Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2020, 10:18 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,585,700 times

Advertisements

America's a ****hole country now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 06:00 AM

21,565 posts, read 16,072,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Makes me sick. Makes me want to cry.
Yeah, you’re good at crying.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:08 AM

23,065 posts, read 28,778,528 times
Instead of getting angry at the homeless, how about getting angry at the anti-development, anti-density Nimby's, or the CA Coastal Commission disallowing high rises along the California coastline!

I can't even stretch my imagination far enough to imagine a 40 story high rise in Venice Beach, or Manhattan Beach, or Malibu, or, or or!

Build them, and those farther inland, who can't afford to live near the coast, it will give them an opportunity to live near the coast, and the inland becomes more affordable. The trickle down effect!

I wish there were more homeless in my neighborhood as I love to talk to the homeless, far more interesting than talking to someone with a college degree.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:34 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,745,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Instead of getting angry at the homeless, how about getting angry at the anti-development, anti-density Nimby's, or the CA Coastal Commission disallowing high rises along the California coastline!

I can't even stretch my imagination far enough to imagine a 40 story high rise in Venice Beach, or Manhattan Beach, or Malibu, or, or or!

Build them, and those farther inland, who can't afford to live near the coast, it will give them an opportunity to live near the coast, and the inland becomes more affordable. The trickle down effect!

I wish there were more homeless in my neighborhood as I love to talk to the homeless, far more interesting than talking to someone with a college degree.
The build you suggest would not help the homeless at all. Well maybe give them more buildings to camp around as they do now.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:15 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,585,700 times
Quote:

I like this because it's an outside of the box idea. It shouldn't be, but it is.

Think of NYC. It's the best city in the world. Think if NYC had building height restrictions. It's just ridiculous that California has such restrictions. I totally agree that building high-rises would help affordable housing.

Many of these people are mentally ill and/or addicts. That's a whole other problem, but can be addressed. There is so much money allocated to homeless services, but you never see an improvement, it only gets worse and worse.

Most homeless people are males and no one ever wonders why.

It's just a mess. I can't even imagine what is going on in Venice to allow this.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:25 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,384,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
In the 80’s me and my friends used to go walk around the Venice boardwalk. It has always been a little sketchy but it was so fun to watch the roller skaters, break dancers, live performers and the weight lifters on muscle beach.

Harry Perry.
Totally agree that the boardwalk had a certain grittiness which was what made it cool, but when gritty deteriorates into sketchy, it's a sad situation.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:29 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,128,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Harry Perry.
Totally agree that the boardwalk had a certain grittiness which was what made it cool, but when gritty deteriorates into sketchy, it's a sad situation.
Do you remember the swamy on roller skates? Wonder if he’s still alive.

Old 10-10-2020, 01:42 PM

23,065 posts, read 28,778,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
The build you suggest would not help the homeless at all. Well maybe give them more buildings to camp around as they do now.
You don't understand the trickle down effect?

There's wall to wall high rises on the coast from Miami northwards to Palm Beach. And where do the poor live? Inland!

You build high rises wall to wall from Malibu south, more people inland, who would love to have an ocean view can finally afford it. Let the poorer take Bernardino, Riverside, Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario, and perhaps some of the homeless, banding together, can afford a roof over their heads.

Malibu has 25 miles of shoreline, selfishly coveted by ? 25K people. There's enough room there for a 100 high rises alone.

You can't tell me that the Nimby's in West L.A. and particularly San Francisco aren't part of the homeless problem.

Old 10-10-2020, 02:03 PM

8,373 posts, read 6,745,607 times
It’s always been a dog eat dog world in Southern California. The elites get their coastal multi million dollar beach homes and high rise condos. Private security to keep the riff raff out. Your average Californian lives miles inland. The Golden State a mythical place that never really existed for most of us.

Old 10-10-2020, 02:09 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,745,094 times
Quote:
You don't understand the trickle down effect?

There's wall to wall high rises on the coast from Miami northwards to Palm Beach. And where do the poor live? Inland!

You build high rises wall to wall from Malibu south, more people inland, who would love to have an ocean view can finally afford it. Let the poorer take Bernardino, Riverside, Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario, and perhaps some of the homeless, banding together, can afford a roof over their heads.

Malibu has 25 miles of shoreline, selfishly coveted by ? 25K people. There's enough room there for a 100 high rises alone.

You can't tell me that the Nimby's in West L.A. and particularly San Francisco aren't part of the homeless problem.

They will not leave.

Plus FL has a much better way of handling homeless than CA. I was in Orlando FL for a while, working with the Ambassadors who care for the homeless and ... no camping anywhere. They get room, Medical, food and clothes as needed. They are walking the streets but do not bother people. I got to know several of them including those with medical issues. If they camp out they are arrested. CA could learn from Orlando.

Nimby's are not a real part of it. No builder is going to build for less, so prices will not go down. That is the dream of those who think prices would go down. Nope.

Homeless basically fall into two classes: those who have lost work or gone bankrupt over issues like huge medical bills, who eventually get work again and .. Alcoholics, Druggies. Mentally disturbed and those who like living that way. The first group can be helped, the second .. nope not in CA.

Plus NYC is build on solid rock and CA does not have that.

Last edited by Racer46; 10-10-2020 at 02:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles