Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2019, 09:45 AM

4,505 posts, read 1,861,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
1. Illegals are NOT any statistically significant rental demographic in any of the cities I mentioned as leading centers of homelessness other than California ...

2. Illegals, even in California, are not often, if ever, competitors for even moderate priced units, let alone market drivers.

3. I said nothing about “needing illegals” (I am quite anti-immigration, for one thing).

4. Fact is: we can’t - and won’t - deport a “million illegals” from any single market ... good point you raised.

5. Those cheap, slumlord-level rentals, where crackheads and illegals 10 to a room “compete” for rent, are not market drivers, and are becoming rapidly redeveloped in urban centers experiencing any boom growth.

6. And finally, as I pointed out before: illegals are BY DEFINITION not a legitimate component of the market. Thus it is not politicians limiting the market if illegals are removed ... it is a factor of appropriate law enforcement.

Your argument is: a mirage.
Where do the illegals live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 09:45 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,201 times
Quote:
Successful business. Politicians don’t set rental rates.
Do you think dem policy rules and laws have any correlation to the homeless in the states who are heavy liberal and very heavy homeless??

Old 06-02-2019, 09:50 AM

21,727 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Where do the illegals live?
Illegals live in many places. Your argument has been stupid from the start. I have demonstrated that. Illegals, BY DEFINITION, are not a legitimate factor in the market. If they are deported that is a legitimate and appropriate function of law enforcement, not an act of political interference on legitimate business.

Come up with a different scenario to prove your point ... or just go away.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Do you think dem policy rules and laws have any correlation to the homeless in the states who are heavy liberal and very heavy homeless??
Finper, there aren’t “democrat laws” and “republican laws” ... there are only laws.

I don’t know what you are trying to get at in terms of “correlation.”

The leading urban centers for homelessness are also economic leading centers. THAT is the correlation. Where business thrives and employment is high and well paid, rents rise accordingly and low-income housing is converted / redeveloped to upscale levels. This displaces economically marginalized populations.

Whether the economically marginalized populations are bad people, good people, purple people, smart people, stupid people, moral people, immoral people has nothing to do with the mechanics we are discussing. The FACT is: urban centers that are successful business centers with thriving economics driving upscale movement of populations - are also driving marginalized populations into the streets. It is a collateral damage dynamic.

Deal with it by housing the marginalized ... or step over them and endure their filth and disruptiveness. Binary choice.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Illegals live in many places. Your argument has been stupid from the start. I have demonstrated that. Illegals, BY DEFINITION, are not a legitimate factor in the market. If they are deported that is a legitimate and appropriate function of law enforcement, not an act of political interference on legitimate business.

Come up with a different scenario to prove your point ... or just go away.
Why can’t you just tell me where you think they live?

These 2.2+ million people must be living SOMEWHERE.

They can’t buy houses, the majority aren’t homeless....

WHERE DO THEY LIVE???

Old 06-02-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Why can’t you just tell me where you think they live?

These 2.2+ million people must be living SOMEWHERE.

They can’t buy houses, the majority aren’t homeless....

WHERE DO THEY LIVE???
I did tell you where they live ... not just where I “think” they live. They live all across the country. In communities large and small. Rural, small town, and urban centers.

And none of that has anything to do with the challenge you tried to raise: that their removal would legitimately affect the market negatively by act of political interference.

Now, if you have a further beef with illegals, you are free to take it to the “Illegal Immigration” forum. This thread is about homelessness. Which blight is directly tied to elimination of low cost housing.

If anything, political removal of illegals would free up some low cost housing for some more cost effective housing for homeless ... which in turn would improve overall urban desirability and functioning for more upscale renters, thus driving rents higher in quality properties in neighborhoods less impacted by homelessness.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:57 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
I did tell you where they live ... not just where I “think” they live. They live all across the country. In communities large and small. Rural, small town, and urban centers.

And none of that has anything to do with the challenge you tried to raise: that their removal would legitimately affect the market negatively by act of political interference.

Now, if you have a further beef with illegals, you are free to take it to the “Illegal Immigration” forum. This thread is about homelessness. Which blight is directly tied to elimination of low cost housing.

If anything, political removal of illegals would free up some low cost housing for some more cost effective housing for homeless ... which in turn would improve overall urban desirability and functioning for more upscale renters, thus driving rents higher in quality properties in neighborhoods less impacted by homelessness.
funny how this is morphing into yet another discussion about "the illegals"...Yes, if they were all deported there probably would be more available lower cost housing but I'm not sure that the apartments being rented by 'those people' would immediately become available to our low income citizens. When I lived in Reno I talked to a guy who owned several ratty old apartment complexes. He bragged that he was making 'beaucoup bucks' because he only rents to "the Mexicans" (code for illegal immigrants). He said they are the best tenants he ever had, they never put in maintenance requests, they are quiet and pay their full rent on the date it's due without fail. He said before he started renting to them he was thinking about selling the buildings because they were full of dope fiends and drunks and the cops were there day and night.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
funny how this is morphing into yet another discussion about "the illegals"...Yes, if they were all deported there probably would be more available lower cost housing but I'm not sure that the apartments being rented by 'those people' would immediately become available to our low income citizens. When I lived in Reno I talked to a guy who owned several ratty old apartment complexes. He bragged that he was making 'beaucoup bucks' because he only rents to "the Mexicans" (code for illegal immigrants). He said they are the best tenants he ever had, they never put in maintenance requests, they are quiet and pay their full rent on the date it's due without fail. He said before he started renting to them he was thinking about selling the buildings because they were full of dope fiends and drunks and the cops were there day and night.
Yes. When I wrote “if anything it would free up .... blah blah”, I wasn’t proposing it was a good or realistic scenario ... just pointing out that hypothetics can be dreamed up to fit a variety of outcomes.

The more likely outcome would be tear-downs of crap low cost housing for increasingly upscale development.

Bottom line for this tangent is business success / failure drives the rental and housing markets.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Ok, so I’m totally wasting my time but I’ll give it one final go.

Fact: There are over 2.2 million illegal immigrants living in California

Fact: Most of these people are not homeless

Fact: This means they must be living in structures of some kind.

Fact: Illegal immigrants do not buy houses.

Fact: You claim these people are not living in apartments

So at this point I’m beyond confused. Where is this mystical non-apartment place where millions call home???

What is wrong with you?

This is incredibly relevant to the topic of homelessness because the pro-vagrant activistis (such as yourself) argue that a huge number of the homeless are just good people who could no longer afford rent increases from their “evil landlords”

Old 06-02-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Ok, so I’m totally wasting my time but I’ll give it one final go.

Fact: There are over 2.2 million illegal immigrants living in California

Fact: Most of these people are not homeless

Fact: This means they must be living in structures of some kind.

Fact: Illegal immigrants do not buy houses.

Fact: You claim these people are not living in apartments

So at this point I’m beyond confused. Where is this mystical non-apartment place where millions call home???

What is wrong with you?

This is incredibly relevant to the topic of homelessness because the pro-vagrant activistis (such as yourself) argue that a huge number of the homeless are just good people who could no longer afford rent increases from their “evil landlords”
Lmfao.

1. Quote where I said illegals aren’t living in apartments.

2. There are a lot of illegals who are homeless in America ... but I haven’t said a single word about that either.

3. I also didn’t say anything about a “huge number of homeless are good people” ... haven’t discussed that one way or the other here.

4. What I have said, repeatedly for dense minds who can’t read and process information effectively is: the homeless are an economically “marginalized” population. The word “marginalized” is not a character judgement. Nor is it a play for sympathy. It is a factual economic descriptor.

5. When urban centers experience positive growth housing costs naturally rise.

6. When housing costs rise, economically marginalized populations are pushed out of their options for shelter.

7. The reason you are “wasting your time” is because you haven’t got a shred of logical talent evident in your scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles