Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2019, 08:46 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Here's how we do in AZ. Effective. No panhandlers are found where these signs are posted.

Or this:
Even the "People's Republic of Santa Monica" has similar signs. The city installed statues of Dolphins in downtown Santa Monica with slots in them which members of the public are encouraged to drop change in rather than directly into the hands of panhandlers.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but these were installed years ago (like 15 years or more).

https://www.smgov.net/Portals/Homele....aspx?id=18850

From the City's website about the program:
"In lieu of giving money directly to panhandlers, drop your spare change into one of the dolphin statues located in Santa Monica.

Money from the Dolphin Change Program is collected by Downtown Santa Monica, Inc. and granted to local agencies providing homeless services at the Westside Shelter and Hunger Coalition’s annual Celebrating Success Breakfast. Dolphins are located on Third Street Promenade, on Main Street at Ashland, and on the Santa Monica Pier."

Last edited by Astral_Weeks; 06-07-2019 at 09:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 08:47 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Saw your post.

Saw there were no links to story (for details).

Noted that you once again are attempting (without verification) to conflate homelessness with bad behaviors that have nothing to do with homelessness, as if they are somehow uniquely defining.

You are truly remarkable in this sort of amazingly illogical, irrational, maliciously discriminatory, nonsensical attack campaign.

Here’s what anyone with half the brain god gave a gnat would have to ask about any such accusation against an entire population demographic as you have just proposed:

1. Is this behavior common to the population being accused?

2. Is the act unique to the population, as accused?

The answers are: no ... and no.

Exitus, if a black, Jewish woman wearing a red MAGA hat pushed another woman’s baby stroller, complete with baby aboard, into a fountain pool in a park, would it be right to say:

1. Blacks are more dangerous than other races

2. Jews are more dangerous than other religious persons

3. Women must all be rounded up and sent to desert internment camps so they won’t attack babies in public

4. Trump supporters should be sent on Pinochet helicopter rides

????

Would you like me to post a bazillion examples of disgusting and dangerous acts of non-homeless persons to which we could then assign bigoted accusations against whatever race, socio-economic status, gender, profession, sex, et al that the perpetrator could be identified with?
Wow, I really got to you, did I? That's quite a personal attack there, so per usual out comes a hate-filled personal attack, since as you know my posts cannot be attacked simply by means of rational discourse.

And what you've failed to address is that stakeholders in a community do not behave as did the aforementioned homeless person. People with something to lose do not command their dogs to attack others simply as a matter of personal amusement, since stakeholders in a community do not want to run the risk of criminal or civil action against them.

And that pretty much ends the discussion. Good evening.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:52 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
BTW, Tulemutt, here's a story that contradicts your fallacious allegation that other cities aren't sending their homeless here...enjoy:

Quote:
Mike Bonin and Joe Buscaino, City Council members are working on legally trying to get cities surrounding Los Angeles to follow these laws.

They claim since Los Angeles allows people to sleep on the streets from 9 pm to 6 am, surrounding cities are actually dumping their homeless people in Los Angeles.

Bonin went on to say, "Instead of allowing people to sleep on their sidewalks, they are encouraging people, or compelling people, to move to the city of Los Angeles to do that".
https://kfiam640.iheart.com/featured...eless-into-la/

Old 06-07-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Strawman alert.
Indeed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Some non tax paying individuals offer “optionations” at the expense of others. They dismiss the opinions of others. They spew “denigrations” to those residents of Los Angeles and Greater Los Angeles who are sick and tired of the inaction of officials to control the filthy bums and who vent here. These self styled heroes of the bums minimize the destruction of the QOL for Angelenos by bums and minimize the many crimes committed by bums whose numbers seem to be exploding. They discount the possibility that bums migrate when word gets out that bums will and are getting goodies — as if half of Ohio wouldn’t empty out if they knew they’d get a free housing unit in LA.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
BTW, Tulemutt, here's a story that contradicts your fallacious allegation that other cities aren't sending their homeless here...enjoy:

Not here to put words in Tulemutt's mouth but the allegation this story is making is quite different from the notion that cities hundreds or thousands of miles away (like way Chicago or St. Louis) are busing homeless people in droves to LA County.

These two politicians are merely stating surrounding cities within LA County are encouraging homeless people to camp out in the City of LA due to the court injunction. That is NOT the same claim I have seen Tulemutt make on these pages regarding large scale homeless migration from outside the region.

Nice try but no cigar Exitus.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:31 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Wow, I really got to you, did I? That's quite a personal attack there, so per usual out comes a hate-filled personal attack, since as you know my posts cannot be attacked simply by means of rational discourse.

And what you've failed to address is that stakeholders in a community do not behave as did the aforementioned homeless person. People with something to lose do not command their dogs to attack others simply as a matter of personal amusement, since stakeholders in a community do not want to run the risk of criminal or civil action against them.

And that pretty much ends the discussion. Good evening.
No, you didn’t “get to me” ... why would such a stupid false correlation “get to me”?

“Personal attack”? The only personal attack is the one you tried to levy on the homeless: that, somehow, a stupid, sick, one-off event should define a whole community of people.

Why would I have to “address the stakeholders in a community” not behaving as this one (alleged) homeless nut-job? As I asked, should I start posting examples of sick crimes committed by housed persons and then accuse all housed persons of rape, murder, assault, poisonings, whatever because one did such?

YOU didn’t answer MY questions:

1. Is the (alleged) behavior of this one homeless person common among all - or even numerous - homeless?

2. Was it an act unique to homeless persons?

Answer those questions, Exitus. How often can you cite homeless persons doing this that you can suggest it is common homeless behavior? Answer?

We know you can’t. Just another deliberate attempt to fear-monger and incite reactive hatred.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:

... What Astral just said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Not here to put words in Tulemutt's mouth but the allegation this story is making is quite different from the notion that cities hundreds or thousands of miles away (like way Chicago or St. Louis) are busing homeless people in droves to LA County.

These two politicians are merely stating surrounding cities within LA County are encouraging homeless people to camp out in the City of LA due to the court injunction. That is NOT the same claim I have seen Tulemutt make on these pages regarding large scale homeless migration from outside the region.

Nice try but no cigar Exitus.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Indeed:
Irony ate the strawman, eh

Old 06-08-2019, 12:46 AM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Many are paid to pick up litter. Scroll back.

No one is handing out free permanent housing.

Why do I have a feeling the 'temporary housing' will become permanent?

Old 06-08-2019, 12:54 AM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Mayor Yoga Pants has been trying to fool people into believing the bums aren't making the mess but businesses are doing illegal dumping. He said he'd put up cameras and catch the scofflaws! Except... someone discovered brand new cameras in boxes that had been stored for months. Oops! Your tax dollars at work!

By the way, did you hear that Garcetti cried when emergency measure EE was defeated by the voters, who showed sense for a change?

I hope KFI's John and Ken start a recall movement for that jerk before he does more damage.

Oh, and another thing, if it hasn't been mentioned:

On the side of Venice Blvd in Los Angeles, there are tents and trash on the sidewalk. Across the street, in Culver City, clean as can be! LA City Council is furious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles