Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 05:38 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Commercial has been increasing with residential, so what's the point of trying to solve a "housing crisis" if there are simply more people trying to live and work here?

Furthermore, as we've discussed before, you can double the amount of light rail and buses, but if you quadruple the number of people living here, then traffic is right back where it started. People go out and do stuff far from their home regardless of where they live -- just look at all the Lyft and Uber cars at any given time on any given day.

Like jammed up cities? Try New York, because that's not us out here.
Sad but true. More people are needed to pay taxes, but there is no room for them. Add tall buildings for apts and the rents will still be higher than most can afford. The solution is .. make enough money and ... elect intelligent people to office, not the ones who have done nothing to actually deal with the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 05:42 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Obviously you weren't living in California in the seventies when you could only buy gasoline according to the number/ letters on your license plate.

No one said that was fascist.
The state knew something had to be done about the fuel situation in the state, and they went ahead and did it.
The same principal will apply here.
If it removes 10 million vehicles off the roads on any given day, I'M all for it.
Bob.
Sure as long as you don't need to drive anywhere that day, like to work.

It won't move 10 million off the road at all, just cram up the roads all 7 days.

Tell you what, you ride a bus or train or walk everywhere and never buy a car. Set an example and convince your friends to do the same. Those who say they have a solution should do everything they can to show it will work ... oh and pay more in taxes so the city/County/State can buy the needed buses , trains, etc., and cut spending due to less gas being bought so less tax revenue coming in.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:08 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,110,337 times
Quote:
Commercial has been increasing with residential, so what's the point of trying to solve a "housing crisis" if there are simply more people trying to live and work here?

Furthermore, as we've discussed before, you can double the amount of light rail and buses, but if you quadruple the number of people living here, then traffic is right back where it started. People go out and do stuff far from their home regardless of where they live -- just look at all the Lyft and Uber cars at any given time on any given day.

Like jammed up cities? Try New York, because that's not us out here.
Its inevitable. Stop acting like this isnt the 2nd largest city in the u.s.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:30 PM

689 posts, read 2,581,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Tell you what, you ride a bus or train or walk everywhere and never buy a car. Set an example and convince your friends to do the same. Those who say they have a solution should do everything they can to show it will work ... oh and pay more in taxes so the city/County/State can buy the needed buses , trains, etc., and cut spending due to less gas being bought so less tax revenue coming in.
I do that already by taking bus/light rail to work every day. What is your solution and what are you doing to make traffic flow smoother?

Better yet, what are the solutions that you think conservative politicians will bring to the table if they are elected?

Old 03-03-2018, 06:53 PM

13,582 posts, read 15,647,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
I do that already by taking bus/light rail to work every day. What is your solution and what are you doing to make traffic flow smoother?

Better yet, what are the solutions that you think conservative politicians will bring to the table if they are elected?
City hall needs to halt all density increases until all proposed public transportation becomes available. If we still have too much congestion, then at least it won't be worse.

What is too much congestion is what you're going to ask, so I'll answer that by saying what we have now is too much. Lately, if you're on the freeways after 2pm and before 8pm, you'll get in a jam, and having an afternoon "rush hour" that actually lasts six hours is ludicrous.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:05 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
Quote:
City hall needs to halt all density increases until all proposed public transportation becomes available. If we still have too much congestion, then at least it won't be worse.

What is too much congestion is what you're going to ask, so I'll answer that by saying what we have now is too much. Lately, if you're on the freeways after 2pm and before 8pm, you'll get in a jam, and having an afternoon "rush hour" that actually lasts six hours is ludicrous.
Some years back I used to live in West L.A and commute to Brentwood it usually took 45 mins or more to get home even though it wasn’t that far distance wise . When I moved to the valley the commute became really insane. I wonder how long it would take today. Not sure if that multi billion dollar 405 project helped or not ..

Traffic can be bad in the valley but nothing like the Westside . You can also shop and run errands without having to pay for parking or get validations most of the time.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:46 PM

8,543 posts, read 10,962,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Sure as long as you don't need to drive anywhere that day, like to work.

It won't move 10 million off the road at all, just cram up the roads all 7 days.

Excuses. excuses, that is all you can offer.
You meant to tell me you couldn't sacrifice using your vehicle for one day?
You could carpool, or take public transportation that one day.
You, and people like you, are the reason we have this terrible traffic situation.
Too dammed selfish to give it up for one day.
That is pathetic.

Bob.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:32 AM

334 posts, read 285,604 times
We need a subway that goes everywhere so there's less traffic and people can live in more affordable cities

Old 03-04-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Some years back I used to live in West L.A and commute to Brentwood it usually took 45 mins or more to get home even though it wasn’t that far distance wise . When I moved to the valley the commute became really insane. I wonder how long it would take today. Not sure if that multi billion dollar 405 project helped or not ..

Traffic can be bad in the valley but nothing like the Westside . You can also shop and run errands without having to pay for parking or get validations most of the time.
Traffic is the same, because as the project was in the works, we added to the population, so traffic along the 405 is no better today than it was 12 years ago before the project was completed. That's what all these pro-density people don't seem to understand -- if we add to the population, then traffic congestion isn't alleviated by simply keeping pace with the population increase since we're significantly lagging in transportation improvements.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Excuses. excuses, that is all you can offer.
You meant to tell me you couldn't sacrifice using your vehicle for one day?
You could carpool, or take public transportation that one day.
You, and people like you, are the reason we have this terrible traffic situation.
Too dammed selfish to give it up for one day.
That is pathetic.

Bob.
I fail to see how giving up freedom makes a person selfish. Should we give up real property rights too so homeless people can cram into our homes?

Well then, I need to go because the SM mountains are calling me this Sunday afternoon -- I'm going to do a few canyon runs in my little project sportscar. It's totally unnecessary because my destination will be right back here, and I never shift before 4k in the canyons so I'll be staying on the torque curve and wasting a lot of fuel and spewing unusually high amounts of carbon with my totally unnecessary driving -- just be grateful I haven't de-catted...yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles