Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2019, 08:41 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
You almost got me. I started a post attacking you the way you & sleep consistently do. Again I'll say, your attitude toward anyone with a thought is only going to successfully fail to help anyone. (check the bold in only 1 of your posts)

As far as the Vietnamese refugees, it is Exactly the same. They had No home, Nothing. The plan & system put in place and executed that secured their future and their children's future was a success. Many of their children & grandchildren are now high income earners in tech, medical, contractors... paying tax's.

Just because you want to dismiss it as N/A does not make you right.
Here’s some examples of the kinds of “thoughts” for “solutions” that appear in this thread, repeatedly:

Round up the homeless and ship them out - constitutionally illegal

Forcibly detain them - illegal in absence of crime committed and person convicted ... and sentencing must conform to guidelines / mandates that call for incarceration ... camping on streets, relieving oneself in public places, littering, jaywalking, as examples, do not rate jail time for housed citizens so they don’t for homeless either

Force them to get “treatment” for alcohol or drug abuse, mental illness - constitutionally illegal

Force them to work - constitutionally illegal

Put them in helicopters and push them out in the air (yes a real suggestion by a poster)

Take them out to sea in ships and abandon them (yes, another real suggestion)

Issue electric cattle prods to police to use on them - (yes, a real suggestion)

Get the drift there moved? Do you understand the reason for constitutionally challenging forced detainment, forced treatment, forced labor are to protect your rights and mine as well as those homeless?

Do you understand that defining the homeless as animals worthy of killing and maiming creates violence against these homeless?

Now then, the Vietnamese refugees: there is no comparison. I am a Vietnam veteran. I lived and fought with and against these people and also welcomed many to our shores when it was over. These refugees were torn from industrious lives, filled with success in families and relationships. They escaped to opportunity that was supported by families and assistance programs. They were not drug addicted, mentally addled, diseased, aged out of culture and employment, disabled, abused, sexually rejected, and the like. They came with hope and desire and motivation for a new and better life supported by other Vietnamese already here and established.

The American homeless comparable are homeless blindsided by some misfortune and who find resources and support and turn their life back into focus. That segment of our homeless population are not the problem and are not homeless chronically.

Yes I can be dismissive of your analogy, because I lived it, I work with it, and I know my topic academically as well as experientially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 09:18 PM

1,022 posts, read 737,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Here’s some examples of the kinds of “thoughts” for “solutions” that appear in this thread, repeatedly:

Round up the homeless and ship them out - constitutionally illegal

Forcibly detain them - illegal in absence of crime committed and person convicted ... and sentencing must conform to guidelines / mandates that call for incarceration ... camping on streets, relieving oneself in public places, littering, jaywalking, as examples, do not rate jail time for housed citizens so they don’t for homeless either

Force them to get “treatment” for alcohol or drug abuse, mental illness - constitutionally illegal

Force them to work - constitutionally illegal

Put them in helicopters and push them out in the air (yes a real suggestion by a poster)

Take them out to sea in ships and abandon them (yes, another real suggestion)

Issue electric cattle prods to police to use on them - (yes, a real suggestion)

Get the drift there moved? Do you understand the reason for constitutionally challenging forced detainment, forced treatment, forced labor are to protect your rights and mine as well as those homeless?

Do you understand that defining the homeless as animals worthy of killing and maiming creates violence against these homeless?

Now then, the Vietnamese refugees: there is no comparison. I am a Vietnam veteran. I lived and fought with and against these people and also welcomed many to our shores when it was over. These refugees were torn from industrious lives, filled with success in families and relationships. They escaped to opportunity that was supported by families and assistance programs. They were not drug addicted, mentally addled, diseased, aged out of culture and employment, disabled, abused, sexually rejected, and the like. They came with hope and desire and motivation for a new and better life supported by other Vietnamese already here and established.

The American homeless comparable are homeless blindsided by some misfortune and who find resources and support and turn their life back into focus. That segment of our homeless population are not the problem and are not homeless chronically.

Yes I can be dismissive of your analogy, because I lived it, I work with it, and I know my topic academically as well as experientially.

Well thanks for clearing that up. I now know without a doubt that you know NOTHING about the Vietnamese transition to American culture. I was there, it was my job, it was successful.

Yeah, some of those suggestions are ridiculous. Cherry picking can always be 100% as shown by your examples. But you forgot some of the possible solutions others have posted. Maybe by accident, I'm not sure.

My posts have mostly been about the way you BLAST anyone with a thought or suggestion as being counter productive and that way of communication might keep the one poster who might have a real idea from posting as to not be attacked by you.

Be smart about it (that is if you care as much as you want everyone to believe).

As a Viet Vet. you must be aware of the 100% disability award offered. It is plenty for any homeless vet. to live in L.A. once awarded. Oh, it also includes back pay. Yep. Could be enough to set up a person pretty well.

Get your homeless vet buddies the correct assistance. They deserve it.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:10 PM

8,326 posts, read 6,417,109 times
Telemutt why don't you try camping on the streets, relieving yourself in public places, littering, jaywalking, stealing, attacking people, taking drugs, selling drugs, and see what happens to you.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Well thanks for clearing that up. I now know without a doubt that you know NOTHING about the Vietnamese transition to American culture. I was there, it was my job, it was successful.
You were where, moved? What was your job?

I didn’t say the Vietnamese transition to American culture wasn’t successful. Quite the opposite. I pointed out, correctly, that they did not fall into desperate circumstances and homelessness through personal failures of character, mental illness, addictions, intellectual disabilities, criminal behaviors, disabilities, aging out of the workforce, and such. The refugees were intellectually intact, free of addictions, emotionally stable, honest, hard-working by nature and history ... and were met by others of their culture and language who were established here to be supportive.

If you can’t follow clearly presented factual evidence, no, I don’t believe it was “your job” to assist Vietnamese assimilation to America.

Quote:
Yeah, some of those suggestions are ridiculous. Cherry picking can always be 100% as shown by your examples. But you forgot some of the possible solutions others have posted. Maybe by accident, I'm not sure.

My posts have mostly been about the way you BLAST anyone with a thought or suggestion as being counter productive and that way of communication might keep the one poster who might have a real idea from posting as to not be attacked by you.

Be smart about it (that is if you care as much as you want everyone to believe).

As a Viet Vet. you must be aware of the 100% disability award offered. It is plenty for any homeless vet. to live in L.A. once awarded. Oh, it also includes back pay. Yep. Could be enough to set up a person pretty well.

“Cherry picking”? Moved, browse through any of the CD threads on homelessness and see how many times posters rant about forcing the homeless into detention, work camps, recovery programs, jails and so forth. See how many times the homeless are reviled and ridiculed and framed as sub-human. And in between you’ll see a few intelligent questions and reports of programs that serve the crises.

Note who makes the intelligent posts with good ideas and suggestions. Quote some you think I have ridiculed. I can’t wait. In the SF forum you just encouraged a poster to “keep posting great ideas!” ... and to ignore my rebuttals. Every single suggestion that poster made was unconstitutional and illegal, called for forced detentions and treatment. That’s your idea of “great ideas”? Lol.

So again, quote some “possible solutions” I have ridiculed.

Now, the “100% veteran’s disability awards”? What about them? You don’t know squat about VA disability ratings and awards. I have helped a number of veterans qualify for disability ratings. You imply that 100% is easily attainable by these homeless vets? Bulltweet.

100% is tough. It has to be “service connected” resulting in unemployability. Most VA disability awards that are service connected are for lower %. 10%, 30%, 50% if a vet is lucky. Multiple amputee combat veterans don’t get 100% - unless they have other damages such as debilitating PTSD. Blindness and total deafness do not even qualify for 100% by themselves. Only severely disabled such as brain-damaged and unable to work or perform daily functions without assistance get the 100% rating. And it amounts to approximately $3300 a month for a mid-level enlisted medical retiree. To get these ratings is an intensive process of interviews and exams and evaluations that take years to complete. Years, moved. Years.

Now there is a non-service-connected award available as well. It is for less than half the connected $. Veterans who fall to illness and addictions that cannot be proven directly connected to experiences documented during military duty can apply. So a former soldier or sailor who falls into alcoholism, for example, or who has a civilian accident that cripples him/her is eligible to apply and receive a temporary stipend. The stipend can last for life but is periodically reviewable at VA discretion, and can be terminated.

I have helped veterans win those non-service-connected pensions, as well. I have assisted vets in applying for and being awarded housing, mental health treatment, medical services from toe fungus to cancer surgeries and PTSD hospitalizations. I have been a veteran’s suicide hotline counselor.

And I did a career in the military, bro.

Many homeless vets DO receive various benefits, including disability awards, both service-connected and non-service-connected. And yet some still remain homeless because most awards are insufficient to support a person without adjunct employment. Quite a number of these partial disability vets live in beater rv’s ... you’ll see quite a number parked around VA hospitals in cities across the nation.

Your posts demonstrate you know exactly zip about homelessness, the military, veteran’s benefits, and Vietnamese absorption into American culture.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Telemutt why don't you try camping on the streets, relieving yourself in public places, littering, jaywalking, stealing, attacking people, taking drugs, selling drugs, and see what happens to you.
Why would I?

Old 09-06-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
You were where, moved? What was your job?

I didn’t say the Vietnamese transition to American culture wasn’t successful. Quite the opposite. I pointed out, correctly, that they did not fall into desperate circumstances and homelessness through personal failures of character, mental illness, addictions, intellectual disabilities, criminal behaviors, disabilities, aging out of the workforce, and such. The refugees were intellectually intact, free of addictions, emotionally stable, honest, hard-working by nature and history ... and were met by others of their culture and language who were established here to be supportive.

If you can’t follow clearly presented factual evidence, no, I don’t believe it was “your job” to assist Vietnamese assimilation to America.

“Cherry picking”? Moved, browse through any of the CD threads on homelessness and see how many times posters rant about forcing the homeless into detention, work camps, recovery programs, jails and so forth. See how many times the homeless are reviled and ridiculed and framed as sub-human. And in between you’ll see a few intelligent questions and reports of programs that serve the crises.

Note who makes the intelligent posts with good ideas and suggestions. Quote some you think I have ridiculed. I can’t wait. In the SF forum you just encouraged a poster to “keep posting great ideas!” ... and to ignore my rebuttals. Every single suggestion that poster made was unconstitutional and illegal, called for forced detentions and treatment. That’s your idea of “great ideas”? Lol.

So again, quote some “possible solutions” I have ridiculed.

Now, the “100% veteran’s disability awards”? What about them? You don’t know squat about VA disability ratings and awards. I have helped a number of veterans qualify for disability ratings. You imply that 100% is easily attainable by these homeless vets? Bulltweet.

100% is tough. It has to be “service connected” resulting in unemployability. Most VA disability awards that are service connected are for lower %. 10%, 30%, 50% if a vet is lucky. Multiple amputee combat veterans don’t get 100% - unless they have other damages such as debilitating PTSD. Blindness and total deafness do not even qualify for 100% by themselves. Only severely disabled such as brain-damaged and unable to work or perform daily functions without assistance get the 100% rating. And it amounts to approximately $3300 a month for a mid-level enlisted medical retiree. To get these ratings is an intensive process of interviews and exams and evaluations that take years to complete. Years, moved. Years.

Now there is a non-service-connected award available as well. It is for less than half the connected $. Veterans who fall to illness and addictions that cannot be proven directly connected to experiences documented during military duty can apply. So a former soldier or sailor who falls into alcoholism, for example, or who has a civilian accident that cripples him/her is eligible to apply and receive a temporary stipend. The stipend can last for life but is periodically reviewable at VA discretion, and can be terminated.

I have helped veterans win those non-service-connected pensions, as well. I have assisted vets in applying for and being awarded housing, mental health treatment, medical services from toe fungus to cancer surgeries and PTSD hospitalizations. I have been a veteran’s suicide hotline counselor.

And I did a career in the military, bro.

Many homeless vets DO receive various benefits, including disability awards, both service-connected and non-service-connected. And yet some still remain homeless because most awards are insufficient to support a person without adjunct employment. Quite a number of these partial disability vets live in beater rv’s ... you’ll see quite a number parked around VA hospitals in cities across the nation.

Your posts demonstrate you know exactly zip about homelessness, the military, veteran’s benefits, and Vietnamese absorption into American culture.

Yeah right, I have no interest in your rambling about stuff you know nothing about. Keep alienating everyone with an idea - soon people will care even less than you. You then can have your 1 man parade.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:

Just forgot to ridicule your claim about “back pay” ... so, since you have me pegged for ridiculing this is another opportunity to demonstrate how posters like you earn it.

The only “back pay” that comes with VA disability awards is for the service-connected ... and it dates “back” to time of application ... not time in service.

I DO get my homeless vet buddies the correct assistance they qualify for. It’s not what you seem to believe.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah right, I have no interest in your rambling about stuff you know nothing about. Keep alienating everyone with an idea - soon people will care even less than you. You then can have your 1 man parade.
Lol. Can’t refute a single thing I’ve said. Tell us and show proof of fallacies in my description of veteran’s awards. You can’t answer where and how you assisted Vietnamese assimilation either. Zip is what you have to truthfully share with readers.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Lol. Can’t refute a single thing I’ve said. Tell us and show proof of fallacies in my description of veteran’s awards. You can’t answer where and how you assisted Vietnamese assimilation either. Zip is what you have to truthfully share with readers.
If all you can achieve is 30% award for viet vets, PLEASE stop with your assistance. You are doing them a great disservice.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
If all you can achieve is 30% award for viet vets, PLEASE stop with your assistance. You are doing them a great disservice.
If you can’t read with accuracy and comprehension, PLEASE stop commenting. I didn’t say 30% is all I helped Viet vets achieve. I said very clearly that 100% compensation is an extremely hard rating to win. I have assisted and been successful at that level several times over the years. Arduous process.

I wrote that awards of 10%, 30%, 50% are more the rule.

And now the rule is you reinforcing your lack of knowledge of this topic. Move along moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles