05:22 PM

567 posts, read 431,336 times
Quote:
Yet the L.A Times has refused to criticize the absolute failure of the local politicians.

They can’t blame the homeless situation on “Trump” although I’m sure they’ll try to .

It seems Garcetti is trying to play up identity politics more than anything .

“I’m half Mexican half Jewish .. I’m a kosher burrito .. vote for me ! Because diversity ..””
The LA Times editorial made it clear local politicians can no longer sit back as the crisis continues. They also pointed out Mayor Garcetti's " legacy and political future will rise or fall on how he handles this colossal urban cirses."

Old 02-25-2018, 05:24 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
The LA Times editorial made it clear local politicians can no longer sit back as the crisis continues. They also pointed out Mayor Garcetti's " legacy and political future will rise or fall on how he handles this colossal urban cirses."
Homeless policies = Garcetti's ruined legacy
CAHSR = Brown's ruined legacy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles