Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 12:26 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Something has always puzzled me about homeless people.
They don't work, so how , and where do they get the money for drugs?
They can't all be home invasion experts.

Bob.
I'd assume their government checks get delivered to a PO box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 01:22 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
You misunderstand my point.

If homeless can cross the street to have a better existence, they will.
If homeless can go 3 blocks to the left and have a better existence, they will do so.
If homeless can go 3 miles to the left and have a better existence, almost all will do so.
If homeless can go 30 miles to the left and have a much better existence, most will do so.

The entire issue is about the comparison of the quality of life in one spot relative to another spot.
And you wouldn't if you were homeless?

What was the point again? That all those people in other countries who have it worse than our homeless population should come over to LA?

Believe it or not, it takes a lot of courage to go from one place to another when you know no one and nothing at all about the place you're going to. Let's put you down in a strange city with no money and no support and not knowing anyone there, and see how you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
If the homeless can go to LA because the cops won't do anything to them they will.
If the homeless can go to LA because they are like a sacred cow here to the politicians they will.
If the homeless can go to LA they can do anything they want they will.
If the homeless can go to LA because they can take drugs and be stone drunk in public and nothing happens they will.
If the homeless can go to LA and go to the bathroom in the street and expose themselves they will.
If the homeless can go to LA and steal everything that isn't bolted down they will.
I didn't do any of those things when I was homeless. In fact, I probably waited on people like you when I was working before going "home" to my vehicle. You're the one that made all those tasteless comments about homeless people to my face, never dreaming I was one of "them".

I'm never going to know how it feels to be a black person in a white society, but I can sure feel the prejudice.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:36 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
For any specific individual, you and I share that same trait. We cannot predict the behaviour of a specific individual.
For large groups of people, we have a much better idea.
Let me refer you to what you said above at the start of this post. You can apply that to yourself, right?
You just conflated two of my statements for no good reason at all... Here's the deal Sport, the homeless are not going to agree to be rounded up and shipped off to Antelope Valley, Blythe, Mojave or any other God forsaken place that you think would be 'ideal'. They have formed communities where they are, if you don't believe me then maybe you should volunteer to spend some time working with the homeless. They don't trust authority and in many cases have good reason not to.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:54 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
John and Ken are talking about this now.

Ew! You could smell the fecal matter.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:34 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I didn't do any of those things when I was homeless. In fact, I probably waited on people like you when I was working before going "home" to my vehicle. You're the one that made all those tasteless comments about homeless people to my face, never dreaming I was one of "them".
Can't rep you again.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:23 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Here's the deal Sport, the homeless are not going to agree to be rounded up and shipped off
Straw man argument. I've never asserted they would agree to be "...rounded up and shipped off." I agree with you: they will not agree to be rounded up and shipped off. You can stop trying to convince me to abandon a position that I don't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
They have formed communities where they are, if you don't believe me then maybe you should volunteer to spend some time working with the homeless.
I'm too busy drinking excessively aged single malt Scotch and smoking Cohibas lit with $100 bills.

C'mon, Sleepy; propose a solution.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
I've never asserted they would agree to be "...rounded up and shipped off." I agree with you: they will not agree to be rounded up and shipped off. You can stop trying to convince me to abandon a position that I don't have.
But you've stated that you'd prefer to have them rounded up and shipped off.

Quote:
Should make it easier to round them up and move them to, say, the Northern Marianas Islands.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:18 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
How 'bout you, CA4Now? Do you have a solution to propose?

Old 09-14-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
How 'bout you, CA4Now? Do you have a solution to propose?
Scroll back, Sporty.

Quote:
I'm too busy drinking excessively aged single malt Scotch and smoking Cohibas lit with $100 bills.
Bottoms up.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:00 AM

872 posts, read 595,907 times
NO SURPRISE! The more money being taken for making the situation worse --makes the situation worse!!
The building owner gets hammered and fined bigly- the criminals get to move along to create more tax dollar flow- like cattle- not humans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles