Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2018, 04:26 PM

21,565 posts, read 16,072,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Tule:

What do you guess might be my objection(s) to a right to housing?
I asked because I truly want your explanation.

I could guess you simply don’t want anyone to get something for nothing.

I could guess you fear that housing would cost taxpayers (you specifically) a budget-breaking amount of money.

I could guess you fear the provided housing would impose loss of value on your property because you fear there would be no limitations on where housing would be forced.

I could guess you just simply don’t want people you consider dirty to have anything decent.

I could guess more. I might be right on some or all. Or you could tell me different.

My position in asking isn’t to call you out for any of those possibilities. My position is to ask: if you want the homeless off the streets, how would you get it done without crossing some of those fear lines without ‘rights’ to housing. ... and thus point out that: if you don’t want ‘rights’ to housing granted, you still have to house the homeless - OR - they stay on the streets.

Personally, I don’t care if they are granted ‘rights’ to housing. ... As long as they are removed from the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 04:51 PM

42,717 posts, read 25,880,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I am all for sticking to the constitution...that's that document that has no right to housing.
Right to housing is written into the New York state constitution, that is where one would expect to find something like that, dontcha think?

Old 11-01-2018, 05:57 PM

872 posts, read 587,265 times
You are totally onto something ! A CARAVAN TO NEW YORK !! Great idea!! Oh , it'll be difficult and expensive (wink, wink) but think of all the money New York "public servants" , advocates, and vendors will make... HUGE savings for CA.. (heck, let's include the whole west coast of the US) ....and virtually irreconcilable human misery... like almost immediately... give em all MAGA hats and sweat shirts and get em going, one step at a time.. .. ... headed to utopia..

Last edited by TCROX; 11-01-2018 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: Forgot to capitalize MAGA !!!

Old 11-01-2018, 05:59 PM

26,580 posts, read 26,445,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
My position is to ask: if you want the homeless off the streets, how would you get it done without crossing some of those fear lines without ‘rights’ to housing. ... and thus point out that: if you don’t want ‘rights’ to housing granted, you still have to house the homeless - OR - they stay on the streets.

Personally, I don’t care if they are granted ‘rights’ to housing. ... As long as they are removed from the streets.
Exactly.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:56 PM

13,563 posts, read 15,490,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Get this . Garcetti thinks 50,000 homeowners in L.A are going to build ADUs in their backyards to house the homeless . I’m sure he’s leading by example and has his setup ready to House a justice affected mentally ill homeless person .

This guy is so out of touch with reality .
—-

"People come up all the time and say, 'What can I do personally?'" L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti told KPCC's Take Two in an interview this week. "There's 500,000 single-family homes. We're hoping ten percent will build these. It will be 50,000 new units of housing."

Mayor Garcetti Is Hoping This Program Will Create 50K Homeless Housing Units In Angelenos' Backyards: LAist
LOL!

Pro-Tip: Anytime somebody predicates something by stating, "People come up all the time and say [...]", they're lying their ass off!

Sheesh, does this guy think we're all that freakin' gullible?

Old 11-01-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Hollywood boulevard/Gower today

Is this homeless man wearing a day without an immigrant shirt ?

Quite the setup ..

#ONLYINLA

https://ibb.co/mMRroL
Looks just like any number of places on the Westside. And what a nice little collection of comfy chairs he has to sit and drink his booze when he's taking a break from panhandling.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:21 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,286,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Looks just like any number of places on the Westside. And what a nice little collection of comfy chairs he has to sit and drink his booze when he's taking a break from panhandling.
Yeah it’s a shame . Westside wasn’t like that when I lived there . I mean there weren’t the tents like you see now . There would be some lone homeless that pretty much kept to themselves and were in the area for years but now you see these tents and homeless congregating together which isn’t good .
I was thinking that about the chairs , they got a nice little setup kind of like an outdoor mobile office ..... He had a buddy there too ( not seen in the pic )
Would this be considered “coworking space “ ?

I feel bad for these business owners that run businesses in these strip malls , I imagine they lose a lot of business due to the homeless .

Right near this tent encampment several brand new luxury buildings have sprung up .

It’s such a strange reality we have in this city .

1 bedrooms like $3500-4000 month ..
2 bedrooms 4-5k month .. for Hollywood Blvd . Nuts .

https://www.apartments.com/el-centro...es-ca/m5m52rl/

Old 11-02-2018, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Yeah it’s a shame . Westside wasn’t like that when I lived there . I mean there weren’t the tents like you see now . There would be some lone homeless that pretty much kept to themselves and were in the area for years but now you see these tents and homeless congregating together which isn’t good .
I was thinking that about the chairs , they got a nice little setup kind of like an outdoor mobile office ..... He had a buddy there too ( not seen in the pic )
Would this be considered “coworking space “ ?

I feel bad for these business owners that run businesses in these strip malls , I imagine they lose a lot of business due to the homeless .

Right near this tent encampment several brand new luxury buildings have sprung up .

It’s such a strange reality we have in this city .

1 bedrooms like $3500-4000 month ..
2 bedrooms 4-5k month .. for Hollywood Blvd . Nuts .

https://www.apartments.com/el-centro...es-ca/m5m52rl/

Yeah, it was EXACTLY as you described. You'd see one homeless person every six city blocks. Now, in some places, you'll see six or more homeless people in one block. And those little enclaves with tents, chairs, couches, etc. are a new thing within the past few years. What's next...bath tubs and jacuzzis set up on the sidewalks as well? Or perhaps big screen televisions with surround sound set up on the sidewalk so they can do full-on bum parties for watching sports games and stuff?

Old 11-02-2018, 07:41 AM

26,580 posts, read 26,445,339 times
Quote:
Yes, back when a cup of coffee cost 25 cents, a gallon of gasoline was under $1.50, and you could buy a starter house for under $75,000. (We owned a very small one in Venice; it shocks me to think of how much more affordable housing was back then.) Life was just not as expensive as it has been in the past few years, especially since the 2008 economic downturn, from which some people have never recovered.

Dr. Drew interviewing the homeless in Skid Row. This woman was in the mortgage lending industry when she lost her job, and stated that was the only field that she knew. She said that she didn't have issues with mental health, but "this place will give you mental health problems."

I don't know if Pinsky is playing dumb here, but he doesn't appear to realize that some people don't have family members to help them out when they suddenly fall on hard times. And this woman does....but she's too embarrassed to contact her out of state son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_bUooR61yQ

Old 11-02-2018, 08:45 AM

872 posts, read 587,265 times
Coming to LA today? couldn't still be in jail could he?? Public transportation gives 'em all a fresh start in a new area...
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/11/0...e-while-naked/
Free unsecured, unsupervised housing is an awful, awful idea... outside, wandering around, doing whatever...
Thanks gavin and jerry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles