Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2019, 10:18 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
No one said that "things are the same everywhere."

Obviously the city of Pasadena, for example, deals with the homeless living on the streets in a different way than the homeless population is dealt with in, say, downtown L.A. However, the homeless THEMSELVES are obviously not that different from one city to the next, as is evidenced by the number of people who have posted on this forum who have either BEEN homeless, dealt with the homeless here, or dealt with the homeless in other cities.
How are they the same if their behavior is totally different ?...

Fact is that the homeless in places like Burbank , Glendale , Pasadena etc know they can’t behave like they do in L.A it’s just not accepted there .

Same thing in neighboring communities like Simi Valley , Thousand Oaks , the list goes on .. have you ever seen homeless tents in those areas ? Or similar issues ?

Last edited by jm1982; 03-30-2019 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 10:20 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I’m not aware of any “happy hobo” stereotypes being promoted in this (or any other) thread.

Yes, you’ve “stated” your assault stat here many times. And an equal number of times it has been dissected, filleted, cooked and served for proper accuracy, using actual stats and quotes from the respective agencies reporting, dealing with, and enforcing crime ... to contradiction of your fearmongering intent. The stat refers to an increase in reporting ... and, according to local law enforcement, that does not mean an increase in actual crime. Further, the stat includes homeless on homeless crime, which does run quite high ... and is not the harbinger of growing threat to western civilization you hope to portray. And, further further, national crime reporting stats rank California - and So. California specifically - as second only to Florida in reported cases of assault against homeless by non-homeless.

And no, not all 10,000,000 Angelinos have had your anecdotally recounted (and recounted and recounted and recounted and recounted and recounted ..... ad nauseum) experiences with the local homeless. In fact, a number of Angelinos have directly refuted you on that claim in this thread.
On post 6253 you said all you get from SD homeless is a grin and a howdy. That sounds like a happy hobo to me.... Go to skid row or Venice see how many howdys you get and report back. Oh yea you refuse to go to those unpleasant areas where Angelenos have to try and live a normal life.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:09 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
On post 6253 you said all you get from SD homeless is a grin and a howdy. That sounds like a happy hobo to me.... Go to skid row or Venice see how many howdys you get and report back. Oh yea you refuse to go to those unpleasant areas where Angelenos have to try and live a normal life.
Yes. All I get from homeless ANYWHERE are grins and howdys - or nothing. I have never been accosted or threatened or hustled, ANYWHERE. And I’ve been to Venice. More than once. Or twice ... though I probably won’t go there many more times because? I have no reason to and the area never has appealed to me. However, I live in San Diego’s 2nd most densely homeless-populated district. You know, San Diego, right? ... the nation’s 4th worst city for homelessness? After LA at 2nd and Seattle at 3rd?

I’ve never disputed that homeless have become a blight in some areas. It’s a nasty business, which is part of the reason I pitch in to do a little part of helping out.

What I absolutely dispute is malicious hyperbole such as: [all (10,000,000) Angelinos] are “under siege by mentally deranged people who walk our streets and engage in a variety of anti-social behaviors,” ...

Old 03-30-2019, 11:16 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Fact is that the homeless in places like Burbank , Glendale , Pasadena etc know they can’t behave like they do in L.A it’s just not accepted there .

Same thing in neighboring communities like Simi Valley , Thousand Oaks , the list goes on .. have you ever seen homeless tents in those areas ? Or similar issues ?
You are describing the difference between communities - not homelesss persons. The homeless in San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle, Portland, Washington DC, Boston ... et al big cities, all exhibit the same problems and behaviors, other than the eastern cities have more sheltering due to weather and settled law.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:55 AM

8,336 posts, read 2,965,021 times
Haha.....only in California will you hear people talking about how the homeless in their (Ca.) city behaves better than the homeless in your (Ca.) city. It's good to laugh.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:44 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
There is even a huge difference between the city of L.A and the neighboring cities like Burbank , Pasadena and Glendale so frankly that is just not accurate to say things are the same everywhere .

They have actual laws and standard and enforce them .. unlike the city of L.A
Indeed. I just recently began a thread about Glendale and how much nicer it looks than West L.A., one of the most glaring differences being that there are no mentally deranged street people wandering about and harassing people.

BTW, jm, notice how nobody wanted to comment about that excerpt from the LAPD regarding fist fights at a Brentwood coffee house or people stealing from its cabinets in the middle of the night? What people who do not live here fail to acknowledge is how our homeless street people engage in crazier and more so criminal behavior than the "happy hobo" types found outside of L.A.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:

Exactly. We've stated this repeatedly in this thread, yet people who do not live here still claim otherwise.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:52 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Exactly. We've stated this repeatedly in this thread, yet people who do not live here still claim otherwise.
People who don't live in Brentwood, you mean? You still seem to want to allow only posters in YOUR area of Los Angeles to post on this thread.

And there's no indication that there are "more mentally deranged street people wandering about and harassing people" in L.A. than there are in any other cities in California. There may be more homeless people in certain cities here (e.g. North Hollywood, Lancaster, Inglewood, Pacoima) than others (Westlake, South Central, Westchester/Playa del Rey)--according to the link, below--but there is no data that shows that they are more violent.

A 2018 Snapshot of Homelessness in Los Angeles County:
https://www.kcet.org/shows/city-risi...angeles-county

Old 03-31-2019, 09:06 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
“Obviously the city of Pasadena, for example, deals with the homeless living on the streets in a different way”

Good point CA4NOW , you’ve pointed out the core of the issue .

That’s what it all comes down to , policy and enforcement . Clearly it’s failed here in L.A , while other cities have figured a way to keep their cities decent while also having nice weather and high prices and all these other excuses people make for why there is such a big homeless problem .

Old 03-31-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
People who don't live in Brentwood, you mean? You still seem to want to allow only posters in YOUR area of Los Angeles to post on this thread.

And there's no indication that there are "more mentally deranged street people wandering about and harassing people" in L.A. than there are in any other cities in California. There may be more homeless people in certain cities here (e.g. North Hollywood, Lancaster, Inglewood, Pacoima) than others (Westlake, South Central, Westchester/Playa del Rey)--according to the link, below--but there is no data that shows that they are more violent.

A 2018 Snapshot of Homelessness in Los Angeles County:
https://www.kcet.org/shows/city-risi...angeles-county
I've been all over this city and then some, which can be said of all of us who live here. And there is indeed an indication that we have a bigger problem with homeless violence than in other cities, which is something we've discussed previously. In Burbank, Glendale, El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, et al, you won't see homeless people acting the way they do in L.A. And everybody who lives here and posts in this thread will back me up on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles