Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 03:06 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
But when an elderly or handicapped person can't get around one of these scooters with their own scooter, walker, or wheelchair, that's not particularly considerate. Perhaps some of the hipsters using these scooters need to put down their smartphones and notice others outside of their immediate social circles.
I live in Santa Monica and haven’t seen that myself. The scooters have a pretty slim profile compared to a bicycle for example and I see plenty of bikes parked on the sidewalk (at city provided bike parking).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 03:19 PM

292 posts, read 569,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
This is what happened up in Seattle, too. You'd find these things just laying on peoples' yards, at busy intersections, thrown into fountains. My personal favorite was seeing one up in a telephone pole.

Funny thing is, I could count on one hand the amount of times I ever actually saw someone riding one.
Aren't these bikes rented/tied to somebody's credit card like the "Hulu" or "Metro" bikes in L.A? Some of these cases sound like good 'ol fashioned vandalism by people finding the bikes, not the ones renting them.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:23 PM

292 posts, read 569,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
I live in Santa Monica and haven’t seen that myself. The scooters have a pretty slim profile compared to a bicycle for example and I see plenty of bikes parked on the sidewalk (at city provided bike parking).
I've seen them just left on the sidewalk in Santa Monica many times. They are GPS monitored, and the scooters have this fact prominently displayed on them. I don't see them hanging around long in the same spot, so the company renting them out likely collects them on a frequent basis.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkingBlythe View Post
Aren't these bikes rented/tied to somebody's credit card like the "Hulu" or "Metro" bikes in L.A? Some of these cases sound like good 'ol fashioned vandalism by people finding the bikes, not the ones renting them.
The Santa Monica bike share bikes are tied to an account with a credit card number on file. That’s why I have never seen them unlocked “strewn about” since they would just charge your credit card for lost or damaged bikes. You can lock them up out of network but it costs extra so most people end up dropping them off at an in-network bike rack. Perhaps the city of LA has a different bike share arrangement but whole thread reads like a bunch of cranky people who have a strong opinion about something that they have no experience with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkingBlythe View Post
I've seen them just left on the sidewalk in Santa Monica many times. They are GPS monitored, and the scooters have this fact prominently displayed on them. I don't see them hanging around long in the same spot, so the company renting them out likely collects them on a frequent basis.
You’re supposed to leave them on the sidewalk. Just not in such a way that it obstructs traffic flow. I don’t really understand the complaints since people routinely park their bikes to city provided bike parking infrastructure in a very similar way.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:30 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
I've found three of four of them blocking the sidewalk on residential streets, around the area of Wilshire/Berkeley.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I've found three of four of them blocking the sidewalk on residential streets, around the area of Wilshire/Berkeley.
I live by Lincoln and Wilshire and have seen tons of Bird scooters parked on the sidewalk but never in a way that obstructs the pedestrian traffic flow. The scooters are so narrow that you’d basically have to park them in the middle of the sidewalk to obstruct pedestrians. Most users seem to understand that they need to be parked on either side of the sidewalk but not in the middle...

Old 02-28-2018, 09:41 AM

672 posts, read 2,175,312 times
You know, one might also notice that people leave their private automobiles parked all over the city. Every block has dozens of cars just parked on the street.

But parking your car wherever you want is a way of life here. It is so normal we don't notice it, and we're used to it.

But a bicycle left on the sidewalk, that is an outrage. haha

Old 03-01-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
You know, one might also notice that people leave their private automobiles parked all over the city. Every block has dozens of cars just parked on the street.

But parking your car wherever you want is a way of life here. It is so normal we don't notice it, and we're used to it.

But a bicycle left on the sidewalk, that is an outrage. haha
I don't know how many people with limited mobility have a need to travel down a street where cars park, but they certainly have a need to use the sidewalks.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:49 AM

672 posts, read 2,175,312 times
Quote:
I don't know how many people with limited mobility have a need to travel down a street where cars park, but they certainly have a need to use the sidewalks.
Exitus, it is very unlike you to stick up for pedestrians. I thought you said that anyone who didn't have a car didn't deserve to be in Los Angeles.

I'm glad to see you've become so compassionate.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
Exitus, it is very unlike you to stick up for pedestrians. I thought you said that anyone who didn't have a car didn't deserve to be in Los Angeles.
FALSE. Please do not attribute fallacious quotes to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles