Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:00 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursekourtney05 View Post
Thanks for all of the replys. To answer some of these questions I can tell you that my husband will not have a job quite as easily as me. Right now he works for Walmart Distribution Center. He has a degree in Business Administration but has yet to work within that field. He is also considering becoming a Real Estate Agent. We are unhappy here bascially because there is simply nothing to do. Nothing to look forward to, and no great opportunities for anything. It is rather blah and boring where we live. We have both lived here for our entire lives and are looking for better opportunities for ourselves as well as our children. On the upside, living here is quite affordable. We could own a very nice 2,500-3,000 sq foot house for $1,500- 2,000 per month, but what is the point of having a beautiful house if there is nothing else good about the area?? I know that we will not be able to afford to purchase a home in the Southern California area for a very long time. We would be stuck renting a small apartment for the price that we could have a beautiful home here. I am aware of that, that is a sacrafice that we would have to make for now. We are hoping that there are better job opportunities for my husband out there within the field of his degree, or at least in Real Estate. There is not a huge Real Estate market here and it wouldnt really be worth it to get involved in it here. I would be open to working in different areas but I love the idea of working in a great hospital like UCLA. I know that they have a big cancer center and Oncology Nursing is my specialty. Commuting long distances would not work for us at all, we would have to live somewhat close to where we work and where our kids attend school. Our children are our top priority, so the schools are very important. They are 11, 7, and 2 years old.
Have you spent anytime is SoCal? Are the schools good were you are? Would your kids be trading down schoolwise? They will be trading down "beautiful homewise". Is it possible you just need to take more vacations? Do they like their neighborhood and school? This is a tough one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 04:20 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,114,593 times
Since you have a career that is easy to find work with and your husband works for Wal-Mart have you considered Arkansas? I understand the NorthWest corner where Wal-Mart is headquartered is booming (a lot of people from Cali are relocating there) and he may have a better opportunity to use his degree. You'll get more for your money.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:05 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Since you have a career that is easy to find work with and your husband works for Wal-Mart have you considered Arkansas? I understand the NorthWest corner where Wal-Mart is headquartered is booming (a lot of people from Cali are relocating there) and he may have a better opportunity to use his degree. You'll get more for your money.
The OP is bored in upstate New York, so you're recommending she move to NW Arkansas??? That doesn't sound like a place she would be happy.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:10 AM

893 posts, read 791,003 times
Why don't you move to say North Carolina or Georgia? Walmart is big there and so is health care.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:55 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,114,593 times
Well, I guess there is a WalMart in exciting L.A.. I guess I've lived here too long because I don't get all the fuss. I might be one or two things more to do in L.A. than upstate NY or Arkansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles