Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 10:48 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

Another failed experiment ...

Also anyone know what happened with that pilot program where they were going to rent out hybrid or electric vehicles to low income folks in L.A?

—-
Mere weeks after dockless bike sharing was rolled out at Cal State Northridge, the complaints have already begun rolling in.

Offered by a company called LimeBike, the program allows students and others to borrow a bike, then drop it off at their destination, wherever that might be, once they are done.

But according to a motion authored by San Fernando Valley-area Councilman Mitchell Englander, there are now reports of the dockless bikes being deposited in places they shouldn’t be, such as on private property, or “strewn about” on a sidewalk, often blocking pedestrian and wheelchair access.

Englander writes that the city often has to pick-up after the mess, and the program has “caused the city to be overwhelmed with complaints about these bikes and other dockless modes of transportation.”

http://www.dailynews.com/2018/02/24/...oing-about-it/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 11:07 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
But according to a motion authored by San Fernando Valley-area Councilman Mitchell Englander, there are now reports of the dockless bikes being deposited in places they shouldn’t be, such as on private property, or “strewn about” on a sidewalk, often blocking pedestrian and wheelchair access.
But those bikes are simply doing what homeless people do, so...

Old 02-25-2018, 11:11 AM

In Santa Monica on a regular basis I see those silly little scooters strewn about too. I guess the companies that provide these scooters and bikes didn't take into consideration the number of slovens who'd be using them.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
In Santa Monica on a regular basis I see those silly little scooters strewn about too. I guess the companies that provide these scooters and bikes didn't take into consideration the number of slovens who'd be using them.
Considering how some people treat books and CDs from the libraries, you would think they would know this.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:43 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
It was a fail in China too ..

“ He said these programs have also been tested out in China, but failed due to similar problems.”

Old 02-25-2018, 05:08 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
This is what happened up in Seattle, too. You'd find these things just laying on peoples' yards, at busy intersections, thrown into fountains. My personal favorite was seeing one up in a telephone pole.

Funny thing is, I could count on one hand the amount of times I ever actually saw someone riding one.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:28 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,821 times
Come on people, somebody must have come up with a way to blame this on the homeless!

Old 02-25-2018, 07:12 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
We have recently had three (or four?) dockless bike/scooter share companies invade San Diego, thus far the programs seem to be going fairly smoothly. They’ve only been out citywide for a couple of weeks and I’ve rented them three times and love the concept. Walk a couple of blocks to find one (they are everywhere in my area), hop on a bike for a quick ride to downtown for a buck and leave it out of the way wherever you want. They are cluttering up a few corners of some popular areas, but I wouldn’t say they are necessarily destroying the fabric of the city as some seem to proclaim.

I‘ve seen the photo memes of the bikes strewn all over the place in Seattle- up in trees and the waterways- and it must be assumed that there always be a few knuckleheads that will abuse whatever amenity or resource they come across and certainly the bike share companies have factored this into their business plan. I do think there is an inherent bike hatred in this country that exists nowhere else, but agree that this concept has not been fully fleshed out wherever it has been launched.

Hopefully it will find an even keel of supply to the demand, better marketing information about proper usage/parking as well as the companies doing their part to clean up/pick up cluttered/obstructing bikes, and the knuckleheads will ultimately get bored of hanging bikes in trees and throwing them into the bay. I hope the concept is here to stay, as I love it and will use it often.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:40 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,015,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
In Santa Monica on a regular basis I see those silly little scooters strewn about too.
The Bird ride share scooters can be left anywhere. That’s part of their appeal. I find them to be really convenient for 2-3 mile trips and you don’t have to worry about parking your car when you get there. They’re quite a bit cheaper than Uber or Lyft for shorter trips. And the company picks the scooters up every night to charge them so they aren’t just sitting on the streets piling up. I can’t say that I’ve ever seen a ride share bike parked anywhere strange. They charge you extra to lock them out of network so people tend to drop them off at the designated bike racks.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
The Bird ride share scooters can be left anywhere. That’s part of their appeal. I find them to be really convenient for 2-3 mile trips and you don’t have to worry about parking your car when you get there. They’re quite a bit cheaper than Uber or Lyft for shorter trips. And the company picks the scooters up every night to charge them so they aren’t just sitting on the streets piling up. I can’t say that I’ve ever seen a ride share bike parked anywhere strange. They charge you extra to lock them out of network so people tend to drop them off at the designated bike racks.
But when an elderly or handicapped person can't get around one of these scooters with their own scooter, walker, or wheelchair, that's not particularly considerate. Perhaps some of the hipsters using these scooters need to put down their smartphones and notice others outside of their immediate social circles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles