Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2018, 09:27 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Will someone explain to me what is wrong with building lagre camps out in the desert to house these people?
I personally know many hard working folks who are barely able to get by in CA...they slave away day after day for minimum wage...why not build free homes for these folks instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 09:33 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Looks to me like the AV would be the ideal place to build structures to house the homeless, as well as medical, educational. and religious facilities.

I would imagine the land would be a hell of a lot cheaper here, instead of downtown Los Angeles.

Bob.
But where would the drugged out homeless find their drugs? Where would the one's who steal bikes and run bike chop shops get their bike supply from? Where would the homeless who steal packages from our front porches find porches to steal packages from?

There are a lot of folks in CA working for minimum wage and who are on the fringe of becoming homeless and who would love to have free housing provided. I would place my money on these folks any day vs. the resourceful career homeless folks.

Last edited by Matadora; 02-11-2018 at 09:49 PM..

Old 02-11-2018, 09:55 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
But where would the drugged out homeless find their drugs? Where would the one's who steal bikes and run bike chop shops get their bike supply from? Where would the homeless who steal packages from our front porches find porches to steal packages from?

There are a lot of folks in CA working for minimum wage and who are on the fringe of becoming homeless and who would love to have free housing provided. I would place my money on these folks any day vs. the resourceful career homeless folks.
The things you speak of regarding the homeless is the main reason why they must be taken off the street, and efforts made to getting their lives back together.
They are a blight on society, and the only way that will stop is by a concentrated effort by local governments, and the private sector to help them rehabilitate.

Bob.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:03 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Interesting that in New York City (which has a larger homeless population than Los Angeles), 95% of its homeless are sheltered, whereas it's 25% of our homeless population. We're obviously doing something wrong.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...462449073.html
I'm sure the weather has a lot to do with it.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:33 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Why are there so many people expressing concern for the mentally disturbed people who roam our streets, yet not as much if any concern for the normal people who are afraid to walk through their own neighborhoods for fear of the mentally deranged people who roam the same streets?

I don't care where the homeless people go, as long as it's away.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:08 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Why are there so many people expressing concern for the mentally disturbed people who roam our streets, yet not as much if any concern for the normal people who are afraid to walk through their own neighborhoods for fear of the mentally deranged people who roam the same streets?

I don't care where the homeless people go, as long as it's away.
Just as I was reading this i saw on the news that a elderly Korean lady was attacked on the street in Korea town

Old 02-12-2018, 07:25 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Let's keep it on topic folks.

Bob.
It is part of the topic.

Quote:
Looks to me like the AV would be the ideal place to build structures to house the homeless, as well as medical, educational. and religious facilities.

I would imagine the land would be a hell of a lot cheaper here, instead of downtown Los Angeles.

Bob.
And who is going to pay for all this Bob? You?

Let's be real, you just don't want to look at them. The new gas tax that came into law this year to fix the streets has people whining. You think people want to pay for all this? And how long do you get stay there(assuming they want to go)? One year, two years, ten years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I personally know many hard working folks who are barely able to get by in CA...they slave away day after day for minimum wage...why not build free homes for these folks instead?
No, people who work fast food jobs at 28 and have two kids(usually not married) don't deserve free homes.

Those jobs were never meant to support families on.

I could afford a better phone, but I use a T Mobile smartphone that costs me $25 a month, the phone itself cost me next to nothing as it was I believe a $130 but it included 4 months of free service, so out of pocket $30. I could have Showtime and HBO to watch shows like "Shameless" and "Orange is the New Black", instead I get the DVDs at the library for free.

I see workers in places like Target and McDonalds with phones that cost more, and I would bet they're paying more than $25 a month for service. When you're making low wages you shouldn't have a $400 phone and be paying $75 to a $100 a month for service.

There are people who should also just say "LA is too expensive for me, I either need to find a less expensive place to live in CA or leave the state".

There are also people who could cut out their $5 Starbucks every morning for starters to save some money.

People used to have something called a "Rainy Day Fund", money they saved for things like car repairs,having to buy a car, etc.

Now we have "Go Fund Me", with the exception of situations like paying for a funeral for a child or medical expenses, people now think others should pay for things they could have afforded but again they must have the latest Apple device, full cable, and $300 sneakers.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:42 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It is part of the topic.

And who is going to pay for all this Bob? You?

Let's be real, you just don't want to look at them. The new gas tax that came into law this year to fix the streets has people whining. You think people want to pay for all this? And how long do you get stay there(assuming they want to go)? One year, two years, ten years?

No, people who work fast food jobs at 28 and have two kids(usually not married) don't deserve free homes.

Those jobs were never meant to support families on.

I could afford a better phone, but I use a T Mobile smartphone that costs me $25 a month, the phone itself cost me next to nothing as it was I believe a $130 but it included 4 months of free service, so out of pocket $30. I could have Showtime and HBO to watch shows like "Shameless" and "Orange is the New Black", instead I get the DVDs at the library for free.

I see workers in places like Target and McDonalds with phones that cost more, and I would bet they're paying more than $25 a month for service. When you're making low wages you shouldn't have a $400 phone and be paying $75 to a $100 a month for service.

There are people who should also just say "LA is too expensive for me, I either need to find a less expensive place to live in CA or leave the state".

There are also people who could cut out their $5 Starbucks every morning for starters to save some money.

People used to have something called a "Rainy Day Fund", money they saved for things like car repairs,having to buy a car, etc.

Now we have "Go Fund Me", with the exception of situations like paying for a funeral for a child or medical expenses, people now think others should pay for things they could have afforded but again they must have the latest Apple device, full cable, and $300 sneakers.
You are right, but people hate to admit that it is up to them to do well, not everyone else.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:46 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Let's keep it on topic folks.
That IS the topic. Unaffordable housing has everything to do with homelessness. Check the other threads on this topic here. One of the biggest reasons the homeless rate has spiked in the past two years is: EVICTIONS.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:47 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I'm sure the weather has a lot to do with it.
New York City magically comes up with the funds to shelter all those people? Doesn't sound as if it's due to the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles