Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 08:13 PM

239 posts, read 304,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeSFVHouses View Post
When I first graduated and moved to LA from the midwest a slew of college acquaintances moved around the same time. My job was in Woodland Hills and I was living in the valley. They were all unemployed aspiring actors who chose to move to the beach communities. 3 months or so in we happened to get together for a friend's standup show and I could hear them complaining about how horrible the valley was. These were people who had never even stepped foot in the valley and didn't have a clue. It was so pretentious and they were just regurgitating stereotypes they'd heard at one point or another.. 12 years later and all of them have moved back to the midwest because they couldn't afford/hack it. Every damn one.

Obviously from my screen name I'm a fan of the valley. It's always been a bedroom community to the stars and I think a lot of people who aren't familiar with it would be surprised to find out how many entertainment folk lives here. It's not uncommon to see a famous face at the Jamba Juice. It can be because the money goes further - or because it's more suburban there's a perception of more privacy. Is it hotter? Yes. But we have air conditioning and access to swimming pools. It's not unbearably hot THAT often. I think I prefer the quieter pace of life. And that I can find parking easier. Also, a lot of times on the other side of the hill I always feel like there's more ego. More people pretending to be something they aren't. It feels more like a facade. I feel like more people I encounter on a day to day basis feel genuine and authentic here. I respect the hard-working family vibe and proud to call the Valley home.
I'm sure in hindsight, your friends would rather be living in the SFV, than in the Midwest. They can't exactly get to their beloved beach communities in the Midwest, can they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 01:19 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohnson99 View Post
I definitely understand what you're saying from a walkability, and transit aspect. Although, I've sort of accepted that driving is a way of life in SoCal, for now anyway.
But for any large major city driving should not be the only option. Where I live I can walk to shopping, dining and entertainment. I can catch public transportation, whether bus, subway or lightrail. I just can't live somewhere where my only option to get around is only a car. I

Old 02-15-2018, 01:22 AM

567 posts, read 431,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
You think mass illegal immigration has been good for the valley ?
Property values are the highest they've ever been in the Valley, even in working class neighborhoods like Pacaoima, Sylmar, Arleta, etc.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:00 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
Property values are the highest they've ever been in the Valley, even in working class neighborhoods like Pacaoima, Sylmar, Arleta, etc.
Yes but that doesn't mean they are better today. Property values are historically high all over the city now .

Some assume higher prices mean there has been gentrification or improvement but not so in L.A.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:34 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohnson99 View Post
It seems like everyone in Los Angeles, who lives on the basin, hates the valley. I'm from NorCal, but I like all areas of LA, even the valley. My questions is - why do you hate the valley? What is it about the thought of the valley that irks you?
Whose everyone? Have lived in the Valley twice, Van Nuys(during Northridge) and in Studio City.

Other than getting too hot in the summer, nothing wrong with the Valley. And as others have said the heat there(which still cools down at night) isn't anything compared to places like Phoenix.

Perhaps you just watched the 80's movie "Valley Girl"?

Old 02-15-2018, 09:50 AM

300 posts, read 238,602 times
Default Educate Me, Please!

What areas encompass the VALLEY, and what areas encompass the BASIN? Thank you,

Old 02-15-2018, 11:09 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post
What areas encompass the VALLEY, and what areas encompass the BASIN? Thank you,
There is no strict definition of those terms, but general ones. I moved here last summer and learned that the valley - to most people - is roughly the area between calabasas, Sylmar and Burbank. Some people in the basin think the Valley goes all the way to Pasadena and Thousand Oaks/Simi (they are wrong).

The basin is geographically roughly from Santa Monica to Whittier to Irvine to Torrance.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:05 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Perhaps you just watched the 80's movie "Valley Girl"?
That’s a great movie! Good soundtrack too.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:27 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
That’s a great movie! Good soundtrack too.
L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti to Make Movie Acting Debut in 'Valley Girl' Remake
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ra...remake-1035317

Old 02-15-2018, 04:14 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
There is no strict definition of those terms, but general ones. I moved here last summer and learned that the valley - to most people - is roughly the area between calabasas, Sylmar and Burbank. Some people in the basin think the Valley goes all the way to Pasadena and Thousand Oaks/Simi (they are wrong).

The basin is geographically roughly from Santa Monica to Whittier to Irvine to Torrance.
Glendale is the farthest east the San Fernando Valley goes. Eagle Rock and Atwater Village are sometimes included in the San Fernando Valley due to their proximity to Glendale and sociocultural similarities to the Valley but they are Northeast L.A.

West of Calabasas you're in the Conejo Valley not the San Fernando Valley.

The San Gabriel Mountains are the northern boundary. Sylmar, Shadow Hills, and Lakeview Terrace being the northernmost Valley neighborhoods, although Sunland and Tujunga are often considered to be in the Valley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles