Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 10:04 PM

83 posts, read 122,259 times

Advertisements

Houses there are starting around $1.5 million these days. I am so surprised how great the schools are, and how many families are there.... but how did it "gentrify" so much considering the airplane noise and refinery? Of all areas, I find it so random that this place is so "family-friendly".

I don't think it was always like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 10:21 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
Location, location, location

Old 02-20-2018, 10:27 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
*Waiting to see what Majoun says about this topic*

Old 02-20-2018, 11:01 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan80 View Post
Houses there are starting around $1.5 million these days. I am so surprised how great the schools are, and how many families are there.... but how did it "gentrify" so much considering the airplane noise and refinery? Of all areas, I find it so random that this place is so "family-friendly".

I don't think it was always like this.
Several other neighborhoods in L.A/SoCal that are like this too. Much of the Westside was like this even.
L.A's stock price went up.
Lot's of high paying tech companies nearby and El Segundo has attracted a lot of new tech companies too as taxes are lower...and they've always had the aerospace industry. Chevron refinery employs a lot of people at high wages.
The city markets themselves as the business friendly city. Lower rents, lower taxes, easier to do business.

People are willing to pay a premium often to live out of the bounds of city of L.A - LAUSD, LAPD, etc. Better schools,safer, better city services, less homeless crazies and cleaner.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
1. Good location
2. Low crime
3. Excellent schools
4. Not part of the city of L.A. (goes along with #2 and #3)

Old 02-22-2018, 11:30 PM

136 posts, read 123,684 times
Honestly, I don't know either. On one side you have the refinery, on the other you have a poop plant. The city smells like a turd basted in gasoline.I know a few people who live there who, despite being very clean and nice, have the "El Segundo" scent of "poo a la petrol". It's kind of a gross place.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:52 AM

908 posts, read 1,303,399 times
It's primarily the Silicon Beach effect. If you want to live by the coast, have a job on the west side / South Bay, can't quite afford areas like Manhattan Beach and Santa Monica, but want to avoid the city of LA proper so you can put your kids in a better public school district, then I could see why people choose El Segundo.

While there are location advantages, given that it's wedged in between refineries and LAX, I can't imagine the air quality being all that great. I don't see the value proposition.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:28 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,900 times
Antiquated views expressed here, are exactly why El Segundo is flourishing. Hyperion hasn't been an issue for 20 years. I've never gotten a sniff from the Chevron refinery. Plane noise, yeah, there's still that. But like any other general annoyance, one gets used to it and doesn't notice it 98% of the time. And the $50K sound proofing that LAX paid for addressed it inside the home. Rarely get a whiff of the stuff the westside breathes in from downtown.

El Segundo is still a very family-oriented, small town, that still appreciates the Mayberry by the Sea moniker. How many cities, towns shut down their main street for a parade to kickoff the little league and softball seasons? Highly-rated school district. Residents don't have to pay for garbage collection and make a simple call for a free, oversized items, pickup. Free document shredding twice a year. Dive restaurants to posh ones. Police within 3-5 minutes when needed. Quick access to 105/405 freeways. Huge shopping plaza away from the residential area. And it's own beach.

Sure sounds like a crappy place to live.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:33 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Q: How did El Segundo get so expensive?

A: Because prices went up.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:52 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
I spend a lot of time in ES with family who live just west of the middle school. Great location, super commute if you work for the nearby aerospace companies, easy walk to a nice downtown with farmers markets, uber or taxi from LAX won't break the bank, easy access to bike baths that will take you to the popular beach towns to the south, nice library, good schools, well kept and clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles