Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 10:34 AM

13 posts, read 13,989 times

Advertisements

I live on the front lines in Hollywood. Daily, I witness the quality of life of working people being destroyed by criminal encampments--they are criminals ("homeless") running drugs and stolen property from their tarps.

Just one example in Hollywood, residents on my street have to put up with a rotating encampment of tarps and junk on an open space that we can't get the city to fence off. Along with the trash, there's urination and human feces. So the local working people and school kids are denied the use of that side of the street.

The Hollywood police liaison for the homeless told me that one homeless compound that was causing problems for residents refused housing services. She also said that "homelessness is not a crime," so they can't do anything about it. It doesn't seem to matter to the police that the group was engaged in prostitution, drugs, and fencing stolen property.

I have to spend a lot of money for cameras and a monthly alarm service. Before I added cameras, I believe a homeless criminal tripped a window alarm (I later found a screen ajar) when I was out of town and the alarm company called the police. About an hour later, a police officer arrived and saw no one, so issued me a $180 false alarm ticket....an example of why taxed residents get pissed off at the police and city.

I've called the police three times over the past few years when a homeless criminal jumped my fence--caught on video camera app. You ever try to call Hollywood LAPD? Wow--they don't pick up the phone, and then put you on hold with the most obnoxious recording loop ever used--trying to get you to hang up, my guess. You have to call 911 for any chance of a timely response.

Once, police caught a homeless criminal on my fenced property after I called 911 for a burglary in progress--as seen on my camera app. The police said I had to be there to press charges for trespassing (even though I had her on camera stuffing a bag with stuff from my porch--but she dumped it when they arrived). I told them it would take me at least 40 minutes to drive there from work. Police said they couldn't wait that long so they dropped her off at a local Hollywood homeless shelter.

We have an apathetic city government and police department, starting at the top. Mayor Garcetti's goal is higher office, not improving our city. He smiles like a Hollywood actor and spews his cliched pseudo-sympathetic lines about the homeless crisis, hoping it plays to a national audience. Garcetti and the city council have abandoned their Los Angeles residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 10:55 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
wow that's terrible you really are on your own on the front lines.... My suggestion is to move because as long as crapcetti is mayor nothing will change and even get worse.

What your describing with the thievery is a prime example of prop 47 run amuck, Too few cops, too many homeless, It sounds like Hollywood PD has thrown their hands up and just given up. Very sad for LA and you.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:22 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
I lived in HW until recently. OP is right. Personally I believe the incredible lack of PD support will lead to homeowner enforcement of Castle Doctrine.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:51 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
I lived in Hollywood for a year back in 2009-2010.. but homeless issue is a lot worse now overall in the city since then.

OP I experienced something similar in the valley when my house was broken into, apathetic response from LAPD and they almost treated me like the criminal .

I was also told even if they did catch the person they most likely wouldn't serve any time .

The laws are screwed up so the police don't even bother to enforce them . They are told from the higher ranks to treat the homeless with kids gloves .
Yes there has been homelessness in L.A a long time but it's gotten worse and there is now more a criminal element because they know the laws here are so weak .

Think about it if you were a criminal which state would you prefer to live in and which city ?

Hopefully one day we have people that care about decent citizens and taxpayers .
Nothing will change with the current people in power .

Old 02-15-2018, 01:25 PM

300 posts, read 238,460 times
The homeless population is destroying many cities: Hollywood, San Diego, and many other once fine cities. In Florida, the same thing is happening. I am 100% for housing the poor, however, we have certain groups for the homeless that are using white -kid gloves with them, and are tying the police, mayors' hands in many cities.

Many of the homeless are the product of our drug- addicted and alcohol, society. And many others, are the result of poor laws that have been drawn in place for the mentally-ill, by the politicians, that are also tying many hands.
And, WE, the TAXPAYERS, are paying the brunt of it. And I see no end in sight, because even with cities that have made lots of shelters available for the homeless, like NYC, cannot forced them to go into shelters, because of these laws. Go figure.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:35 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Homelessness is a symptom of a bigger issue in our society. Not all are criminals. Some end up resorting to the bad stuff after a while because they've given up.

You can't round them up because we're not Nazi Germany. But letting them rot on the streets and letting people fall into that position isn't helping.

It's gonna be a minute before we get things right.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:26 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Homelessness is a symptom of a bigger issue in our society. Not all are criminals. Some end up resorting to the bad stuff after a while because they've given up.

You can't round them up because we're not Nazi Germany. But letting them rot on the streets and letting people fall into that position isn't helping.

It's gonna be a minute before we get things right.
How many minutes? Do you think the folks in charge can really make things better ?

Old 02-15-2018, 03:08 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
How many minutes? Do you think the folks in charge can really make things better ?
No, honestly don't trust the word of anyone in office. Regardless of party.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:04 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Definitely not going to happen under the current bozos.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:40 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
wow that's terrible you really are on your own on the front lines.... My suggestion is to move because as long as crapcetti is mayor nothing will change and even get worse.

What your describing with the thievery is a prime example of prop 47 run amuck, Too few cops, too many homeless, It sounds like Hollywood PD has thrown their hands up and just given up. Very sad for LA and you.
Don’t need to move. Just stop voting these retards in these positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles