Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2016, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 1,934 times

Advertisements

Hey there,
Intro cut short. Not born in Los Angeles, but spent a lot of my youth and latter in this city.
I am currently 23 years old and I am looking to give back to the city that raised me.
I log into social media and see a lot of Gen Xs enamored in their selfies and trips to foreign lands.
Not a lot of people in my age group really give two shi*s about humanity overall. It's overall just taking selfies and letting the world know of your leisure. Yet not all of my generation aspires to be like that, even if we do indeed have the means. I guess I am looking for someone who is actively involved in the betterment of the community. Albeit downtown, SFV, etc. If there is anyone here who is regularly involved on helping the community i.e. soup kitchens, donations etc, please let me know as I'd love to learn to be a part of it. The google results seem a bit overwhelming to me, it would be nice to tag along with someone who is actually understanding of the community and culture. I am not a dummy to problems, visiting family through the Egyptian Revolution to recently visiting friends though the Brexit scenario. I will say that my background as a 'lifestlyes photographer' has indeed donated to the interest. Yet people only want to see simplistic, leisurely lifestyles, and completely shun the back bone, people who have built this city and who reside in the hot summers and cold winters. I hope to show that helping others and spending your weekend doing other things than pretentiously posing at The Standard are activities that can indeed engage young folks. Please feel free to message me, looking forward to being a part of a bigger movement in our city.

Last edited by jordan8anthony; 07-08-2016 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 04:26 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,100,640 times
I donate many weekends to helping Habitat for Humanity build low-income housing for families in need. I was sold on the idea after hearing the long vetting process they have to source hardworking families that are facing abnormal circumstances that could put them on the street. Rather than a blind monetary donation, you're doing something tangible and impactful for a family you actually meet.

It's also fun to use break stuff, shoot nail guns, and skip a day of work if your company provides volunteer hours.

Habitat For Humanity Los Angeles - Low Income Housing Services

Old 02-28-2018, 10:55 AM

277 posts, read 884,144 times
Default Any other places that you enjoyed volunteering at?

I'm interested in finding a place downtown to volunteer. Could you share your experiences of where you volunteered and why you like it or disliked it?

Old 02-28-2018, 11:38 AM

872 posts, read 596,357 times
Not exactly sure if this speaks to the OP or to anyone's specific avenue of service.. but here would be some general impressions I would share----
To me there are two types of volunteer service-you can try both whenever you wish:
1) Felt needs like food, clothing, shelter and medical
2) Intangible needs like education, emotional/ psychological support,activities etc..
Nothing wrong with doing research on organizations prior to contacting them.
Shop around for a "fit"- don't be discouraged or worried if things are not what they seem at first- that is to be altogether expected, right?
Learn as much as you can about what you are doing and don't be too quick to judge or quit- always improve on the "why" of what you are doing- the what and the how will improve with education and practice. Find ways to be a self starter-do more without being asked, be creative and innovative as your job description allows-make sure you counsel with those in charge respectfully and with encouragement.
Smile and be joyful- that is a great cost-effective donation to almost everyone- huge needs there too...
Beware of giving or helping with expectations of your own/ don't love others to really only love yourself. Humility is an awesome teacher and will really help keep your mind and heart open and active in what you are doing for others.
There is indeed a thing called spiritual warfare and there are entities that will try and confront the well meaning- to me prayer and keeping track of your team mates helps here.
Find mentors and make friends to support each other as you learn and grow- you will be hanging with the elite of which you will now become- giving back and helping is important, it means something, it DOES make a positive difference, and its a big reason why we were born- go for it!

Old 02-28-2018, 04:09 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,378,210 times
Hippie Kitchen @ 5th & Gladys. You don't have to sign up or go through any kind of orientation. Just show up @ 7:00am on Tuesdays, Thursday's or Saturdays

LA Mission is another and has all kinds of opportunities but you'll have to go through orientation before you can volunteer

I use to volunteer (and give money) to both, but they both have become so political i had to quit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles