U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-14-2020, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,943 posts, read 2,192,361 times
Reputation: 3759

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
What we are seeing is not a "homeless" issue. It's a drug issue.

Down on your luck true homeless people are not erecting tents in filthy places and living in squalor...only addicts chose to live in these conditions.
And why do people become addicts? Usually a lack of support from the family and community as well as being in hopeless circumstances. Everyone should be entitled to a place to live and a guaranteed minimum income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2020, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 °N, 🌄°W
11,524 posts, read 5,468,341 times
Reputation: 7384
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
And why do people become addicts? Usually a lack of support from the family and community as well as being in hopeless circumstances.
I've know several addicts who came from loving supportive families. Typically hanging with the wrong influences are what leads to drug addiction.

No one factor can predict if a person will become addicted to drugs. A combination of factors influences risk for addiction. The more risk factors a person has, the greater the chance that taking drugs can lead to addiction.

Are you aware that the genes that people are born with account for about half of a person's risk for addiction?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Everyone should be entitled to a place to live and a guaranteed minimum income.
No one is entitled to anything they did not earn themselves or acquire legally.

As far as I know every person working legally in the US is guaranteed a minimum income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2020, 06:40 AM
 
Location: So Ca
18,543 posts, read 17,018,657 times
Reputation: 16169
Nearly 60,000 people live without permanent shelter in L.A. County, most of them sleeping in the streets each night. Getting every person into an emergency shelter or a hotel room is probably an impossible task.

But in recent weeks, city and county officials, guided by the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority, settled on the smaller number of 15,000 because it accounts for the segment of the homeless population most likely to die on the streets — with or without the pandemic. Those who are seniors and are medically fragile.

“We’re in a race to save lives,” said Sarah Dusseault, chairwoman of the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority’s oversight commission. “Our thought is that every person who is taken to a hotel room is one less person possibly sick and one less person using hospital resources.


https://www.latimes.com/homeless-hou...roject-roomkey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2020, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 °N, 🌄°W
11,524 posts, read 5,468,341 times
Reputation: 7384
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Nearly 60,000 people live without permanent shelter in L.A. County, most of them sleeping in the streets each night. Getting every person into an emergency shelter or a hotel room is probably an impossible task.

But in recent weeks, city and county officials, guided by the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority, settled on the smaller number of 15,000 because it accounts for the segment of the homeless population most likely to die on the streets — with or without the pandemic. Those who are seniors and are medically fragile.

“We’re in a race to save lives,” said Sarah Dusseault, chairwoman of the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority’s oversight commission. “Our thought is that every person who is taken to a hotel room is one less person possibly sick and one less person using hospital resources.


https://www.latimes.com/homeless-hou...roject-roomkey
One less drug addict who drops out of society to live that lifestyle the better CA will be.

This is a drug addict issue...not a poor down on your luck homeless issue as many here fail to realize.

I suggest you watch the documentary I posted called Seattle is Dying.

Now come back and tell me this is not the exact same thing you see here in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2020, 08:47 PM
 
Location: On the water.
16,334 posts, read 9,248,659 times
Reputation: 13505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
One less drug addict who drops out of society to live that lifestyle the better CA will be.

This is a drug addict issue...not a poor down on your luck homeless issue as many here fail to realize.

I suggest you watch the documentary I posted called
Seattle is Dying
.

Now come back and tell me this is not the exact same thing you see here in CA.
When was the last time you roved around the homeless in Seattle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2020, 08:50 AM
 
Location: So Ca
18,543 posts, read 17,018,657 times
Reputation: 16169
NIMBYism against housing for homeless people is bad enough during normal times. But during a pandemic, it’s appalling.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...less-people-in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2020, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 °N, 🌄°W
11,524 posts, read 5,468,341 times
Reputation: 7384
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
NIMBYism against housing for homeless people is bad enough during normal times. But during a pandemic, it’s appalling.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...less-people-in
Do you understand the concerns people have? The article is nothing more than an opinion piece written by a biased "bleeding heart" mentality.

People should have concerns about moving in drug addicts and mentally ill people who will go unsupervised.

From the opinion article:

'But some cities have worried about “potential loitering and other nuisances by homeless guests,” as Lawndale‘s website puts it.'

'According to a spokesperson for the Hotel Assn., hotels worry that their staff and managers are ill-equipped to deal with substance-abusing or mentally ill homeless people who might become disruptive in hotels.'

'City officials have complained that they were never consulted or even informed before the county signed up hotels.'

Instead of being appalled perhaps you can help by taking in one of these "homeless" folks and sheltering them on your property. Perhaps this would provide you a sobering insight in to the real issue as to why these folks are "homeless".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2020, 11:54 AM
 
1,605 posts, read 1,122,868 times
Reputation: 2458
Newest numbers out, another double digit percentage increase in homelessness.

14% rise in city to over 41,000.
13% rise in county to over 66,000.

This was before they started releasing a lot of people from jails for COVID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2020, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Beautiful free Arizona
3,770 posts, read 2,151,165 times
Reputation: 5356
Now the Newsom is supplying housing for the homeless to help with the virus is anyone seeing a decrease in homeless on the street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2020, 02:47 PM
 
Location: So Ca
18,543 posts, read 17,018,657 times
Reputation: 16169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Newest numbers out, another double digit percentage increase in homelessness.
Nothing has so thwarted the effort to get homeless people off the streets of Los Angeles like the lack of permanent housing for homeless people. The $1.2-billion homeless housing program that city voters agreed to nearly four years ago has yielded less than 100 rental units — though thousands are expected to open in the coming years. All told, the city has opened fewer than 750 units of homeless housing in the past fiscal year.

That’s obviously a sliver of what we need now...

The real progress that the city and county have made in sheltering homeless people is what they accomplished, remarkably, in just the past three months. About 6,000 particularly vulnerable homeless people have been housed mostly in hotels and motels throughout the county (subsidized heavily by federal emergency aid through a program called Project Roomkey), but also in city recreation centers converted into shelters. That was done to protect homeless people from getting COVID-19. But when the emergency is over and most of those hotels and motels want their rooms back, the city and county must make sure the people now in them aren’t tossed right back onto the streets.


https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...ent-aggressive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top